The Rodgers's Gambit... High stakes gamble

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 28, 2023.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So AR basically takes over the decision making...can that work ? Without him as QB and with his friends in the lineup and this OC and CS we are losing ...If he is healthy and we are losing will he blame the GM and Coaches ??? lol

Of course we all have to sit tight till 2024 . Meanwhile, the GM will conduct a lousy draft and FA ..Who says we are even getting D Adams ? Where are OL players and younger receivers we need? Fuck this reasoning . Its Cart before Horse again and again >>SOJs

JohnnyJet likes this.
  2. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

only way it makes it is by winning the lombardi, nothing short of it which imo is a very difficult task even going into this year.

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  3. RevisIsland18

i dont know why people keep saying multiple draft picks...we basically gave up a 1st, now a 2nd...later rounds are so hit or miss anyways.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

multiple = more than 1. The Jets gave up multiple draft picks for Rodgers

JohnnyJet likes this.
  5. RevisIsland18

so clarify which picks were given up b/c way you're writing, it leans towards jets giving up multiple 1s w/o any picks in return.

here's the package:

Packers sent 15th overall draft pick (first round) and a fifth-round selection (No. 170) in exchange for the Jets' 13th overall draft choice (first round), a second-round pick (No. 42), a sixth-round pick (No. 207)

so its 1 pick overall....not multiple

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

next year's second is also going to Green Bay

JohnnyJet and James Hasty like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

what? you can't compare since 1 player isn't playing. and no he doesn't cost less. he costs the same. and he's having a huge down year in NO compared to his past years. his age is the 1 positive

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Were not getting Davante Adams. Its just a delusion going around the board. The guy would cost a high draft pick plus cost around 35 million a year for the next 3 years. We currently have 31 million next year before cuts. And he turns 31 in two weeks.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

spotrac shows only 15mil?

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He will cost way less than what he was traded for 2 years ago and the money won't matter. The Jets will have at a minimum 2x what we currently have according to Jason Fitzgerald from OTC.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That's this season. He costs 25 million next year and 44 million in 25, 26 - when he will be 35 years old. Also, Rodgers costs us 50 million in 25 (which is guaranteed), so that would be 94 million for a 42 year old QB and 34 year old WR in 2025.

Honestly his contract would lower his trade value but its just not a smart move when there are so many better paths.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

was trying to figure out the difference. looks like OTC projects the cap at 256mil, Spotrac does at 240mil. thats the difference. those are the only 2 sources I can find as well so no way to know who will be right. in the past through, spotrac has typically been more accurate. 30mil would be nice to have though.

I was also looking at ways to clear room. Q is an easy restructure to save about 7.5mil this season. releasing mosley will save 11mil. JFM would save 7mil and could possibly fetch a late pick in a trade. Uzo is an easy cut for 5 mil. Trading zach could save 5 mil. thats about 35.5mil extra we can spend on the offense. I'd hate losing mosley but you can't have it all and maybe sherwood is ready to step up. he was drafted as the replacement for mosley.

ouchy likes this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

"I was listening to Jason Fitzgerald on OTC as a guest on the Badlands podcast this morning and he was saying the Jets are in a better cap situation than most believe. They can restructure a lot of guys on the D which will free up money and those guys have performed so it won't even be detrimental, cut both TEs, + the annual cap increase. They really need to make sure they don't tag Huff because all $23 million of that will count towards the cap. Becton could easily be done on a bridge deal for 1-2 years at $10-12/year where they add 4 void years to bring down the the cap hit in 24."

Posted this earlier. Fitzgerald says he could see us getting up to $90 million in cap.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

I was talking about our cap room next year, not adams contract. I'd rather go after evans personally.
    adams contract sucks for a team trading for him. bonus was low and it was back loaded. the team taking him on pays 29.3mil over 3 years when he's 32,33 and 34. I don't want to take that on.
    As a 1 year rental though he's only guaranteed the 17mil for 2024 so 1 year for 17mil is a great value for him but would cost a pick. based on his age and the contract i'm willing to say they would sell him off cheap to clear the cap room. Mike evans value is listed at 20ish mil

ouchy likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sorry misunderstood. I was using over the cap to get 31 million. Not sure which is closest but IMO Sprotrac is usually a better source for single contracts and Over the Cap is better for team salary cap.

GasedAndConfused and dawinner127 like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

I think 90 is a bit high but he does have some valid points. they are saying the cap will be 256 so with rollover we will have around 31. I don't see many restructure candidtaes. Q is an easy one. take 10 mil of his salary and turn it into a bonus. that saves 7.5. trading zach would save 5. Uzo cut is 5. We could cut mosley for 11 or do a restructure and save about the same but that pretty much guarantees he has to be cut 2025 and will carry alot of dead cap. 2025 is going to be rough for us. doing all that gets up to about 60mil. JFM is a cut/restructure candidiate so could add another 5 to that on a restructure or 7 if cut. so maybe about 65mil give or take. Bectons value is at 13/yr, Huff is listed at 10/yr Whitehead at 5/yr. all 3 could get 2 year deals slightly backloaded so they cost about 22 add in rookies for 13 which gives us 25mil left. Could go after williams at OT (valued at about 15/m) and have room to add a WR.

dawinner127 likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I still think Williams gets a ridiculous deal regardless of his projected contract. He’s the only tackle under 30 worth anything this off-season (offensive lineman really other than maybe Connor Williams in Miami?). Jonah Jackson is another one but he’s a guard from Detroit. That’d be a nice grab.

18. GasedAndConfused

he could. crazy things happen on the open market. I can't see us signing an expensive guard though with AVT and tomlinson already penciled in. tippman likely starts at C. schwietzer is still on the roster as a backup for 2024. we'll probably sign some depth for OG only. lower tier guys. may bring back CMG as well.

I also noticed spotrac is missing players on their list of FA OTs. Onwenu from NE is coming off his rookie deal too. don't know much about him personally but he grades well on PFF and listed as an OT. he also earned a performance escalator. austin jackson is a former 1st coming off his rookie deal where they didn't pick up his 5th year option, as well he's been healthy 3 out of his 4 years. there are a couple others. I could see us signing 2 OTs and a WR plus drafting an OT with out top pick since it is a good OT class

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

"The Rogers Gambit" isn't on the regime, this gambit is Woody's baby. I cannot fathom how anyone with eyes could see it any other way.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would imagine it comes down to who broached the idea first... Woody or JD.. I have a feeling Woody didn't wake up one morning and then asked JD to call GB about Rodgers.