The Tank Is On - Tankathon 2023 (Jets pick 10th in 2024 Draft)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, Nov 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Would Adams be that bad though if say we can get him say for 4th round pick or something like that? He has 1 year left at 17.5 mil. Production is still at high level.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Can't imagine it'll be that cheap. Probably a 2025 2 or 3.

3. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

We already saw what happened last year on the Rodgers trade comp front when Woody clearly cut Joe D off at the knees and sent him out on "my entire off-season marketing revolves around this. just get it done" marching orders. We already got similar confirmation we could indeed expect this to be the case again with the Jets PR team falling all over themselves to leak out that report shortly after this year's trade deadline ended that "the Jets want Adams and will be looking to make an offer they can't refuse in the offseason".

Given our track record of complete incompetence in any and all such matters you really believe we are walking out of that only giving up a 4th? Not happening imo, and just not how this franchise rolls.

Overall I'd probably be more interested in seeing what the actual comparative FA market cost would be on Evans.

#203 Kronoking, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  4. dawinner127

Evans wants Kupp money which is like $26/year. Does 3/66 get it done for Evans? Idk. I think I'm good on that.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, since I am not inside Woody's or JD's circles it's not clear at all to me that Woody interfered with JD's ability to do his job, hence I am going to assume it's JD who actually fucked up some of these moves, since it is in his job description. But even with that said, aside from the dumb pick swap, JD has not given up a lot of assets in any trade. If anything he doesn't give up enough sometimes to get a deal done (like a late pick to get Ezra Cleveland to help Oline).

Assuming JD stays, I do not see him offering a 2nd, and nor should he. I think a 3d will get the deal done for sure, and maybe a 4th too, particularly 2024 4th, which will be relatively high. Adams will be 32 next season. GMs don't usually give up premium assets for older WRs with about another year left of good, albeit declining performance. If it is a 3d or a 4th would you be happy to get Adams on 17.5 mil deal? I do like Evans idea also if the price is right, since we don't have to spend any picks, but Adams for a 4th is good too at 17.5. I am on the fence for a 3d.

6. Kronoking

Yeah obviously that is terrible and no go. Does he realistically actually get anything close to that though? IDK. Lot a lot of mileage on him, and i view him a lot more like Hopkins this past off-season then Kupp then.

7. dawinner127

This is what spotrac thinks he will get. Evans is actually have another amazing year FWIW. Just not sure how I feel about giving a 31 year old WR a 4 year deal for $25.5/year lol

[​IMG]

abyzmul likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the issue is he has lost a step and will be 31 meaning a 4 year deal takes him to 35. but he's still a top tier WR. Only thing I read was he wanted a deal similar to kupp which was 3 years 80mil (75 guaranteed) but kupp is 3 years younger and was coming off a year where he almost had 2k yards. I think a more realistic deal for evans is 3 years 60-66 mil 1st 2 years guaranteed. 3rd year is team option.

9. Kronoking

We obviously disagree heavily on just how much of the blame JD deserves to be shouldering on his own these days, but I'll again just point out that your rationalization on Adams there sounds eerily similar to what was being said about the Rodgers at the start last year. Who was coming off a decline year, about to turn 40, appeared to realistically have zero other suitors out there while still on such a massive contract, and with it being the worst kept secret in the NFL that GB certainly wanted to move on from with Love.

And bidding against ourselves we STILL ended up giving up a pick swap a blind man could see was going to potentially cost us in the draft, a second, and a conditional first.

Adams might actually even have other suitors if LV decides to deal him. This just screams bad and incredibly frustrating outcome for us to me.

10. Kronoking

But to answer your question in hypothetical land where this team wasn't the worst run organization in football, I'd probably give up a 3rd (2025's if possible) for 1 year of Adams assuming that out in his contract I didn't really dive too deep looking in to doesn't actually leave any concerning residue behind.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, a blind man could see that this could cost us a top Tackle prospect, but then after the fact they showed how JD's director of scouting was ranking these players and he had McD and Mayer ahead of Broderick Jones. That actually helps explain why JD acted like a blind man with still 3 days to go before the draft, but I digress.

On Rodgers, yes, I know he will not be getting any better, and will be declining, but QB is far and away the most important position and I felt like Rodgers had a couple of solid years left in him still. His cost would be way higher than a declining WR, not even close. Another thing to consider, Rodgers had Lazard as his #1 WR. Seeing how Lazard did with our QBs gives me hope maybe he does have something left in the tank in 2024. We do need to find #2 somewhere though, because Lazard clearly is not it, whether it is Adams or someone else.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Completely different scenario for a first ballot HOF QB still at the top of his game, not even close. A first round pick, had AR stayed healthy, would have been an unbelievable bargain as we waltz our way to the playoffs first time in like for ever, and dispense with the suffering we are going thru right now . Adam will not sniff a third from this team or anyone else.

13. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I don't think the deal gets done for anything lower than a second round pick. And I don't think we can squeeze him in on the cap, we don't have much room. It would entail cutting a lot of guys and weakening other areas of the team.

But even assuming that we can get him for a third or fourth, I don't see them taking a 2025 3, so that means we probably have to give them next year's 3, which leaves us without a second or third round pick, or a higher one in 2025.

Just seems like a shell game at this point. I wouldn't go after Adams.

#213 The_Darksider, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    ouchy likes this.
  14. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

Titans winning and Giants only down 3 at half. If both those teams win the Jets move up to pick #7.

REVISion and Borat like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Mike Evans pushes off a lot, and many times it is blatant. He would get called for that with the Jets.

16. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

Tank back on! Giants Win

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. Kronoking

Back down to 7th on the tank meter. Thanks NY and Ten.

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  18. Kronoking

I don't know what's worse there. The fact you are even valuing him based on being a "first ballot HOF" and "unbelieveable bargain" in that actual surrounding circumstances comp equation, or the fact you would genuinely believe the QB we saw in 2022 was ever realistically going to waltz *this* Jets team into the playoffs.

Bad teams and poorly run franchises bid against themselves, while paying guys for what they done in the past and not for what they reasonable project to do in the future. We were bad. My advice would be to not cheer for that outcome next time.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it an unbelievable bargain, GB had no choice but to get rid of him. He was due 60 mil in Sept and 110 over 2 years, and Love was already declared as their starting QB. I think we overpaid. There was already a precedent: 2024 pick should have had the same protections as in Favre deal: "The Packers traded Favre for a conditional fourth-round pick. The pick would turn into a third-rounder if Favre played 50% of snaps, a second-rounder if he played 70% of snaps, and a first-rounder if he played 80% of snaps and the Jets make the Super Bowl." On top of that since you want to get him early, give them second round pick this year - this way GB would have to do this deal before or during the draft as opposed to August - a high second rounder in 2023 would secure this.

We should not be giving up high 2nd rounder in 2024 with Rodgers playing 4 snaps. Not when GB had no choice but to get rid of him or their CAP is fucked, plus they have to cut a 60 mil check. Not to mention a costly pick swap. JD could have held on for a few more days and GB would fold. Instead he folded with 3 days still left to go.

ouchy, Ralebird and Kronoking like this.
  20. dawinner127

They beat the Pats, Raiders, and Atlanta with Rodgers. This team is 8-5 and playing for 1st in the AFC East on December 17th if AR doesn't go down 4 plays in. They are absolutely a playoff team with AR and at worst a 10 win team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.