The WAY too early "Grade the Jets draft" thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Apr 25, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True. We could have always brought Powell back. Dixon and Adams have some ability, and so does Jalin Moore who was on PUP or IR all year. I can't wait to see what he can do in TC. I'd love to see him stick.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Day 3 was about instilling the culture and bringing in those type of guys who were leaders at their respective schools. IIRC, all of the day 3 guys were captains of their team.

5- RB Lamical Perine (FLORIDA)- GRADE- B+
    ---I had mentioned that Joe would be looking to grab a RB. I had felt that the Jets would somehow try for a scat back, a speedster type who can make people miss in the open field. Well Joe went for a guy who can actually be the next feature back here. Perine fits the bill as a all-around good RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield, while displaying the power necessary to run between the tackles and he has just enough speed to break big runs. The only thing he doesn't have his blazing speed but that's fine.

6- QB James Morgan (FIU)- GRADE- C
    ---I was a huge fan of grabbing Anthony Gordon but the Jets instead took a risk on Morgan, a kid who has a powerful arm and the arm talent to make all of the throws. I didn't necessarily care for this pick being made in the 4th round (while there was possibly WR help still around) but the hope here is to make sure there's adequate QB talent in the room, so you won't have to rely on the QB's that were run out on the field last year. Fales and Falk were "smart" QB's but their arm talent was subpar. Morgan needs work, especially on ball placement but he can throw with the best of them. Purely a developmental guy and honestly one you hope you won't have to see, aka, keep Sam upright all year.

7- T Cameron Clark (UNC-C)- GRADE- B+
    ---There was a need to grab a young kid who can be groomed for the interior of the offensive line with Winters, Lewis and Van Roten all getting up there in age. Clark played tackle in college and has a ton of experience but he's been said to be a candidate to be moved inside. What I love about Clark is he's in a similar mold of Becton...he's a pure nasty blocker that will change the culture on this line. In that sense, I love the pick.

8- CB Bryce Hall (UVA)- GRADE- A-
    ---Easily my favorite pick of the day 3 guys, Hall was a 3 year starter and was likely a borderline 1st round selection had he not broken his ankle. I think what dropped him was partially due to the lack of medicals on Hall but he was a straight shutdown corner. I think if he can show he's healthy and over any injury concerns, you are looking at a starter. He has the ball skills and enough speed to be a starter here. Grabbing him in the 5th round is a good risk especially if he can regain what made him great before the injury.

9- P Braden Mann (TAMU)- B-
    ---You may question taking a punter in the 6th round but we must keep in mind that the Jets have one of the top ST coaches in the league right now. Lac Edwards was a good directional punter with a solid leg. Grabbing the best punter in college, one who's basically Lac Edwards but with a much powerful leg and just as much a directional punter, makes this a good selection.

I feel this was a great draft that addressed much of the needs and filled necessary depth throughout the roster. I liked the way Joe maneuvered through trades to acquire more picks, trading down and still getting Mims. Also grabbing Quincy Wilson for a 6th rounder to further bring in good competition in that CB room is key as well. Wilson will be up for a contract so he easily will be motivated to win a starting job here. Bless has tons of talent but now there's loads of competition for him to step his game up. Hall, I just feel he is the future if that ankle is fine. Overall, well done Joe.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and mattyd99 like this.