The Rodgers's Gambit... High stakes gamble

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Did Carr even want to come here?

I thought I read that he didn't.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

And a broken thumb on his throwing hand but everyone seems to ignore that when talking about his down year :rolleyes:

RevisIsland18 and stinkyB like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no because that wasn't the conversation, rale moved goalposts as usual. the original was "carr is a flat 30 and cost less"

4. GasedAndConfused

total cash is irrelevant. whats relevant is what they cost on the cap because that has limits

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Carr cost less because he didn't require multiple draft picks to acquire. He was a free agent

JohnnyJet likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

that wasn't the original conversation. rodgers cost less on our cap for 2023 and 2024, and took a huge paycut. carr took the most he could get. can't even use cap either because had we signed carr we could have structured it the same we did rodgers. they both signed for 37.5m AAV that was the original argument then of course people move goalposts when they said something wrong. The proper adult thing is going "ok they do cost the same but we had to spend a draft pick to acquire rodgers while carr was a FA. not to just move the goalposts. but again look who you are siding with lol. makes sense the worst 2 posters on the board would have this kind of nonsense.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I remember reports where Jets were his favorite and then some that he used us leverage but you never know really. He did come to visit, but realistically there wasn't anything solid that he didn't want to be a Jet. That does not mean he would have picked us, we just don't know. What we do know is that we were initially interested, but didn't go after him once Rodgers became a possibility.

I feel at this time the jury is still out, though these who wanted Carr are probably not happy now. Rodgers got hurt and is not contributing, while Carr is having a solid year. Carr also costs a little less annually (100 mil over 3 years guaranteed, 33.3 per) than Rodgers (75 mil over 2 years guaranteed, 37.5 per) and is older. Plus we gave up 2 second round picks and a 1st round pick swap (though according to what we have seen McD would have likely been the pick anyway). Still right now we would have two high 2nd round picks, smaller annual contract and a solid QB is better than really not having these things with AR hurt.

With that said, looking at this team, I just don't think Carr would do as well this year without the line. His injury risk would be increased also. He would do better than the QBs we have, but I am just not sure if he could be average starting QB that he is in NO with our terrible line. Still, right now these who wanted Carr are understandably disappointed. I hope it will change next year though, when AR is back.

Logically, shitting on AR just doesn't make any sense. Hack was hired before they were even allowed to talk to him, and actually helped recruit AR, not the other way. AR was 90% retired, but agreed to join the Jets and took the largest pay-cut from guaranteed money in NA sports history. Then got hurt behind the porous line and is doing everything he can to come back in record time. The hate is simply misplaced, the guy embraced the Jets and still gives us the best chance to win in 2024.

#67 Borat, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    RevisIsland18 and dawinner127 like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

the one thing is with injuries you just never know. had we went with carr who's to say he wouldn't have gotten hurt here. thats why the "what if" game rarely if ever works.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Carr always made a lot more sense in the south than he did in Jersey. Warm weather climate his entire life, big Christian values and family guy.

He’s definitely had a down year but there’s something rotten in that locker room in New Orleans. Shitty coach, a lot of overpaid aging guys on the defense, Kamara getting into brawls in Vegas, Michael Thomas sitting out two years with phantom injuries.

They need to fire Dennis Allen badly.

BrowningNagle and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I do think he could get hurt or even if not, he would have had a season that's much worse than he is having now. And it's not like he is having a great year either, just solid. To contend for SB you need a better QB than Carr unless everything else is perfect. That's why I understand why JD went after Rodgers, and agree with this decision. The problem is that Zach wasn't the only culprit of the failures of last year. With the current team I definitely feel Carr would not succeed, and I am not even sure Rodgers would even if he stayed healthy. More needs to be done during the off-season to make it a real run next year, particularly on OLine. Otherwise, neither Zach, nor Carr, nor Rodgers, nor anyone else will succeed here.

11. BrowningNagle

Carr’s brother played in NY though and enjoyed his time

this team with a bunch of young guys coulda used a “family values” type leader. That’s the type of guy Mike White was and they responded well to his leadership

I imagine there were people in the Jets brass that wanted Carr but Woody is a fanboy who without a doubt pushed for Rodgers

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only competition Woody knows is comparing bank accounts and Rodgers is a cash machine to him.

jets_fan likes this.
  13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Literally the only reason he's here. He had accomplished everything the franchise wanted out of him before he ran out of the tunnel on September 11.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The original conversation was always about all the things that the Rodgers deal has done to the Jets. That includes cash, cap, coaching, draft implications and meddling with the roster. It also includes the uncertainty of guessing what goes on in the mind of Aaron Rodgers and what he will decide today, tomorrow and into the future and the uncertainty of the Jets making sorely needed changes within the organization to plan for that future both on and off the field.

Here is the first paragraph of my initial post in this thread - anyone who understands the English language can see it refers to much more than salary or cap considerations, there is no reason to characterize it as anything else:

"Carr has been considerably better than Rodgers this year, and costs 23% less money. He also did not cost a single seventh round pick to get there. He can be expected to play another 5 - 10 years rather than simply be an overpriced rental for a year or two. There is no indication whatsoever that Carr has meddled in the hiring, firing or retention of any player, coach or cafeteria worker."​

You don't need to address any of those things that are uncomfortable for you but do not try to limit what the conversation has always been about. Whatever you choose to address, why not do it without the juvenile personal crap again?

#74 Ralebird, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  15. GasedAndConfused

anyone who can read English as you say can clearly see you are just proving my point. (but i bolded it for you to make it easier) all I said was he cost the same and then you tried to wiggle your way out of seeing how wrong you were and started moving the goalpost​

16. BrowningNagle

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Carr is making $30 million this year. Rodgers is making $36.889 million this year. Those are the facts - it doesn't matter how many times you say they are making the same.

You make all these bogus claims and when the proof is put right in your face you simply ignore it and move on to some other bogus claim. I suppose your lies I proved wrong in post #74 were just inconsequential to you. Man up for once, dude!

18. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

Carr would have been a disaster too. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Carr is 5-6 against the easiest schedule in the NFL with a better team.

The Rodgers trade ended up being a disaster, but Carr isn’t exactly dealing for the Saints.

ouchy likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Suites are pretty sweet dude. I sat in the Comcast suite for work one time and they had unlimited liquor (which is strange for a sporting suite as I’ve sat in them at Yankee Stadium and Prudential as well). Got blasted on Jack with a bunch of rich snobs.

I can only imagine how fucked up you get on the blood of foreign children in Woody’s suite.

Acad23 and abyzmul like this.