The State of the Jets... where they are...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Jan 29, 2023.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

While I agree that what you've listed above are issues, winning seems to have the effect of curing a lot of those, and winning starts with the QB.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

And that's where we disagree.
    While QB is the most important position, I think winning starts with team focus, & players pulling in the same direction, especially with a young, talented team learning what it takes to win in the NFL.
    Something happened after the 2nd Pats game... despite bad QB play & an OL carousel, they had been winning, then the collapse.
    As an outsider, the only thing I see that changed was internal friction.
    That Jacksonville game, the whole team was in a funk.
    They looked distracted, & unfocused, in a must-win game.
    That's unacceptable, & hasn't been addressed.

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think they werent that good to begin with. They got by 1st half of the season with playing backup QBs and running Breece Hall. He got hurt and they had to play some real teams, Wilson crashed and burned and they finished about where their talent level was

NYJetsO12, Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The Jets played two non-starter QB's during their 6-3 start.

Brock Purdy/Teddy B
    Brett Rypien

Miami lost 5 games with Tua as QB and we soundly beat the shit out of them. I dont think Tua would have made a difference.

Russell Wilson lost 11 games as the starting QB and won 4. Rypien actual won 50% of the games he started.

The backup QB narrative is false. Plain and simple.

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

burf ,

Is correct in his concerns because I am of the same mind.

CC,

is correct in his assessment also and others...

AS for me, this team needs discipline, period. This HC needs to be taken into the woodshed and given a sever CTJM! likewise, JD needs to fix the OL one and for all... I do not care if they use every selection in the draft but get a C, G, T.... fix it or GTFO.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Some will use any narrative that fits their dislike for Zach et all. If it was the other way around the comment would have been “they beat us with a back up QB.”. Curiously enough same folks BTW now sing the praises of SF for finding a real jewel with Purdy who beat many a good team.
    Russel Wilson on the other hand was absolutely butt awful last year and average at best the year before with Seattle. So the rational did not hold water there either.
    On a separate note It was easy to make Hackett the total scape goat as the HC, easy mark, in part to protect the God awful contract they gave Wilson. That was a marriage made in hell from the get go. But anyone that watched Broncos games will tell you Russel looked lost, missing WR left and right. Point of fact his own teammates had enough of his ways on both teams. Kind of sounds familiar.

JetFanInNE and bicketybam like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t get that first comment about taking narratives to dislike Zach

there is ONE narrative here. He sucked. He sucked in year one as many rookies do. He did not get any better in year two. There is no cherry picking of stats, no crazy narratives, nothing. He was literally among the worst three rated QBs… maybe THE worst of all starters, I’d have to look that up.

that’s not some vendetta or some narrative from “Zach haters”…it’s an objective look at the results.

so I don’t get the narrative. The only ones creating narratives are the ones who want to excuse or sugarcoat his play…first it was drops then it was OL now it’s MLF… it’s a long list.

Personally I have nothing against Zach on a personal level…I just want a QB who can play the position well, and in two years he clearly hasn’t been able to do that.

8. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Discipline & also leadership.
    On D, Reed showed some leadership, together with being a nice compliment to Sauce.
    On O, I didn't see much, although listening to Breece speak, he seems like if he stays healthy, he may become a leader. And hopefully, whoever they bring in at QB, will be a leader.
    Lots of talkers on the team, but, all-in-all not much leadership starting with the HC.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Winning starts with scoring more points than the other team

P.s. who is the cute girl in your icon?
    If your gf, congratulations
    if your sister, mom, or cousin tell them i said
    "Waz uuuupp."

10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Saleh nneds to give players public spankings? The bs social media and # of divas is rampant league wide.

State of jets is tepid new jersey toxic puddle.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what you don’t get. They used the narrative that Zach only beat back up QBs. Which was utter nonsense. As for him sucking down the road. No arguments. But the wins were wins and had fuck all to do with facing back ups which in fact played better than their starters.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

She's an actress (Sofia Mattsson) that reminds me of an old gf.
    When I saw that pic, I don't remember where, I figgered she'd make this crazy place a little more 'palatable'
    ... and she certainly is...

13. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I love hot jets fans, and hot famous jets fans are even better.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Outside of the Eagles, every team has some issue. Chiefs don't have a game breaking WR, Bills OL is a mess, Bengals OL didn't hold up on Sunday, 49ers ran out of healthy QB's, Cowboys have a QB with turnover problems, Giants have no one on offense who scares opponents outside of Barkley, etc........

But, these teams did have better QB play than we did during the season and that's why they got to at least the Divisional round. With competence at the position, we can get to the final 8 in 2023.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Boyer has been very good until this past season. Not someone we should fire.

16. HomeoftheJets

Zach won 5 games. 3 of them had a backup or third-string QB playing for a significant portion of the game (Steelers with Trubisky, Dolphins with Bridgewater and Thompson, Broncos with Rypien). So while Zach didn't "only" beat backup QBs, the narrative isn't utter nonsense.

BrowningNagle and Ralebird like this.
  17. twown

twown Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hi. I'm Sofia. My turn-ons are the Jets, and guys that like a lot of posts on message boards. If that sounds like you, Waz uuuupp?

Losmeister, SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  18. bicketybam

Trubisky was the starter.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

Pickett started for most of the season, so I called Trubisky the backup. But if you prefer, we can say Pickett was the backup. Still a game with a backup QB.

PJ4Ever and barfolomew like this.
  20. bicketybam

Doesn't matter. Pittsburgh wasn't very good and for the majority of the game the better QB played. But if you want to say the only reason we won is because their backup was in, then have a blast. It's not true though. The reason we won is because Wilson engineered a 10 play, 65 yard TD drive that started with 3:34 left in the game.

barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.