The Rodgers's Gambit... High stakes gamble

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 28, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

for sure. they had moved on from him which hurt his trade value it's the whole "leverage debate" earlier this year. at the end of the day 2 2nds and some late round stuff to get a top 5 QB for 2 years who took a massive paycut when your roster is "A Qb away" is a good trade. it can be spun in anyway but the reality is, if rodgers doesn't get hurt and we are scoring 20-24 a game and are sitting 8-4 right now, none of this is even a discussion. it's only a discussion because he got hurt and everyone wanted to play the "what if game" so they can have a scapegoat to unleash their anger

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If I get the gig let me know what position you'd like (no promises but there could be several vacancies opening up!)

NY Jets68 likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Wrong again and I already repeated my first response to you when you brought Carr into the discussion. It was a litany of all the things the Rodgers deal contained to the detriment of the Jets, both tangible and intangible. I included it here last week and, of course, you ignored it because it put the lie to everything you claimed.

Now I need to add Stafford and RWilson to your red herring tally - you can't really think they have a part in this discussion, can you?

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

one of us can't for sure bud. take that as you will

Ralebird likes this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Last year Aaron Rodgers and Jets management talked themselves into the idea that Aaron Rodgers was going to come in snf be the missing piece that would put this team over the top.

With Rodgers getting injured so early in the season both Rodgers and Jets management could cling to the fantasy that this team with all of its problems somehow keeps the dream alive.

While our GM is finally getting rid of some of the dead wood it would seem that the front office wants to run things back for another year to see what this marriage to Rodgers looks like when he actually plays the games.

Although I am sure our ancient pro bowl quarterback likes having a front office that he can push around he presumably left the Packers because he wanted to win another chip.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that Rodgers has been paying attention to what we have seen for ourselves and thinks he would be happier playing for another team.

Who really is a QB away from winning and what might we get for Rodgers if he is smart enough to want out?

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I know he's old for an NFL player, but damn, if he's "Ancient", a lot of us around here are fossils or worse.

James Hasty and GasedAndConfused like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

True but most of us don't have 270 lb pass rushers trying to tear our heads off for 17 games.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  8. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

When you set out to create an expansion team, with the leagues approval. You get to select players made available via the expansion draft, who are unprotected, by their team. This is done to ensure the newly created team is "somewhat competitive". What would you say of a GM that chooses to do this, without the benefit of an expansion draft? And that's the current NY Jets.

9. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

He did a somewhat decent job at it until this year when they blew it all up. He, Woody, the team, the press, and most of the fans (the reason I don't simply just say "everyone" is because I never believed it, and I more plenty of others who didn't either) all believed the hype that the Jets were a QB away from being a serious contender. Rodgers gave the illusion, with his track record, of being a Super Bowl contender.

It was never true.
    MThe Jets were a QB away from competing for a playoff spot, and with Rodgers maybe they were nearly assured of one, but this was never going to be a true contender this year.

When you blow up your plan and willfully create a win-or-bust situation, which they most assuredly did, things go south in a hurry of the plan doesn't work.

And here we are.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You would think that if the Jets thought they were a QB away from winning the Super Bowl AND Rodgers was telling them he'd try to come back by the playoffs that the Jets front office would do anything possible to get a competent QB in the building to keep the team alive for Rodgers's return. But no, that would be too sane for this front office.

NY Jets68, JohnnyJet and Ralebird like this.