The schedule the rest of the way

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, Oct 22, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well isn't that a big aspect? Wouldn't it be helpful to get some idea on how a QB can process that kind of data and react to it? Of course it doesn't guarantee that he'll succeed in real games, but it can be used as an indicator of how likely he is to adjust to NFL speed and ultimately be successful.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Zach needs to throw to where those arrows are going to be, not where they are.... ;)

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I can see something like this as an eventual combine tool where prospective QB's get some grade.

Just batting around some ideas, one could take actual plays from previous games in an all-22 type setup and observe responses in the VR environment. One could also adjust speed of action etc.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I just posted this in the latest Zach Wilson...appreciation thread:

I came across this article in the Washington Post. You probably need a subscription, but they run ridiculous sales all the time, or maybe they'll let you read a few for free. I'll include the link to the article, but cut and paste some of the more interesting bits:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/28/nfl-quarterback-sacks/
    **************************************************************************************************************************
    "The most telling measure of a quarterback’s performance is sack rate, and it might be the most damning...

As analytics go, it’s as good a predictor as any of a player’s potential. And it’s not a particularly forgiving one, because it tends to put the lie to that idea: “If only he had more help on the offensive line.” A QB with great pre- and post-snap judgments can bail out the most collapsing unit. Proof? Eli Manning won a Super Bowl after the 2011 season behind a unit that Pro Football Focus ranked 31st in the league...sack rate ultimately reflects the personal actions of the quarterback: his reads, recognition, clarity, decisiveness.

The most interesting thing about the sack rate stat — and the reason it’s such a useful, if undervalued, scouting measure — is that the number travels. It follows a quarterback like a bad rear fender making a funny noise behind a car. Guys who get sacked a lot do it no matter who they play for, making offensive lines look instantly guilty.

Sack rate is a consistent tell, “not only when QBs change teams, but when teams change QBs,” says Jason Lisk, a data analyst and writer for the website Team Rankings. Example: In the space of a single offseason between 2017 and 2018, the Indianapolis Colts’ sack rate dropped from more than 10 percent to just 2.7 percent, best in the NFL. The main reason? Andrew Luck — who missed the 2017 season with a shoulder injury — returned to replace a young Jacoby Brissett...It’s no accident that the quarterback with the lowest sack rate in the modern era is Peyton Manning (3.1 percent, tied with Dan Marino), or that Patrick Mahomes (3.8), Drew Brees (3.8) and Tom Brady (4.5)

Mathematically, sacks are as bad, or in some cases worse, than turnovers. This is obviously counterintuitive to a young quarterback like Howell, with that tantalizingly pneumatic arm. He appears to think that holding the ball for something to develop, then eating it and taking the hit, for a sack rate of 13.5 percent, is better than a mistake or throwing it away...Since 2018, according to the website TruMedia, an NFL sack has cost a team about 1.7 points. One way to think of Howell’s six sacks last week against the Giants is that that he might as well have given up 10 points.

One of the best-ever explainers of how costly sacks are was David Cutcliffe. Now retired, Cutcliffe was the fellow who coached such unhesitating, flashing recognition into both the Mannings...He wanted such decisiveness from his quarterbacks that he got impatient if a guy even hesitated over a menu. He swears he used the “menu test” as a recruiting filter. If a kid paused and said, “What looks good to you?” Cutcliffe crossed him off the list...“If you’re not careful, what you end up doing is making a decision by indecision,” Cutcliffe said. “And that’s the worst one you make. Decision by indecision — you catch yourself flat footed while you’re waiting for an answer. Any time you hold the ball, you have already made a mistake, because the decision is going to be made for you. You’re going to be sacked or force a ball or quite likely turn it over.”"
    **************************************************************************************************************

As important as having a good OL is, having a QB who can make good, quick decisions is even more important. I don't think it's a coincidence that even though the Jets OL has been banged up and suffered key losses - again! - the last three games they've improved, while at the same time Zach has looked more decisive and comfortable.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I think we can win enough games to go to the playoffs. My major concern is our division games, the bills and dolphins will be in the hunt for a wildcard spot. Can we beat them head to head? Those will be huge games.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Buffalo over the last 4 weeks has not impressed me whatsoever. Splitting Miami, taking Buffalo and the Pats game would put us in a prime position.

barfolomew and abyzmul like this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

This

Jets79 likes this.
  8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Care do a follow up on that statement?

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Nope, I stand by it.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you can do the same without the VR part is all i'm saying. I'm not sure what the VR headset adds

11. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Conversely - there's not one team in the NFL that likely see's the Jets as much of a threat. Not a threat to win their division, a wild card spot and most weeks they are barely a threat to win a game.

#131 Mehl-56, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    cval likes this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

That earlier Cheats loss is going to come back to bite us in the worst way, probably even if we split. I still obsess over that shitty loss. I try to only look forward, but it's not how I'm built by nature. For example, when I was a kid and the Jets went 3-11 three years in a row (another Jets claim to fame), I would sit there and go, "OK, if only we had beat this guy, that guy, this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy, that guy, and this guy, the Jets would be 11 & 3." In fact, I still do that every year, ha. So far this year I'm at, "If the Jets beat the Cheats and the refs didn't rob us against the Chiefs, the Jets would be 6-1."

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Momentum is building....

dawinner127 likes this.