The Tannenbaum Thread (likely to "be relieved" Monday)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheBlairThomasFumble, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So I take it you would have retained Mangini?

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm half and half on this. On one hand, I am so disgusted at how the offense and roster were mis-managed. On the other hand, he has made some good moves thru the years. I'd like to see some better talent evaluators on the team to manage the Roster and leave Tannenbaum to manage the contracts / salary cap.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Wow Junc, you make it sound like this team is going nowhere without MT, who is to say the guy woody brings in cant fix this in one season?

4. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Tanny's big mistake wasn't all the draft picks traded away or the missed draft choices. It was probably Woody that wanted the team to be loaded to sell out the new arena anyway, and it was for example Mangini that was sure Gholston would be a success.

Tanny's big mistake was to overpay everyone and their mother. If you are hired as a numbers guy, that's the one thing you can't fuck up.

5. I'm w/ Junc. Tannenbaum is not perfect & has made same bad moves since the lockout. But the revolving door some of the whiners of this fanbase want will never result in sustained success. Ever.

At some point you have to allow your front office to fix their mistakes b/c every front office makes them.

6. Who is to say that MT can't fix this in 1 season?

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

cincy should have fired lewis, and they still should.
    chicago should have fired smith, and they will do it 4 years too late.

its a matter of vision and whether you think that a particular group is the one that will lead you to the superbowl or whatever your objective is.

the redskins are better now because they are building a team with depth and skill and they have stopped acquiring the bruce smiths and deion sanders and every other big name that was over the hill.

just like tanny bringing in all of his big name over the hill we can fix em guys for his superbowl run.

and then giving them money that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get any depth.

THEN giving up draft picks year after year further depleting depth.

we had one wr go down for the year, we had nothing behind him. thats on tanny.

keller played a decent amount this year, hill played most of the year and this is football, you arent going to go without injuries. you need DEPTH.

we have none because we have a poor philosophy and i feel there is no vision for the future.

8. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

This team is comically bad. Allowing them to touch this roster again is a very bad idea. Time to flush. As a fan, we should all be embarrassed on what went on this season...also considering the meltdown last season as well.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You're assuming change is bad.

But I'm not sure exactly how getting a new GM with a better philosophy affects players on the field.

If the new GM decides to clean house and bring in his own coaching team, that's a different story.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm more concerned with them touching the 2013 draft.

11. Were you embarrassed in 08-10 when this same regime built arguably the most talented roster in team history?

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The six seasons he has had to draft properly and sign FA which should have allowed us to be a number one or number two seed and have a bye week.

With MT as our GM we will be average to below average, struggling to make it into a wildcard spot, the record speaks for itself.

I also don't want to hear about out playoff wins, a wild card team has to play more games than a #1 or #2 seed as has been mentioned.

Time to move on, and I'm no whiner, I just see the product on the field and the big picture that MT has painted, playoffs included.

#92 Red Menace, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tanny giving Sanchez a guaranteed 2013 mega-bucks extension may have been a brilliant career move.

From Woody's perspective, if he's forced to keep Sanchez on the roster one more year, he may as well keep the rest of the clowns too. Then clean house if need be.

Tanny bought himself and Rex another year with that contract extension.

14. Hey I've lived through the Walton/Coslet/Kotite/Kirwin eras. Don't assume that change is always good either. I know Incompetence when I see it. This current regime has made some bad decisions but is far from incompetent.At some point fans have to allow one of these regimes to fix their mistakes. The way this league is set up..you are going to have down years unless you have an elite QB. Unfortunately this franchise hasn't had one of those since the late 60's.

Change can sometimes be good...but stability can sometimes be good too.

15. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Via free agency?

Quick fixes. We all saw the writing on the wall during the 2010 offseason that the talent was gone.

Our drafts have stunk. 2009-2010 drafts have absolutely killed this team.

16. Who gives a crap how they did it? I don't care if they raided a local homeless shelter for a good DB..or they captured some monster OL prospect in some 3rd world country.

Bottom line is..in 50+ years as a franchise 08-10 is arguably the most talented group the franchise has ever fielded.

I love all this talk about building through the draft. That's more comical than anything to me. Jet fans want us to build though player development..but the first time an early draft pick has a lousy game/growing pains..the fans scream & yell that he's a bust & should have never been selected. This fan base will never ALLOW us to build though the draft. How's that for an opinion?

17. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

I agree with the remarks about stability and MT and Rex between 08-10 built a talented Jets team. But this team is definitely void of talent, and at some point you have to be able to adjust in terms of building your team. You cant give away picks like the Jets did in a couple of drafts. And when you have so few draft picks, thats when you have to make sure you hit on those picks and they have not.

18. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

What do you mean the fans wont let a team build through the draft? They really dont have a choice.

Tannenbaum has had horrific drafts. He has Gholston and Sanchez on his resume...two monolithic busts....in back to back seasons.

Under Rex we've drafted 4 running backs(one of the easier positions to scout) and they all stink.

The roster has been assembled by guys that really dont have a clue. Trading away picks...its been a mess.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Odd that gets reported that The same day that they say Polian wants back in.

20. Munich1860

Munich1860 New Member

:up:
    YES - lets move forward:drunk: