The Tannenbaum Thread (likely to "be relieved" Monday)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheBlairThomasFumble, Dec 24, 2012.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

People don't get that, there are times when you should give up on a guy quickly(think us w/ Kotite or NYG w/ Ray handley) but Rex has proven he can win at a high level, he's had a couple of mediocre/bad seasons. All coaches go through this, Rex doesn't have a Tom Brady to rescue his team every year. Let's look at some examples:

-wash could have fired Shanahan
    -NYG could have fired Coughlin
    -Hou easily could have fired Kubiak
    -Cincy & marvin lewis
    -Chi & Lovie Smith

The Ginats are not going to postseason but have 2 SBs after nearly firing coughlin, Wash is going to the playoffs, Hou has a 1 seed, Cincy is going back to back for the first time since '81/'92 and the 2nd time in franchise histor and Chi is likely going. Just b/c you have a bad year or 2 doesn't mean you clean house. That sets organizations back, Tannenbaum has proven he can build a winner, Rex has proven he can coach a winner. They deserve another shot. Next year if we are sitting here around this time discussing the 3rd missed postseason in a row then we discuss making a change.

2. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Last year it was Schotty and this year Tanny is the fans choice to fall on the sword. Why not do the obvious choice and just clean house....its been 4 years of loud...classless....overhyping....and underachieving years under this whole staff.....I actually miss Mangini....wow...can't believe I said that....time to push reset on this team.....again.

3. nyjunc

Yes. We may need to tweak the scouting or decision making process but he should still be our GM.

4. nyjunc

How do you underachieve reaching 2 AFC Championship Games in 4 years? We made 2 from 1970-2008, from 2009-2012 we made 2.

Do you guys watch football?

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Mike Tannenbaum should be fired for the RIDICULOUS contracts he gave both Sanchez and Holmes alone. Those stupid contracts have set the franchise back a good two years. Not to mention the fact that, this year, when we've had injuries before the trade deadline, we kept looking at practice squad players and super scrub free agents instead of some fairly well known free agents still out there.

Hopefully the new GM will decide to keep Rex, who's definitely earned to stay here a LOT more than Tannenbaum.

6. nyjunc

yes b/c all the great FAs on the street in october surely would have helped us, did you see all Plax did to help Pitt?

7. ArmandJ

He did a lot more than Chaz Schillens ad Glyde Gates. And certainly, a LOT more than Jason Hill.

8. nyjunc

so his 1 reception for 18 yards was more than what Gates and Schilens did for us? even Jason Hill had 3 recs and a TD

9. ArmandJ

You got me there. Needless to say, why is it that when our guys get injured, we don't have servicable guys on offense?

Keller gets injured, and we have to rely on Cumberland who should be 3rd string at the time. Holmes and Keller both get injured, and we have to rely on a rookie and Cumberland. I'm glad the change happened to throw guys into the fire, but still. It's Tannenbaum's problem that we didn't have depth to handle the situation. It's a miracle Cro didn't get injured because if he did, we would have been lucky to win 6 games and be competitive in most of them.

I love Rex, but if the new GM decides he doesn't want him, that won't be nearly as hard to take as Tannenbaum scapegoating him. I think the new GM will want to keep Rex here, given the circumstances.

Saying our fans deserve Rich Kottie is such a stupid statement, why?

10. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

If Tanny goes, Rex will go too. I imagine Woody is going to blow it up and try to bring in someone like Gruden, Cowher, or Payton.

11. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

This has nothing to do with 2 years of enough success to be the 2nd loser in the playoffs. It's about the last 2 years, the ridiculous money that Tanny gave Holmes (a total loser and cancer), and 6 (one of the worst QB's in recent memory). That coupled with horrible drafts, unnecessary trade ups that depleted depth is enough to dismiss our glorified bean counter. The fact they are the best gm/coach combo in team history says more about the piss poor history of the team more than how good they are. And don't even get me started on Bluto.

12. ArmandJ

I'm sort of surprised that nobody else in the media is hopping on to this.

13. nyjunc

we didn't have great depth on O coiming into this season and for that you can blame Tannenbaum(it doesn't man fire him though) but it's shard to overcome the loss of the offenses top 2 weapons in the pass game. I'm sure Brady can overcome but we don't have Brady.

Our fans do deserve Kotite b/c they want a new HC, GM, QB every few years. The first sign of adversity they jump ship. They deserve to see a losing team.

in 3 years we'd run those guys out of town. Did you know that Pitt missed the playoffs 4 of 6 seasons before they got Ben? do you think we'd accept 4 of 6 missing the playoffs? w/ only 2 playoff wins in that span.

Gruden inherited a SB tam in TB, aftre that year 1 SB he led TB to 2 postseasons in 6 years winning ZERO playoff games.

Payton missed the playoffs 2 straight years WITH Drew Brees.

we'd be bashing those guys in 2 years too, we could bring Lombardi back at his peak and our whiny fans would find a way to bash him.

14. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

You guys honestly feel tannenbaum deserves to retain his job after watching the garbage he was responsible for putting on the field this year?

#54 Bill Belichdouche, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  15. nyjunc

isn't it amazing that cancer is a SB MVP and nealry helped a 2nd franchise reach a SB? what a cancerous loser!

one of the worst QBs in recent memory that currently leads the NFL in playoff wins 2009-current.

16. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I would like to keep Rex for at least one more year. If they fire Tanny Rex is gone, no new GM is going to come in and have his balls to the wall for a HC he never hired, and players he never signed or drafted.

Tanny and Rex are attached at the hip, firing one means getting rid of the other.

Keep Tanny, bring in Norv Turner to run the offense and help with personnel decisions. Let Tanny count the beans and manage the cap. I think that's the only scenario where Rex stays on.

#56 dr.velociraptor, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  17. ArmandJ

I give it a 10% chance that Rex will not be retained by the new GM.

I just don't get how you're giving Tannenbaum a pass for not acquiring depth. When there's a HUGE discrepancy between number 1 and number 2, there is a problem.

We've been relying on practice squad players for most of the season, you don't think that's a problem? Not to mention the horrendous contract extension Tannenbaum gives to Sanchez that pretty much cripples our chances of addressing our weaknesses for next season. You think he should get a pass for that too?

18. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I am definitely NOT a "clean house" kind of guy. However, it is very hard to give Tannenbaum a pass. Trading away draft picks. Ignoring big needs like RT and WR. Bloated contracts. Tebow. Favre. He is a business man, not a football personnel man. I'd like him to be retained to negotiate contracts, but they need someone to come in to make personnel decisions. I also think Rex should be retained, but Sporano must go.

19. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

A SB MVP team that said team couldn't wait to get rid of. I doubt they thought he was worth keeping around do you?

I don't really care that he won 4 playoff games. It's in the past and he never got to the big game which you are ultimately judged by. I don't know for a fact but I'm going to say there are QB's with less playoff wins since '09 but they made or won the SB. I'd rather have that, how about you?

20. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

I think he should be retained in another capacity but after some of the recent contracts can he be trusted?