The Rex Ryan era that SHOULD have been...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Dec 14, 2014.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

How do I know? Maybe Rex's tattooing of ol'butt fumble's number to his body gave me a clue. Rex has been coaching the jets for 6 years. If you haven't noticed, they have been getting WORSE, not better, under his watch. My God, the jets are 3-12 and are one of the laughing stocks of the NFL. How many more years do you want to keep making excuses for Rex? Typical Rex worshiper--when the jets lose, it is not Rex's fault, they didn't get him a QB. When the jets win (although under Rex it has been a long time, I barely remember), then Rex gets all the credit.

JetsNation06, Jets69 and TNJet like this.
  2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the guy got a tattoo to celebrate his first HC gig and first high profile draft pick, like all of us, he hoped that they would go on to great things together, it didn't happen but you think he started Mark because he had a tattoo with his number on it?

absolutely the Jets have been getting worse and nobody gets a free pass but I don't put all the blame on one guy when its an organizational wide issue - the coach can only coach the players he has available to him - we have never had a credible answer at QB during the last 6 years - either in terms of a draft pick or a vet - do you think that's primarily the fault of the coach or the FO? is it the coaches job to draft players and recruit players through free agency or is that the role of the FO?

I think rex is an above average coach - that's it, I don't think he is awesome and the answer to every prayer - I think he is a pretty decent coach, seems like a good guy, and we haven't seen the best of him because the team, aside from a few keepers, pretty much sucks - what I get tired of is people putting 100% of the blame onto one guy as if his getting fired is going to make all the difference in the world - it isn't.

edit: I don't even know why I am wasting my time arguing about this crap - I don't care enough about some millionaire coach I don't know that is going to go on to make millions more either coaching or in the media - or a team of mostly crappy players many of whom are going to make millions regardless - or a bunch of people wasting their time on a website where we sit around discussing the same bunch of people - none of whom more than likely really give a crap about anyone on this forum or other fans other than the $$$ we spend on the team goes to pay their wages

have a merry Xmas - and I hope you get your Xmas wish on Monday and rex gets sacked and the Jets become a fantastic team as a result of the changes.

#62 JetsUK, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  3. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Great perspective on the Rex Ryan situation from Bill Simmons that I 100% agree with.

"BS: I hope the Jets are dumb enough to fire Rex — the guy who won them four road playoff games in two years even though Mark Freaking Sanchez was playing QB for him. We always hear that you’re only as good as your QB. Well, Rex’s starting QBs ranked 24th, 17th, 26th, 32nd, 28th and 30th in QBR from 2009 through 2014. During that time, the Jets never had a 1,000-yard receiver and only had three 1,000-yard running backs (Thomas Jones in 2009 and Shonn Greene in 2011 and 2012). In the past 12 years, the Jets have drafted one above-average skill position player … and it was a kick returner (Leon Washington in 2006). And this is Rex’s fault?

Firing Rex and replacing him with Jim Schwartz or Greg Schiano would be the Jetsiest Jets moment since they tackled Delanie Walker to keep themselves from getting a top-two pick."

Didn't even mention our terrible corners.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

4 consecutive non-winning seasons and the jets are 3-12 this year. Yeah, a great caoch.

Pocket Jet, JetsNation06 and Jets69 like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Simmons is a Pats fan bitch. He's only writing this to take a shot at them because it's obvious they will fire Rex.

If the Jets did the unthinkable and fired Idzik but kept Rex he'd dig the knife in on how stupid an organization the jets are for keeping a coach like Rex through another GM search... Yada Yada yada he's just taking a shot because he hates the jets.

Pocket Jet, JetsNation06 and Jake like this.
  6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

We would all like a coach that can run a draft/coach players in every phase of the game/be flawless in picking staff but unfortunately they don't grow on trees and Rex is still respected in league circles even at 3 wins because judging a coach by simply record is like judging a QB by wins, Marino never won shit and is a top 5 QB all time in my opinion.

Call Rex whatever you want but when the defensive gameplan is even remotely executed he can make Tom Brady or A Rodgers look like scrubs, the amount of busted coverages has been laughable this year with these terrible defensive backs, no coverage safety, practice squad corners, Calvin Pace the walking molasses at OLB. So much wrong with the roster but he needs another situation with a decent QB which is why he should go.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Surely Rex has nothing to do with how this roster is constructed though... It's just a coincidence that a guy so defensive oriented like him has been a part of an organization that always drafts defense early in the draft and can't develop any offensive talent.

Just a coincidence... Poor Rex

And yeah maybe he should go somewhere with a good QB/offense.. So he can ruin it. Any other team doing worse is better for the Jets chances in the future

8. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

You think Rex wanted a trail technique corner like Milliner and back to back first round 3 technique guys like Coples and Sheldon. Come on man scouts and coaches give opinions but at the end of the day one man makes the pick. That "Stephanie Hill" pick was definitely Rex too.

9. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Just bolding to waft the stinky smell of bullshit a little more. Rex went on record very early that Tanny and a couple scouts in the organization were going on and on about Stephen Hill and Rex said 'I never saw it at first to be honest with you.' Then the obligatory 'but now that he's here boy does he seem to have a lot of ability and potential.'

jetlife21 likes this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because Bill Simmons has the faintest clue about what it takes to be a good NFL coach (NOT). And he's talking about Rex Ryan from 4 years ago and not dealing in the present. Furthermore, he acts as if Ryan had no hand in the destruction of all his QB's and acts as if all of these offensive shortcomings have nothing to do with the HC of the team. Talk about BS. A typical copout quote. There's nothing here of substance that could exonerate Ryan in the slightest. Oh btw, Simmons mainly covers the NBA and not the NFL for a reason. He should stick to his manlove for LeBron. His quote about Ryan and the Jets means less than zero and shows how little he knows about football.

tomdeb likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex thinks he needs 3 great CB's to win at the NFL level. Every other coach on earth is content with 1 and can get by with just a couple of average guys if they have to.

The loss to Peyton Manning at the end in 2009 solidified Rex's belief that he had to be able to press cover 3 guys out of the spread if he needed too. So we traded for Cromartie and we drafted Wilson and the window slammed shut shortly thereafter and Rex could never get the Jets back on top again after that. It was the QB that was his downfall but it was his belief that he had to have 3 really good CB's that sealed the deal.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

What are u talking about,we haven't had even two good corners on this team since before Revis got injured in 2012

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You can't judge a coach by the record of his team? Try selling that to any NFL owner (or fan for that matter).

14. jetlife21

Not Really. This is from the mailbag last week.
    "Q: The Jets are so incompetent that we cannot even lose games when we need to. Losing was our biggest strength as an organization, the skill that might have landed us our savior, Marcus Mariota, but now we get to draft some anonymous right tackle and suck for another five years. Bill Simmons, you will never understand the struggle of the life of a Jets fan.
    —Tyler, Washington, D.C.

BS: That’s the thing — I do understand! I was a Patriots fan from 1974 through 2001. We were kindred spirits with Jets fans for four solid decades. You drafted Ken O’Brien over Dan Marino; we drafted Tony Eason over Dan Marino. We were black sheep brothers! You even stole Parcells from US. If anything, you had the upper hand before 2001 thanks to that Super Bowl you won. And you’ll probably grab the upper hand back after Brady retires and Belichick retires to launch the Boomer and Belichick morning show on ESPN Radio with Chris Berman. The point is …We're not so different from you."

Definitely left Spygate out as a reason everything changed from 2001, but all Pats fans pretend Spygate never happened..Cheating MFers.

15. jetlife21

I don't form an opinion based off of what this man says but it's pretty easy to see his point.
    His comments mean NO COACH IN THE NFL can win when your QB ranking the past 3 seasons is 28th, 30th, 32nd. Shit when Sanchez held his own and was ranked 17th and 24th we got a game away from the SB both years. You need a top 10 QB to win in this league, it's obvious. Even if we had top 12-17 we could've really made a dent, but everything on offense was a disaster..and it wasn't Rex's job to bring the necessary talent, it was Tanny/Idzik's. Shonn Greene was a terrible feature back, our WRs probably average out to be worst in the NFL over Rex's run. We lost half our O-line after 2010 and never looked the same since. Blaming Rex because we drafted defensive players in the 1st even though it wasn't his decision doesn't cut it.
    IDC if Simmons is the head of the Patriots Fan Club or Lebron Worshippers he made valid points.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What are u talking about? The Jets have stunk since before Revis got injured in 2012.

17. LongIslandBlitz

What am I talking about?you said Rex thinks he needs 3 top cbs to succeed in the NFL,we haven't had even two top corners since 2012 when we had the num 1 ranked passing d. Right now we have the 6 the ranked defense overall and the 15th ranked passing defense with a bunch of scrubs playing corner.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

???

19. LongIslandBlitz

I'm not sure he even knows what he's trying to say

20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

if you really think that Rex had no say in the fact that our last 6 number one picks and 2 out of the top 3 in the last 4 drafts went for defense then perhaps you should go back to the Pats.