Things that have happened since the last Jets Super Bowl win

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets81, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s certainly not a complete list, and it ends at the start of the current decade. Feel free to fill in the blanks and add your own. I figure that once’s it’s nice and robust, we can send it to the Johnsons. Perhaps a nice billboard with just a link along the lines of www.NYJSB.com that will have the title of this thread as a banner on the top of the page and below will pop up random events from the list compiled here.

I keeed.

But seriously.

1. 1969—Americans land on moon
    2. 1969—Stonewall Rebellion in New York City marks first open resistance of gays to police repression, launches gay rights movement
    3. 1969—increasingly radical women’s movement protests at Miss America pageant in Atlantic City
    4. 1969—Cuyahoga River catches fire in Cleveland, drawing attention to massive environmental problems
    5. 1969—Woodstock music festival in New York
    6. 1970—Environmentalism becomes prominent; first Earth Day protests, creation of Environmental Protection Agency to enforce increasing number of environmental laws and regulatory agencies.
    7. 1970—President Nixon invades Cambodia, leading to massive protests, including killing of students at Kent State University and Jackson State University
    8. 1971—MASH begins its run as the most popular television show in American history
    9. 1972—Equal Rights Amendment passes Congress, but rise of conservatism dooms it in state legislatures.
    10. 1972—Richard Nixon and Leonid Brezhnev conclude talks on Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty, the most important treaty controlling the nuclear arms race
    11. 1972—Passage of Title IX, greatly expanding women’s access to college sports
    12. 1973—U.S. pulls out of South Vietnam, Vietnam united under North Vietnamese leadership in 1975
    13. 1973—American Indian Movement seizes Wounded Knee, South Dakota, leading to violent standoff with FBI
    14. 1973—passage of Endangered Species Act, leads to revival of threatened species such as the bald eagle, wolf, and grizzly bear.
    15. 1973—First large-scale economic crisis since Great Depression, leads to high unemployment and long-term economic uncertainty that lasts through remainder of 1970s.
    16. 1973—Roe v. Wade legalizes abortion
    17. 1974—Watergate scandal comes to light, resignation of President Richard Nixon
    18. 1977—Apple introduces Apple II, the first prominent personal computer
    19. 1978—California passes Proposition 13, drastically cutting property taxes
    20. 1979—Iranian radicals take over American embassy, hold dozens of Americans hostage until 1981.
    21. 1979—Three Mile Island incident—near nuclear meltdown ends period of nuclear power growth in U.S.
    22. 1980—election of Ronald Reagan to the presidency
    23. 1980s—President Reagan launches “War on Drugs,” results lead to imprisonment of 20% of young black men on nonviolent drug charges.
    24. 1981—AIDS first recognized, Reagan administration ignores it as gay disease until 1985, setting back research and dooming thousands to early deaths.
    25. 1981-87—Reagan administration supports right-wing movements in Central America, leading to civil wars and the deaths of tens of thousands.
    26. 1986—Iran-Contra scandal comes to light, embarrassing Reagan administration
    27. 1986—Challenger Space Shuttle explodes, event watched by nearly all schoolchildren because first teacher to enter space was onboard; national interest in space program declines
    28. 1987—Supreme Court recognizes legality of Indian gaming
    29. 1989—Fall of Berlin Wall heralds end of Cold War, breakup of USSR in 1991 ensures its end.
    30. 1991—First Gulf War begins period of long-term American military involvement in the Middle East.
    31. 1992—creation of North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), expands both globalization and outsourcing of American manufacturing jobs abroad.
    32. 1993—Internet becomes prominent
    33. 1994—Republicans win massive gains in Congress, Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich issues “Contract with America”
    34. 1994—California voters pass Proposition 187, designed to deny undocumented migrants all state services, leads to backlash against Republican Party and makes California a Democratic stronghold based upon Latino votes.
    35. 2000—Disputed presidential election, Supreme Court gives election to George W. Bush, voting on a strictly partisan basis
    36. September 11, 2001—terrorists attack the United States, over 2000 dead, begins “War on Terror,” invasion of Afghanistan, etc.
    37. 2003—President George W. Bush orders invasion of Iraq
    38. 2003—Latinos pass African-Americans as nation’s largest minority group
    39. 2007—Apple introduces the iPhone
    40. 2008—Election of Barack Obama to the presidency
    41. 2010—Arizona passes restrictive anti-immigration legislation, resurgence of racism and nativism throughout U.S.
    42. 2010—summer of 2010 sees record high temperatures around nation, flooding around the world, global climate change reaches critical tipping point

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

OK...Now I really feel old.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Sorry Cman! That was not my intent, of course. But FFS, it’s been a long time.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

43. September 12, 2010, the Giants host the first NFL regular season game in The New Dump v. the Carolina Panthers, defeating the Panthers 31-18. Weeks before, Woody the rube pitched a teenage girl hissy fit tantrum that the Maras, some league officials, and Goodell didn't respect him because they had a coin toss behind his back to decide which team would open the POS Palace. Woody wasn't invited.
    44. September 13, 2010, the Jets have their home opener in The New Dump. Kris Jenkins blows out his ACL again 3 plays into the game, Rex Ryan turtles, the Jets lose 10-9. It's our tailgate swan song. One of our members won a suite at a charity auction and treated us all. jeto had to see Jay Feidler's big fukking nose in profile all game long as he was yukking it up with his friends in the suite next to us in Hertz. With a Dolphins hat on his stupid head.

Jets81 likes this.
  5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

One night during the Bruce Coslet era, I drank like 20 beers and ate some mushrooms. Then I took two huge bong hits and wandered behind a garage to puke.

That's where I saw a RAT fucking a RABBIT.

My friends were skeptical, but I puked everything almost immediately and experienced no hallucinogenic effects that night whatsoever.

I'm just saying this absolutely happened, if you wanted to edit the list.

#5 twown, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Peebag and Jets81 like this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

45. September 19, 2010, the Jets beat the Cheats 28-14 at The New Dump after harassing sports reporter Ines Sainz over her ass at practice during the week. The Jets get knocked out of the AFC Champ Game on January 16, 2011. Sit on couch again, lather, rinse repeat.
    46. March 21, 2011, Jets idiot owner Woody Johnson gets hit by a car while riding his bike in Palm Beach, FL. Shows up to owners' meeting in New Orleans, LA on crutches. "I just got nicked by a car," Johnson said. "I wasn't wearing a helmet and all that stuff. You are supposed to do all that stuff. I didn't hit my head or anything. I broke my ankle. A driver is not supposed to hit bikes. Anyway, that's the way it went down." Oh, well, should've been worse. Oops! I meant could've.

Jets81 and Cman68 like this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

47 - The Jets begin their 2012 campaign with a 48-28 thumping of the Bills (sound familiar) en route to finishing out the season at 6-10.

8. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Wash.Rinse.Repeat.