The Rex Ryan Era is Over

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Dec 1, 2013.

1. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

It's disturbing to me too, but the issue is the offense has performed so poorly that the defense gets wiped out. Right now a touchdown drive seems impossible. It's going to be a miserable finish to the season. Who would have thought that the Giants starting 0-6 would have the same record as the Jets right now?

We may very well finish with only 5 wins this season, looks like the Jets finally found that consistency everyone wanted, just consistently awful. and for that Rex will get fired.

2. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

Even if Geno had better weapons, I still think he wouldn't be any better!

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Did you see the one pass he floated past Nelson? Nelson was wide open for a 15 yard gain and first down on the sidelines, Geno sails one a good 10 yards over his head and goes 3 and out, then leaves to boos at Metlife.

I tend to agree he does nothing well, he can barely manage to hand the ball off.

What I don't understand is why MM isn't calling more read option plays with Geno? He was successful with those.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we didn't have strong starts in any of the 3 seasons.

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Yeah ---- a strong start is like 5-1. We havent had any of those. Our finishes are going into the toilet as well.
    Everyone wants to say "his first 2 years he led us to the AFC Championship game!!!!!"
    Enough of that. It was years ago & its been proven time and time again that a team experiences a success "bump" with a coaching change ---- anyone reminder Mangenious?????

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so - his teams have just collapsed from average starts each of the last 3 seasons. Either way that's bad... actually worse.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hey now, don't forget those back to back AFCCG games!

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ftr I jumped on the fire Rex bandwagon last week, so welcome aboard to the newcomers.

9. nyjunc

look at the talent, let me know one coach that would have had the last 2 teams in playoff contention in December?

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Rex is going on his third OC in 5 years. He is proving that a good HC cannot just turn over the offense to a coordinator and concentrate on defense. The team is not well coached. After a good start other teams have found the answers to stopping them and exploiting the flaws of a rookie Qb. They didn't want to start Geno out of training camp but after Garrard was injured had almost no choice. And as for the deep ball they know all about it, but still can't stop it. Rex is out of his element. He is a natural born defensive coordinator. And has shown he is unable or not willing to coach the entire team. If the Jets fire him sure he will get a job in five minutes (his brother didn't when he got fired but eventually landed in a good place). But not as a head coach.

#190 pclfan, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I've been a Rex supporter since he was hired. I supported him because the Jets finally had an identity, DEFENSE! We all knew the Jets would consistently have a top 5-10 defense year in and year out with Rex at the helm. Initially that was exciting to see because the previous regim had made investments on the other side if the ball. This allowed for some assembleance of balance and also allowed Rex to dictate who the Jets drafted.

What I didn't realize is how inept he was at managing the other 2 phases of the game. With that previous talent on the offensive and ST now gone, we are left with what... A team that is not balanced from a talent perspective. Consistent investments on the defensive side of the ball with high draft picks combined with reaches and bad contracts in the offensive side of the ball have put this team in the situation they are in.

We should have all seen this about two years ago during the Plax, Mason, and Cotchery scenario. Why hasent there been a commitment by the organization to draft weapons on the outside? Don't give me Stephen Fucking Hill, another project and reach. Look at what the Bills have done, seriously. That team has 3X the talent the jets do, and it showed last week.

It's time to pay the piper, invest in some god damn weapons. No more defensive linemen, offensive linemen, project receivers, guards in the top 3 rounds. That's how you build a team like we have now...

12. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

The talent level of this team is so bad, no head coach deserves to be fired. But we don't have a head coach, we have a Def. Cord who does the pressers. I watch him on the sidelines, when the offense is on the field, he is looking at his defensive calls getting ready for the next defensive stop. He does not even watch the offense. He is like a proud papa of the defense, always defends them and leaves the rest of the team to other coaches. Players love him because he never screams at them during the game ( loved Parcells) or plays games in the media and gives them 8 days off during the bye and guys go to London. That's a great way to rest!!!! Its time to blow it up, get rid of Sanchez, Holmes, Ducasse, Hill and every other piece of garbage that we drafted and get a HEAD COACH in here

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

How about the countless games in all 5 seasons under Rex, where the team came out and looked 100% unprepared to play football? We don't have to list the games do we?

That is on the coach and Ive had enough. Rex is gone on black Monday.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

All true. Not to mention, has anyone seen how many fuckin points we've given up this year?????? Holy shit. Great defense? hahahhaha

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ya for sure keep Rex, especially considering we need tons of offensive help, Rex is always sure to develop these players!

16. nyjunc

I hope we hire Rich Kotite or Bruce Coslet, it is what our fanbase deserves.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Please don't jnyx us junc. It's amazing how bi-polar this fanbase is. It's freaking pitiful.

18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

So is leading the NFL in turnovers the past three years is on the fan base? No, it's on the coaching staff. Now Rex's team is having issues with penalties and his Defense isn't generating turnovers....who's bi-polar?

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No, you guys are all quitting on Rex when 3 weeks ago after beating the Saints you guys wanted to give him an extension! The fan-base plays a role in who coaches this team and we are about to run the best coach we've had in years out of town.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't agree that the talent level is terrible. In some areas way below average like with Wrs even though Tone is an above average receiver. And who knew that Stephen Hill would pull a Vern Gholston and disappear for the entire season. I see us getting out coached and over the time Rex has been the coach poor execution and lots of penalties. In most areas talent wise the Jets are ok to very good. And you've seen it so far this year when we've played well against good teams like NO and the Patriots. Don't use this as an excuse for Rex again. He has enough talent including on offense to play a lot better than this. The Fins with a second year coach are a lot more respectable than we are and don't have good talent also in some areas (like the OL). But they show up and are much more competitive even when they lose.