The schedule the rest of the way

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, Oct 22, 2023.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Giants is the game I had circled before the season started.

I remember Fitzpatrick ending Coughlins overrated career in NY. Was one of more satisfying wins in last decade.

Daboll reminds me of Coughlin with all the demonstrative showing up of players on sidelines for show. It’s bad leadership.
    Crush them and maybe put the first big nail in Dabolls coffin as well.

BrowningNagle and abyzmul like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The way we won against Den and Phi is not sustainable.
    I don’t think we even came away with pts on 2 of the Philly turnovers.

Offensively the 3rd down and red zone conversion % has been bottom of the league.

The QB play, the predictable play calling, and the Oline has all got to get way better if we going to have a shot at the playoffs.
    And we don’t seem interested in making any personnel moves.

Credit to Saleh for keeping this team fighting.

BrowningNagle and abyzmul like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the offense had only 2 real drives (for FGs) against Philly and they were both early in the game. That's really only 6 points all game the offense brought to the table

From the late 2nd quarter on the offense didn't do shit. They got a field goal on a drive where the defense recovered a fumble at mid-field. A field goal from where the punt return team took it to the Philly 36, and a touchdown after an interception set them up at the 8 yard line.

Jets81 and BacktoQueens like this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t know how you can say no team scares you when it comes to the Jets. Every team scares me. Every game makes me worried that we will not only lose, but we’ll end up setting some other obscure statistical record of futility while doing it. That said, I also feel like we can beat every team in the league on any given Sunday.

NCJetsfan, stinkyB, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have been a Jets fan since the Shea days. I never take anything for granted with this team.

6. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

The Jets really just need to fix their red zone offense. It's the biggest thing holding them back. They need to finish drives with TDs instead of FGs. Do that and these games aren't close.

Jets81, NCJetsfan and IDFjet like this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Good point

8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

If I hadn't gotten excited dozens of times over the last 40 years in situations like this where the team surprised us, played well, had their own destiny in their hands, had all the momentum, got everyone excited and insisting they were on their way, media picking them to do big things, rankings showing them as one of the top teams, everyone expecting them to win based on what the rest of the schedule looked like, and then went into their next game against a seemingly inferior opponent unprepared, listless, completely flat, and lost - I would share your optimism. If they hadn't completely shit the bed in just about every opportunity following a bye week, many of them in a similar type of situation, I would fly the flag of optimism.

You should be correct. But this is the Jets, and I am superstitious about only one thing: the Jets. So I will not share the enthusiasm or positivity. I will just hold on for dear life and hope for the best.

Brook!, Jets79, NCJetsfan and 5 others like this.
  9. The_Darksider

I wish I could agree with you about a majority of the fan base. But I find the opposite. I find that a pretty good portion of the fan base is unrealistically optimistic, even going so far as to scoff at people who will not agree that the Jets are as good as these people think they are. For instance, there was a post on a social media site that said something to the effect of "I'm looking at all the teams in the league, and I think the Jets could be the best team in the NFL". At least 30% or more of the people flat out agreed with the guy and basically ganged up on anyone who disagreed. There are tons of guys who also ridicule any type of post that doesn't agree that the Jets are a top three defense in the league. It is completely debatable whether they are top three, it is certainly not something to laugh at if you don't agree. And don't get me started on the cherry picking of stats to prove their points, while ignoring all of the other so that's that couldn't disprove it.

Far more often than anyone who's been around the team long enough would be comfortable with, you'll find people insisting that it is a lock that we will destroy the Giants. I see scores predicted of 28-3, 38-0, etc etc etc. People are dumb enough to play the "we beat this team, we should be able to destroy this other team" game.

I'm not saying everyone should be as superstitious as I am and always expect the worst, but there is a lot of land in between constant negativity and blind positivity. There doesn't seem to be a lot of populated areas in between those two signposts.

10. The_Darksider

Wear a cup. That's usually when the steel tipped boot gets you right in the jewels.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He had a season ending injury. Not the same thing.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is exactly the right position to take IMO. I too have seen all of these things transpire to the point where I actually expect them to. I don't believe in curses or superstitions, but there is something that dogs this franchise that consistently undermines any progress they seem to make. Frankly I think it's their "Defense wins championships" and disregarding the importance of investing in the offense that has caused a lot of it. How many times for the want of a good QB has this team failed? And of course that consistent failure leads back to the primary root of bad ownership/management. Well, we still have bad ownership, but I still do think Douglas is the best GM we've had since at least Parcells, so I hold out some hope that this time will be different, but I sure ain't counting on it.

Jets79, NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

FYI scoring, offense, and red zone efficiency is way down in the NFL as a whole. lowest it's been since 2011. it's not just the jets
    some people had theorys, one I seen was because the d-line talent over the past decade to come out has been far superior to the o-line talent. as a whole the d-lines in the NFL are just better then the o-lines. so less time for QBs to survey the field and everyone is playing "fast ball" just trying to get it out fast.

the other theory I seen is just that DCs have adjusted to what was working before for teams and offenses haven't adjusted to counter that yet

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It has sure felt that way. Thank you for confirming

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Some more context:

Point differential is a more accurate determinant for how good a team is than record. The Jets are currently 18th in the league in point differential.

The top 5 teams in point differential:

49ers
    Bills
    Ravens
    Chiefs
    Cowboys

And the bottom 5 (from 5th worst -> worst):

Cardinals
    Broncos
    Panthers
    Patriots
    Giants

Jets81, Brook!, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  16. The_Darksider

In theory, I agree with you completely. Speaking logically, you're absolutely correct. But logic doesn't always prevail with this franchise.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. REVISion

This is 1000% true and it happens every year with Jets fans. The majority think we are a better team than we are. Jets fans are blindly loyal and supportive, but often to a logical fault.

18. The_Darksider

I'm not a statistician, but I can't imagine that point differential could be a better determinate, or even one at all. The Cowboys beat the Jets and Giants by a combined 60 points, so right there their point differential is superior to other teams. If they go 4-13, but lose most of their games by two points, they would still be in a positive point differential.

Obviously that's an extreme example, but I think the point has been made.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. REVISion

All that would mean is that the Cowboys are a better team than going 4-13 would indicate. If you lose very close games and blow teams out when you win, isn't it logical to assume you're better than your record indicates?

The_Darksider likes this.
  20. The_Darksider

There is no in between lol They are either ready to fire everybody and talking about how the team is going winless and shooting for the #1 overall, or they're talking about how we're better than everybody else, we're making the playoffs, and people are fake fans if they don't agree.

REVISion likes this.