The State of the Jets... where they are...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Jan 29, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah we got lucky facing them early in the year. By the end of the year with the way they were playing and the way our Jets were playin they woulda smacked us

I do think its possible this team got lucky early in the year and really wasnt that good to begin with

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We were very unlucky to have played Baltimore the first game. Had we played them when Lamar was out and White was the starting QB we would have smacked them.

#62 bicketybam, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Aside from lucky, I keep coming back to the team chemistry thing.
    The team was a really close-knit bunch early in the season, lots of rooting for each other enthusiastically.
    The young guys were going crazy on the sidelines.
    After TDs, they'd race down the field together.
    As the season progressed, that stopped.
    I guess things started changing after the Pittsburgh win, when Elijah went fruitcake.
    By the end of the season, the enthusiasm was gone, & they looked dazed & confused.
    While I'm hot & cold on Hackett, from what I've read about him, he should be able to get the enthusiasm back on O. He seems to be a playful guy, & incorporates humor into his teaching/coaching repertoire, which should help the guys come together.

tomdeb, Since1969, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  4. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

i agree and that should work well with the young studs we have. He will also find ways to get guys the ball unlike MLF who wouldn’t even give a sweep to Moore when he was calling the team out. We eventually learned he was being nice w how bad the plays and QB was

5. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I wholeheartedly disagree with those saying the bengals don’t have a good roster. They have a great roster. One of the best qbs in the league in Burrow, one of the best receivers in the league in Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, 2 really good running backs in Mixon and Perine, a threat at TE in Hurst, and a good oline. On defense they have 2 premier pass rushers in Hendrickson and Hubbard, one of the best DT’s in the league in Reader, and another DT is excellent BJ Hill. One of the best MLB in the game Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt is very good, a top 3 slot corner in mike Hilton, Awuzie at corner, and one of the better safety tandems in the league in Bates and Bell. Bates is an all pro. They are absolutely loaded at basically every position.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They're going to lose 4 or 5 starters on defense from the '22 to '23 season. '23 to '24 season they are going to probably lose another 2 or 3 from this '22 roster. They're definitely loaded, but the D is absolutely going to take a hit this year. They absolutely need to work on that OL as well. Lots of holes to fill in the next two seasons. Last year and this past season was their best shot IMO. Similar to your Bills best shots were 2 years ago and last year.

I think there is absolutely no chance they let Higgins walk so I can see them tying up Burrow, Chase + Higgins which are going to be their core 3 on offense, but that D is definitely going to take a hit when you are paying your QB 40 million and 2 WRs 20 million each.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

To me last season was just an example of poor coaching and managing ..and thats why we fail . We dont have a great team maybe a good defense , but the Coaching is utterly pathetic

The real challenge in 2023 is keeping our young talent motivated challenged and happy so they dont leave the team

Thats the job of a mostly shitty CS especially RS who often does more harm than good stirring up the WR receiver pot, encouraging "we love MW" and being "friends" with players

I have no clue whether the new OC Hackett helps improve a semi pro laughing stock team called the NY Jets but I am willing to see what happens ...and if we sigh Aron Rodgers??? I will be uber excited tempered with the knowledge that the basic problem remains>>>>

A poor braintrust manages to find ways to lose ..even with improvements and super star talent

I see that no one on here wants to address the elephant in the room : Woody is just about ready to fire an incompetent coaching staff and a Failure GM who will be doing the same thing in 2023 as what they did in 2022 lmao

#67 NYJetsO12, Feb 2, 2023
    Br4d, red75bronco and westiedog1 like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

This statement is 100% spot on, although I'm not sure I agree with the rest of your post.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That's ok..what are you hoping for Westie?

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Appreciate your effort on the state of the jets. For whatever it is worth, here is my take:

1. Their coach is too much of a cheerleader, which leads to tweets like QW recently

2. The have IMO a lot of dead weight to cut over the next few weeks: for salary cap purposes cut Corey Davis, Ashton Davis, Carl Lawson, Braden Mann, Braxton Berrios, etc.

3. They have made TOO big a deal recently about needing a veteran QB, as a result lost all leverage with a trade or free agent signing. I am afraid they are going to trade way the farm for one year (two maybe?) of Aaron Rodgers.
    Jimmy G. and agent could now hold out for a fortune if the jets do not get Rodgers.

4. They have not utilized talent or moved on very well. Elijah Moore should be slot 100% of the time. Mims should either play a lot more or be cut. Braden Mann should have been cut a long time ago. They have failed to address the LB position the last three drafts.

5. They have already held on to Zach Wilson too long. The Cards only needed one year to jettison QB Rosen, who is now on his 6th team (practice squad).

6. The jets have a good defense, but don't forget DT in rounds1-3 of the upcoming draft. Put another good DT next to Q, and then watch him really dominate

Ok where did I go wrong?

SOJAZ, Br4d, JetsNation06 and 2 others like this.
  11. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Hi Sofia I'm barf. Charmed I'm sure.

twown likes this.
  12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Agree with everything except #5.
    I think the Zach/Rosen comparison isn't a fair one.
    Zach has more raw talent that fits the current NFL offenses.
    Obviously, he's been a big disappointment, but I'd like to see what another coach can do with him, since he's only 23.

I think #3 is related to #1... aside from the cheerleader garbage, he just wants to be liked, & all the Vet QB talk is directed at fans. One thing he said recently, which shows where his head is at (always), when he announced MLF's departure, he said several times, "Mike will be ok." Like anyone but him cared.
    I'd have preferred him being more concerned about his team, than his friend.

I wouldn't be averse to them trying to re-negotiate Lawson, if they can make the numbers more manageable. While he was able to play a full-season, he was probably still hindered by his achilles, so he may be worth another year.
    Lastly, #6 to me is big, literally. They need one of those hippo-type DTs, to help the undersized LBs Saleh likes to have, deal with the run.

tomdeb and SOJAZ like this.
  13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

You're talking with Jets, we believe a pile of shit, is a ounce of gold

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm not as harsh on the GM and CS as you appear to be, but you make good points. Of course, ultimately they are responsible for what transpires on the field. Nevertheless, I think JD has done a pretty good job of drafting talent. He's had some bad luck with injuries to Becton, AVT, Mims and Hall but the talent of these players is definitely there. His other draft picks are solid, and I thought the Gardner pick at 4 was brilliant given we have to play against Diggs and Hill 4 times a year. As for Saleh, I honestly don't know what to make of him (which itself isn't good.) People weren't expecting the Jets to be 6-3 so he has to get some credit for that. However, the implosion at QB and ultimate losing has be laid at his feet because he was the one who jettisoned Darnold for ZW and that has clearly not worked. So JD and Saleh have work to do to correct the QB situation, or as you say, the talent we have will be looking for the exit sign over the next few years. I do believe the Jets are a competent QB away from playoff contention and since we can't keep cycling through coaches, I'm willing to give them another year before I start hiring airplanes to fly over Met Life.

Afterthought: I feel credit also has to go to Saleh for bringing a last place defense up to #4. That's a pretty good feat.

#74 westiedog1, Feb 2, 2023
    Lon Chaney, JetsNation06 and SOJAZ like this.
  15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

if i may.

7-3 was a mirage but the majority here drank some wicked green koolaid
    we won winnable games by FINE margins 9save the Phins)

at that time people were saying " Championship caliber defense" " we can make a SB run"

w/ 7 fucking games to go.

at 7 -3 i mentioned.. there is a significant probability that we can loose each game we play.

we absolutley maxed ourselves to get 7-3 , then lost our star rookie RB and star OLman

the spittle and ducktape that held the OL together gave way as herbig got injured and more injuries piled up.

internal friction? nah.

we simply ARENT THAT GOOD. some nice pieces defo.

James Hasty and Nyjets4eva like this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

to clarify... significant probability TO ME means the OPPONENT has A LEAST a 40% chance of winning

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

In two complete seasons Wilson hasn't "engineered" a single thing for the New York Jets.

tomdeb and BrowningNagle like this.
  18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I think his press conference after he got benched was well-engineered.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He was integral in allowing Joe Flacco to have a couple more seasons in the show. He should get Christmas cards from the Flacco family for the rest of his life

20. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Now they have to learn a whole new offense to boot, as well as needing OL, QB, WR ...these things tend to go awry with the Jets.