The state of the Franchise, and my fandom...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rohirrim665, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It's one goddamn game!!!

With all the threads started over the last few days you'd think the team was 0-8 and getting blown out every week.

Frenbar and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Are Jets fans entitled to better? No. It begs the question are Pats fan deserving of worse? Yes. It's fucking football. You root for the Jets just because. You bitch about it just because. Rinse, repeat. Did I mention the new helmets suck...

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Apparently the 1 game is a symbol for 50 plus years of abject failure and personal depression. I'm about to go to nfl.com to get my official NY Jets straitjacket.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Would they look better at 1-0?

I say no...

Damn you, J.B. Smoove! :mad:

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .a spring oasis
    . . .Japanese leaves ride the wind
    . . triggered curs blow mud ...

Acad23 likes this.
  6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

11 likes and climbing. Withi ji destê we tê?

7. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Awesome, I have read the books several times (obviously I'm a huge fan) but forgot about this quote. Nice

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. rohirrim665

Thank you and yes, I do believe we are actually in the best place we have been in a while. We are still climbing out of the ruins of Macaggnan and I guess I just have to be patient and accept that. I believe in Joe Douglas and have to hope that even if Gase didn't work out, Douglas will remain and find the right guy.

The concept of rooting for a team is something that blows my mind sometimes. I practice non-attachment as much as I can and when I see other sports fans sometimes their fanaticism seems so silly, and then I find myself riding my own waves. It's all good, rooting for this team has taught me never to get too high or too low. Athletes talk about it all the time, and I think that is how they are able to take the field after brutal losses the next week or the next day. It's a good metaphor that extends beyond the game of football, funny enough the Jets are a good teacher.

9. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Readers Digest version:

Think of Lucy with the football and Charlie Brown. The Jets are the football and we are CB.

NYJetsO12, Wahoo and rohirrim665 like this.
  10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We are counting Likes now. I see.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Don’t know if you’re a Star Trek fan, but there was an episode where the ship was caught in a time loop, and the exact same things happened over and over. After the third or fourth cycle, the crew realizes something is up, and begins to accurately predict what will happen next.

This is the Jet organization. Yea, it’s one game, but Jet fans have seen this game countless times, and so we can pretty well predict what happens next. Could it change? Maybe. But, doubtful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

A loss is a loss whether it's by one or 50

~~~~ Adam Gase

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

OP I feel your pain.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I completely empathize with you rohirrhim665. Many here are puzzled, and even angry, that some of us are so upset at one loss, but this loss, at this point in time IS a big deal. As a decades-long supporter of this team I've lived through many disappointments and shocks, and while someone might think this would inure you from the pain, it actually makes it worse. This latest drought - essentially 8 years, with the one winning season more like 'salt in the wound' given how it ended - I thought was coming to end finally. New HC, removal of the stench of Macc & Bowles, expected improvement of Darnold, signing of Bell and the other upgrades, a new, highly respected, accomplished guy as GM - all these reasons had me believing that THIS TIME it would be different. But then I watched the game. An offense that couldn't execute; an OL that was swiss cheese, play calling that did't react to the flow of the game, another loss plucked from the jaws of victory. And then Gase's press conference condemning the players for not executing his 'immortally flawless' game plan, while taking no blame himself.

I try to tell myself that despite all that, this time it will be different, but as dumb and gullible as I am for remaining a fan for 55+ years, I just can't believe it.

I don't have an answer for you rohirrhim665 because I don't have one for myself. I'm not even going to make any 'threats' about quitting as a Jets fan, but I am going to try hard to disengage and not invest so much energy and time in them, and we'll see how that goes. I hope you and the rest of us who are feeling frustrated can find some detachment until this team gives us reason to invest more.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So this thread features a pathetic cry for help, universal acknowledgment of futility for decades, the Lord of the Rings and Star Trek.

Do any of you guys get laid?

Biggs, Ralebird and rohirrim665 like this.
  16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Can’t blame you dude

Thus Sunday made me ill until Tuesday.

The real reason is I know we will start 1-7 and the Pats will win the superbowl

To me the season is a pure and utter waste

Crown them now and let’s draft new players

17. rohirrim665

This year certainly feels like a throwaway because they fucked up the timing of hiring the new GM. This roster will look so different next year.

If Douglas wasn't available in January and they wanted to wait until he was, and that was the reason for the bad timing, then I guess I can't blame them. They wanted to get their guy, and wait til he was available. But I am not sure that was the case. Were there any reports that Douglas wasn't available until June?

Regardless I hope they can make something of this season and play competitive football. It is an investment of time and money going to these games, so that is also a factor. I can take a tough loss in stride, thats not a big deal. But when it is decades of futility it feels like a bad investment. The Idzik days going into the Mac/Bowles regime has numbed some of my interest in the sport. I'd like to get excited about Jets football again, it is a great feeling when they are actually good.

18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I don't know if Gase is the guy but I'm very confident in the job Douglas is going to do. I've already seen a lot of good things out of him in terms of creativity and understand what needs to be done to get us out of the meek Maccagnan malaise.

The state of the franchise is better than it was under Idzik and better than it was under Maccagnan. I know it doesn't seem this way to a lot of people but talent wise they should be right on the cusp of turning a corner. If Sam can take that next step, if we can take proper measures to fortify the o-line and CB situations this offseason, I think we could be looking at a 10 win team in 2020 as well as a long window of opportunity to compete. Having that top 10 QB (which Sam should be by next year) and having that shrewd GM should lift us out of the doldrums

rohirrim665 likes this.
  19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Ron Wolf first

From the Jets

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

My girlfriend's as big as nerd as I am so I'm good.