This draft just got a lot more complicated

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Jan 12, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't really understand the Lance buzz. To me he's a very slightly more athletic version of Fields but with dozens of question marks Fields doesn't have.

2. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

He has a better deep ball, he is a better runner, his throwing delivery is better and faster. The key components for a top tier QB are there.

I don't mind Fields but I rate him lower than Lance.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I want to say Fields was the most accurate deep ball thrower in college football last year so I'd disagree with that. A better runner yes but that's low on my list of priorities for a QB. Throwing delivery better and faster? Seems subjective and Lance had a hitch near the end of his delivery when I watched him. He adds a half step to his throwing motion, it's bad footwork.

I think the most important things for a QB are accuracy and avoiding interceptions. Both are things that Lance and Fields excel at although Fields has more evidence he can do it consistently and has done so vs. much better competition than Lance.

4. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

He actually has amazing footwork and throwing delivery

Kryoptix and REVISion like this.
  5. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

As pointed out, Trey Lance throwing motion is quite good, very quick, powerful, precise. He is also a physical freak. If he land with a team that is patient with him and give him good support (Similar to the Bills with Josh Allen) he will become a superstar. He has all the key attributes and I don't care about the level of competition.

I know people have questioned Trey Lance read (rightfully so) as he is a 1 read or run guy and rarely goes to the 2nd or 3rd option. But to me that is not that bad of a negative, let me explain, I would rather see my QB use his strength which is his arm/running ability to get progression on the field than scanning the field and get sacked or lose progression because the QB is too indecisive or worst force throw and get turnovers. In that sense, Trey Lance is amazing at getting rid of the ball very fast and that is very important in the NFL. Also my main issue with Fields is not unlike Darnold he is very indecisive with the ball and wait too long too many time for his players to get open which is worrying because at the pro level he won't have the same level of protection he had at Ohio state. Also his throwing motion is slower at releasing the ball, so yes Fields is an excellent runner and he can throw deep but he is not as good and efficient in that regard compared to Lance.

As for the level of competition, I could not care less. I mean Ohio State always have some of the best players in the nation and have (unfair?) advantage to other smaller school and dominate many games because of that. At the NFL the level of play is more fair and it is hard for big school QB to adjust at not having that extra protection as in college. That is part of the reason that many big program QB have a hard time adjusting at the pro level. (See all Ohio States/USC QBs)

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Why? Honestly, what makes you say this?

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I guess I’m putting in time on him. I saw highlights and was impressed. Now I need to watch some full games if all his snaps. He does have me intrigued

8. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Yup that's how I saw it too. That probably won't work on the NFL level. No thanks.

9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Here’s JT’s take on Lance. Not sure if it’s him or another evaluator who mentioned that the Bisons use a system that usually calls for two reads (or take off). It’s not that field vision can’t be developed, it’s just that it takes time and patience. Ravens did it with Lamar, who came in a bit rawer than Lance, but way, way freakier on the freak of nature scale.

Not sure that Jets have the luxury of time/patience. Most likely scenario for Lance ending up on the Jets is if they keep Darnold and Lance drops so that he’d be good value.

10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I like Lance and would gamble on him but not at 2. If we trade down, question is where do the Jets feel safe to get him? Will he def be gone before 10th?

11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'd say Douglas' job is sunshine and gum drops compared to the poor slob trying to run the Texans right now isn't it?