The Return of The Hidden Production: A Quinnen Williams story

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Pressure up the middle makes any QB less effective, even the mobile ones. Setting the edge against the quick QB's is really important once they get flushed out of the pocket. Lamar Jackson is hard to contain and you're unlikely to sack him with any edge rusher unless the OT whiffs on the initial rush.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, pressure up the middle has become increasingly more important the past few years, but it doesn't happen effectively or consistently without pressure from the edge, and a decent secondary. Guess what the Jets have been lacking these past few years? No doubt Leo would've been much more productive than he was, and QW can be if this situation is remedied. But this again highlights the absolute cluelessness of Macc in knowing how to build a team. Without any real proof, I'm much more hopeful that Douglas knows what he's doing.

boozer32 and Mogriffjr like this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm at Steps 2,3 and 4. Here's hoping Dr. Douglas can get the Jets out of purgatory. The Williams pick sucks so bad. There was absolutely no reason to take him.

foreboding and tomdeb like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Hopefully he'll have that future on another team. If Greg Williams can't get it out of you it will never be there.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Williams looking trim
    [​IMG]

Mogriffjr and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Who cares?
    Where does it say he has to?
    Please post and list all those sources

7. LF911SC

Year 2 isnt 4-6 years.
    How about this, do you want to give up after one year and have him become a HOF lineman? Does the over the top example work both ways?
    I always need to ask, what sweat is it off anyones ass if we wait a couple of years? Did it kill us with Leo only becoming a good DL and not a top DL like predicted?

Red Menace and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. LF911SC

Yeah, this just isnt true. Look at what the Pats have been doing the last few years, all their pressure comes up the middle.

As for Macc, he was clueless. I wanted Allen, thought we needed an edge more than an interior lineman

boozer32 and blackssmagic like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is true. The Pats have done it with great blitzing inside linebackers, space eating defensive tackles and Jordan Jenkins type of good edge setting edge players. They've had one truly dominant edge rusher in Chandler Jones, in their two decades of dominance. And he was shipped away after being a clown.

You can manufacture pressure if you have players who want to play as a unit rather than an individual. It's just incredibly tough to find 7 players up front that want to do that, let alone 11 for the entire unit.

Dont'a Hightower has probably been their best pressure generator for a long time. He doesn't put up gawdy sack numbers but he's a killer with up the middle pressure.

Let's give Quinnen Williams a chance. He only had one magical year of dominant production in college but man was he dominant and fast.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

All the more reason why the Jets are still interviewing DT prospects. They can nab a beefy NT in the later rounds to leave Q strictly off that position. Foley and McLendon are good starts but you need depth there in case of injury.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  11. FJF

I wonder if they told him to slim down so they can use him as a 4-3 end?

Mogriffjr and Red Menace like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A little bit of toning up wouldn't hurt him, he just looked phat last season :D

FJF likes this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Oh no, don't settle for a 2nd round pick for Q or some poster named "Joe" will go ballistic. When I suggested 2 weeks ago that we offer Q for Washington's 2nd rounder (a high pick) AND OT Trent Williams, Joe almost had a heart attack calling me "dumb" and others "nutty" for daring to suggest that the jets move Q.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

If this was tongue in cheek then excuse my reasoning, but he was listed 300 ish on the website which is fine for a DT but not nearly BIH enough to play the nose which he did quite a bit last year. If he did lose weight, he’s def not playing the nose anymore...

K'OB likes this.
  15. K'OB

The in-joke is the Phat part tbh ;) really it was originally about Leo Williams

Mogriffjr likes this.
  16. FJF

Nice high and tight haircut tho.

K'OB likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

18. LF911SC

Did you read anywhere that he was told to slim down?

Or did he, as with lots of college players, change his body by taking his workouts and lifting to a new level as required in the NFL. Its not college where you can dominate with your natural strength.

Mogriffjr and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  19. K'OB

Indeed, a proper haircut.

20. FJF

I don’t read anything but that’s a big transformation from when he was drafted. Typically they give players some instruction before the players leave for the offseason on what they want to see, bigger and stronger ,leaner and more explosive , something to dictate how they may use him more next year or to improve on. But I’m just wondering out loud based on my first thoughts on the picture.

K'OB likes this.