The time is right for McNabb

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JUNJOBX2199, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Quack

Quack New Member

Of course they're both toss-ups. They're unproven as starters in the NFL - Ratliff has never started in the NFL, and Clemens had one of the worst o-lines ever seen in front of him (thanks to Clarke and Clements).

Running a spread offense like NE's, Clemens could play just as well as (and maybe better than) Cassel did. As of the last time we saw them (Clemens and Ratliff this preseason), neither of them were ready. Next season? Who knows. Clemens may be better at reading defenses while taking his drop and thus won't get as flustered, making him a much better QB than he has been. Ratliff may actually get more than one yard of depth (if he even gets that far) on his drops and may improve the accuracy on his fastballs. We can't know how the two have progressed during the season, or how they will progress during the offseason.

The Jets have two quarterbacks that are (in my estimation) one skill away from being able to start in the NFL. Above all other things, Clemens needs pocket presence when taking snaps under center and Ratliff needs depth on his drops from under center. Both are problems stemming from the spread systems they played under in college. Ratliff's problems can be fixed by coaching - Throwing mechanics and footwork. With Clemens, however, I feel that his problems need to be fixed by himself. You can't coach confidence, and it is up to him to keep his mind clear so that he can run through his progressions while dropping back as opposed to worrying about the pass rush.

#21 Quack, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

McNabb = Penny with an arm and a tan

No = No

Next question.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There's been plenty of off the field drama since TO left. I also think alot of what TO said about him is probably true.

McNabb somehow always seems to be controversial. I think he'd be a poor fit with the media here.

He also has some strong parallels with Chad, particularly including a history of fragility and failing to step up in big games. His arm is stronger, though.

He'd have to learn a whole new offense.

I just don't see the upside.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

His owner already has said that he will be back in Philly, it doesn't matter if he is happy or not. He is under contract and not leaving Philly.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

First, Philly has already said they intend for McNabb and Reid to return.

Second, if we're going to have a QB on the downside of his career, give me the surefire, first ballot HOFer.

Third, I've always liked McNabb, but I'm really starting to wonder if he's really (or ever has been) as good as I thought.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Please, lets stop trading one great over the hill QB for another. Enough. Lets get our own younster and give him time to develop.

7. mreeve1128

mreeve1128 New Member

living in South Jersey, I am inundated with McNabb stories all the time in the papers, so I've seen first hand his downside. Having said that.....I'd take him on our team any day. A change of scenery might be just what he needs.

8. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

He is a better option then Favre.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Not only does McNabb have trouble winning big games...he's a huge injury risk. PASS.

10. mreeve1128

mreeve1128 New Member

plus, like shade says, he is a better option than Farv (sp?). McNabb's numbers are pretty darn good.

11. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

McNabb isn't going anywhere.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I think people need meds around here. We have no shot at getting McNabb. I don't love him but the guy is a top NFL QB and he isn't going anywhere.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I think our franchise QB will come out of the 2010 draft....this year's crop isn't that great...especially where we draft in the first round, it'll be slim pickens. The FA pool stinks as well. Our cap situation is quite rigid. Hopefully we'll have a "game manager" type QB that can get us through the upcoming season.

15. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

McNabb makes $10 mil which is $3 mil less than Favre if Favre retires & we could get McNabb & still have another $3 mil to sign a free agent WE WOULD BE CRAZY NOT TO. Also past his prime he is 31 he has at least another 5 good years & he has a great arm. McNabb has led his team to 5 NFC title games in 10 years 5 in the last 8 & he has done this with NO WR'S the 1 year he had 1 good WR he made the Super Bowl & if the Pats werent such big time cheaters he would have won it they lost by a fieldgoal. If we could get him we would be stupid not to & all of this we need to use our guys is BULLSHIT WE NEED TO WIN PERIOD ALL THAT MATTERS IS WINNING FORGET WHERE THEY CAME FROM WHO CARES !

16. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I think we should get Adrian Peterson from the Vikings, Peyton Manning from the Colts, Ray Lewis from the Ravens, Larry Fitzgerald from the Cards, Haynesworth from the Titans, Merriman from the Chargers and Polamalu from the Steelers.

FORGET WHERE THEY COME FROM! ALL THAT MATTERS IS WINNING!

17. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

McNabb isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't waste your time imagining him in any other shade of green.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

STOP...we are not TRADING for McNabb and McNabb is not being cut and McNabb is not a FA.

19. XGBer-Moving_On

XGBer-Moving_On New Member

AS goes Westbrook so goes McNabb, this has been true for a number of those NFC Championship Game runs

20. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Yeah, so why the hell wouldn't you want him?