The Tannenbaum Thread (likely to "be relieved" Monday)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheBlairThomasFumble, Dec 24, 2012.

1. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the season records for the Pats, Ravens, Steelers this past decade and I'm not seeing many mistakes or down times. Definitely not in back-to-back seasons. Also, none of those franchises have been the laughing stock of the NFL for any period of time.

They are the standard we should look to follow. If Rex & Tanny had just concluded their 4th consecutive winning season, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

OBrien was elite. The (dis)organization ruined him.

Withe the right OC Sanchez is talented enough to be somewhere between Pennington and Obrien.

Tannys only gone if Polian comes on board.

Which would be good, because Polian is offensive minded, and would fill the gap that having Rex has.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Total BS. Mangini and Tanny built both the 08 and 09 team. Both of them were loaded on D and had outragous running games. The 10 Team was already in decline on the defensive side and we all know what happened in 11 and 12. The Jets have been in decline since Rex was brought in. He did a great job with the talent he inherited in 09 and started to address the defensive issues last year. He has lorded over a complete downward spiral on the offensive side of the ball.

Tanny has drafted 2 franchise QB's neither of which have panned out.

Nobody was calling for continuity when Mangini was canned to save Tannenbaum's job.

#103 Biggs, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if that were the case, the report would also say that Woody is also firing Rex. You see, a new GM can't fire Rex unless Woody wants to.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

WJ is way to late Woody should have started during our bye week or even earlier then that :sad:

6. Hobbes3259

How long did it take Bill cowher to get to a SB?

Or Phil Simms?

Stability, and lessons learned are what makes organizations successful.

Tanny has put together the best defensive backfield in the NFL, one hell of a DLine....and on opening day next year, you'll be lining up Holmes,Edwards,Hill,Kerley, Keller,Cumberland on the other side.

The team lost its best offensive player, Holmes...when they acquired a raw talent to complement him on the outside, then lost the best defensive player in the league....and still managed to hover at 500....

Perspective,please.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They just lost back to back games against two of the worst teams in the NFL.

8. Hobbes3259

Mangini was a victim of the media.

Herm got fired,Mangini got hired and inherited a 10 win team, with a healthy Pennington.
    Then he became a victim of his alleged success.

The only staff that needs to go, is Sparano.

DBS
    Cro,Revis,Wilson,Bell,Landry.

Dl,
    Pouha,Mo Wilk,Coples.

No need to list the LBs, they need a little speed...but can be upgraded in the off season.

Next year, you'll be lining up Edwards,Holmes,Hill on the outside, and Kerley,Keller, and Cumberland on the inside.

That's a pretty good roster.

You cannot blame the injury spurt that forced Gates,Gilyard and Rheuland
    Into the skill set on the GM.

If you had an OC with a screen and slant game (see Pats, Brady), that's replaceable.

When you keep hiring OCs stuck in the 70s, it fucks you.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

And Cavanaugh too

10. Hobbes3259

Gates.

Gilyard.

Rheuland.

Sparano.

Do you seriously suggest that if we had Norv, and lined up Edwards,Holmes,Kerley,Keller,Cumberland for Sanchez....the outcome would be the same...l

Oh, and also not having lost the best defensive player in the league?

11. You heard me right. Jet fans don't have the patience to allow for young players to go through growing pains in order to DEVELOP into high producers. The very first sign of mental errors in training camp/preseason & Jet fans are screaming from the high heavens to fire everybody in the scouting dept & listing the given player among Blair Thomas & Roger Vick.

How can a QB that started for a team that went to 2 straight conference titlt games be an all time bust? Disappointment?Maybe. But catastrophic?

If Tannenbaum is gonna have negatives for Gholston & others..doesn't he get credit for D'brickashaw, Mangold, Kerley,Slauson,Washington,Brad Smith, etc?

Greene & Bilal Powell stink? Sorry...you & I must have very different standards of what "Stinks" means.

12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

His draft picks aren't a problem. People whiff on them all the time, and hindsight is 20/20.

It's that absolutely useless contract extension given to Sanchez that has crippled us. Do you really believe that Sanchez has earned that guaranteed pay and extension?

13. Hobbes3259

Lol, yes agreed...

14. Petey

Petey Active Member

If the Jets fire Sparano and Cavanaugh, perhaps they could try to land both Norv Turner AND Chargers QB Coach, John Ramsdell (assuming Ramsdell is also canned). He was the Rams' QB coach from 1999-2002 (helped develop Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger) and then 2006-current helping develop Philip Rivers. Having a couple of guys with extensive experiencing developing Quarterbacks and being apart of great offenses would really help Mark and the Jets' offense as a whole.

15. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, not all Jets fans. You don't represent me. Perhaps the problem is the impatient Jets fans like YOU who can't sit through a proper rebuilding process.

16. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Only think I can hope for is that by firing him we get a better gm not someone just as bad

17. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

How can you say Tanny is only gone if Polian comes on Board???? Woody is already looking, the writing is on the way. If by some chance Tanny comes back the fans will revolt.

18. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Tannenbaum has assembled some talent and I think coaching/atmosphere has something to do with the underperformance of the team overall. However, while no GM is perfect, his laundry list is pretty damning:

- Offensive line. Below average at both guard spots and right tackle. No depth behind the starters, no resources other than the Vlad pick a couple years ago spent.

- Offensive weapons. I think McKnight has never been used properly but with that said, even before Holmes injury, the receiving corp is below average. Keller is a nice piece but isn't a game changer. Pretty much every player on the offense is slotted in a role too high. Holmes should be a #2 receiver, Keller paired with more of an every down player, Hill should've been given more time to grow, Greene/Powell better suited as backups, etc.

- Guaranteeing more money to aging vets. The lack of flexibility he created with re-doing Scott & Pace was a big mistake. I respect the idea of pushing your chips in, but when you bust, there's a price to pay.

- Tebow. If he was involved with it at all, it's a blemish. The lack of foresight of what it would do to the environment let alone his extremely limited ability is something that the entire decision making team completely blew.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Jets fans in general are one of the most negative fan bases in the league. I feel many Jets fans want to fire people or get rid of people just because it brings them joy that they're both proven right that the guy can't get the job and that they feel someone has to go down all the time to make up for a bad season. Some of the same people who wanted Mangini gone now wish he was back.

I'm with Murrell, I'm 50/50 on Tannenbaum being fired. He's done good things since he arrived as GM, but some of the bad recently has been tough to overcome.

The biggest problem is that the last few drafts have been mediocre and the quarterback position has been a mess. Of course, Tannenbaum is the GM, so he needs to do a better job.

Tannenbaum and Rex have had success here, and they've done it with a weak quarterback. I've said all year, if Rex gets a quarterback, he'll win a lot of games here.

I prefer continuity to build a good team. It's not like Rex hasn't had success here. He'd be on the hot seat heading into next season for sure, but if you don't take away the team's most important offensive and defensive weapons in the first five weeks of the season, that's tough to overcome with a top-heavy salary cap. That's one of the risks you run.

I don't think this team is as far off as some think. The key obviously is getting a quarterback, and getting him one or two more weapons. It's easier said than done, but with the right pieces, this team can get right back in contention.

If the Jets clean house and bring in a new regime, bottom line, they better make a good choice or we'll be set back five years. Ideally, I'd like to bring in a new GM and keep Rex, though at the same time, I don't want to force a coach on a new GM.

20. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

The problem that I see is that the culture built under this administration is to make splashy moves, rather than to build for long-term success. I don't know if this is Woody, Tannenbaum, or Rex. Staying the course is the right plan when you are thinking with the future in mind.

As I said in a previous post, I am not a clean-house proponent...but somehow, this group needs to admit culpability and make some significant changes. Whether that is the GM, coach, or just other pieces remains to be seen, but we can't continue on this path. Otherwise, we will see Michael Vick as our QB, Shonne Green getting a contract extension, and the loss of more draft picks.