The thread to end it all...... WR vs OL

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jedi mind tricks, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Which do you want to draft in round 1?

1. WR

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. OL

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I voted OL this has been a problem for us for many years. Let's take care of the problem once and for all. OL OL OL

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think we are severely underrating Josh Jones as well, we keep saying 4 but there might be 5 good lineman at the top

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this! He definitely looks like a great prospect and a very good football player. Great hands, pretty good speed, tall, strong, he blocks, good on STs blocking a couple of punts even causing a fumble. I would definitely like to add him to our team.

#23 NCJetsfan, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I read one article that said that Jones would be a perfect fit for our zone blocking scheme. If we could trade down, get Jones, and then add a 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th this year and a pick in the first 3 rounds next year, that would be awesome. We could possibly add Mims or Pittman with one 2nd round pick, add a CB with the other, then in the 3rd round possibly add Chase Claypool or Tyler Johnson and either another OL or an Edge (Josh Uchee?).

Then again, I would be ecstatic with Beckton/Thomas/Wirfs and Mims/Pittman (1-2 in the draft).

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I stand with NC on this one. I want either Beckton, Thomas, or Wirfs with the #11 pick, I guess probably in that order of preference although to be honest they all look so potentially awesome I'd be happy with any of the three.

Then just do the best you can with WR in the rest of the draft. I'd love Lamb or Jeudy too obviously but some of these "second tier" guys in this draft look like they are more than capable of being impactful WRs. Protect Sam and help launch Bell. Its like getting your homework squared away first THEN figure out what movie to watch.

If those three guys are already gone though..... plans may have to get altered.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

What does where he is picked have to do with whether he is or could be a #1 WR? He definitely looks like a #1 WR to me.

7. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'd vote for a WR at #11. Possibly package both thirds and acquire an additional 2nd rounder. Use both of those picks in OL.

8. NCJetsfan

The Jets need more picks in the first 3 rounds, not less. They cannot afford to trade up. That would be totally stupid.

TwoHeadedMonster and Skicats like this.
  9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I've been reading several scouting reports about him and there all of the common opinion that he is scheme specific and a bit tight in the hips - lacks the long deep threat and weak in separation because of his long strides - a slow burner. But he's got great physical presence and is supposed to be a great blocker.

The highlites seem to bear this out but he'd certainly be a nice compliment to what Crowder lacks in those areas. I just think Mims, if he's still their for the 2nd pick, would be a better option.

10. NCJetsfan

Thanks. So, it's really about the prospect and not where they are drafted.

11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I would like to see a trade with Jacksonville or a team in that area. They have a young QB who needs weapons as well. Get the #20, their 2nd and a 4th (Similar to the Devin Bush trade last year). We then have pick 20, 42, 48, 68, 79, 116,120, 158, 191, and 211. We can address OL, WR, and edge/cb with the top 3. Get another OL and wr with the next 2 and afford to trade back up into the third for edge/cb while keeping enough picks for depth. Fills our roster out nicely. Someone like Austin Jackson or Justin Jefferson is not a huge drop off and could be day 1 starter with upside. Add to that you get another 2nd round talent with upside in an edge/cb prospect, I think it's worth the trade.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I think a trade down would be great, but I would rather take Josh Jones or Justin Jefferson. I don't think Jackson's a very good prospect. He's athletic and mobile, but seems "soft" more of a finesse-type player, and needs to get a lot stronger. He also has a lot of technique issues to fix. I think he'll need to sit for a year or two while he refines his technique and gets stronger. I don't think a 1st round pick should be a long term project. I think if the Jets tried to start him day one or even year one, he'd wind up getting Sam killed.

From NFL.com draft profile:

Weaknesses
    • Technique issues show up on tape
    • Footwork can be jumpy and undisciplined
    • Needs to improve upper body and core strength
    • Infrequent use of inside hands diminishes power
    • Lacks hand placement to sustain and steer the defender
    • Low hands can be tardy to land first
    • Too much hunching forward into punch
    • Overextends causing fluctuation in base width
    • Average body composure to handle counters

From thedraftnetwork.com:

Cons: He appears to have some balance issues and doesn't bend exceptionally well. He's been on the ground some and has shown instances of getting his shoulders far over his toes. His punch is average but has some latch strength in his hands. While he lacks elite overall strength and can afford to get stronger, his play strength as is will suffice. Has some issues with speed rushers on the edge and doesn't have great lateral agility to redirect on a counter. Has had some inconsistent hand placement. Struggles to get to cut off on the backside and to engage moving defenders at the second level. Doesn’t play with a nasty streak and I’d like to see him improve as a finisher, as well.

He projects with sufficient swing ability, however, his skill set may be best suited at RT.

#32 NCJetsfan, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020