The Return of The Hidden Production: A Quinnen Williams story

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I actually was at that draft in 2003, when we had 2 1st rounders, I was not happy at the time. But had great time! Dwayne was good player, but when we traded up and gave 2 picks, it put tremendous amount of expectation on him, which to be fair.did not help him. He was good but not dominating. Which everyone expected. I think he was good player, but just wish we would have just stood pat and take 2 players with BPA. But Herm valued the position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDFjet likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

He was never any good. We as Jet fans didn't label him D-Slob for nothing; he was absolutely worthless and once moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 he became one of the worst and most useless NT's I've ever witnessed.

As soon as we got rid of him after the 2007 season we landed Kris Jenkins in 2008, who made the Pro Bowl that year and Jet fans absolutely fell in love with him because we replaced D-Slob with a real NFL NT/DT.

And if Kris Jenkins never got injured midway of 2009 I believe we would have went to the SB especially come 2010 because the Steelers in the first half began to run ALL OVER US during the AFC Championship Game and I've always felt and believed that would've never happened with Kris Jenkins absolutely dominating against the run. Pouha was awesome for us in replace of Kris but he wasn't Jenkins in terms of impact.

Both Lam Jones and Roger Vick were a little before my time (born in 1985) but Vernon Gholston, Kyle Brady and Dewayne Robertson are the 3 biggest Jet busts that I've seen All-Time.

There was nothing "good" about Robertson and he's one of the biggest Jet busts of All Time.

RochesterJet and cval like this.
  3. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Let me push my luck. Why didn’t Sam Cowart work out, or did he? And what was the logic/and fan reaction to the Doug Jolley trade

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Sam Cowart was awesome for us during his first two seasons he was an absolute tackling machine. However in his 3rd season as a Jet he was moved back to MLB (where he made a name for himself with Buffalo) and in year 3 as a Jet he got injured and that created the birth of Jonathan Vilma. Vilma immediately stepped into the role of a starter and never looked back. Went onto win Defensive Rookie of the Year (2004) and once Sam Cowart realized that Vilma was a young monster, and wouldn't be able to start over him any longer? Sam demanded/asked for a trade and received his wish.

Doug Jolley? I can't comment too much because I barely remember him @ all. I just remembered we thought we were getting an impact TE and we got a bust instead.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Q looked good today. Hopefully the reason he was pulled and checked in the trainer's room isn't serious. As a guy who hated taking him at #3, and who has not been impressed with him until recently, I think it would be a mistake to let him go.

rammagen, BomberJet, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Q making plays out there

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

He had a quad injury... He came back but he didn't play nearly as much after the fact

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Hope it heals quick, but they can be slow to heal.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes. Another 2 tackles for loss. He was already top 3 amongst all DTs/NTs in tackles for loss behind the LOS heading into KCs game I'm not sure how the other two DTs did today but he could be ranked #1 right now amongst all DT and NTs for tackles for loss right now.

I've been hard on QW because I'm a defensive minded fan and for the first time since Rex our defense could be as worse as our offense and as "DWC" I've just been frustrated

but I'm beginning to really love QW moving forward because he's like the only really good player surrounded by really bad players which let's me know that he can literally become an all time great Jets D-Lineman once - surrounded by good players. He'll easily become, greatness.

He's top 5 as only a 2nd year kid @ only age 22 in 3 main categorizes of 1.) Tackles. 2.) Sacks and 3.) Tackles for loss behind the LOS and even tho we have a losing team and a losing defense; he's a winning talent.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

@ only 22 years of age and as only a 2nd year player out of Alabama, Quinnen Williams now ranks amongst all DTs and NTs...

2nd in combined Total Tackles (only behind Sheldon Richardson).

2nd in Tackles for Loss behind the LOS (only behind Aaron Donald).

4th in Sacks (only behind Aaron Donald/Chris Jones/Akiem Hicks).

I really hope to see him make the AFC Pro Bowl team; because he's already one of the most dominant players at his position.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Pleasant surprise

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Q's progress is really no surprise to me. I always supported the pick since he was very young but had enormous potential. Jets need to get him some support on pressure on out side edges. Jenkins has been invisible this year, wtf happened to him? Did Zuniga even play?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

youve become the single worst poster on this board. Its soooo bad dude

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Josh Allen is quickly trending, downwards.

Yes. He had a decent rookie season but that was only because he was lined up opposite of a real animal in Yannick Ngakoue who's already recorded 42.5 career sacks as only a 5th year player and demanded attention.

I actually created a post during the off-season predicting how Josh Allen would come crashing back down to earth and become exposed as a pass rusher come 2020 once Yannick Ngakoue was no longer playing opposite of him.

And that's exactly what's happening for Josh Allen here in 2020 ala only 7 tackles, 2 sacks and only 2 tackles for loss.

Quinnen Williams is truly begining to look like a generational DT/NT within the makings and Josh Allen? Meh. Not so much.

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Dwayne Robertson would have been a good pick, if he was there with the 13th AND was played in the right position. The Jets got all JETSY and moved the 13th and the 22nd to move up to #3 and pick Robertson, who rocketed up draft boards late. He played in the SEC and had a amazing burst as an inside pass-rusher. Many thought he'd be the next Warren Sapp. Keep in mind, this was the same time Sapp was dominating in Tampa.

But as usual, the Jets fucked him up from the jump. Jets tried to use him as a NT in a base 3-4, not playing to Robertson's strengths as a projected 3 technique in a 4-3 (ala Sapp).

This franchise has a long history impulse decisions and misalignment between the front office and the coaching staff. Total lack of vision for decades.

If the Jets had stayed at #13 & #22, look who was available

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NFL_Draft

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Ok and I made that post out of 2020 Jets frustration (and quickly apologized and took it back) but you forgot to quote me on this post below where I explained my frustration...

Funny how you wouldn't quote that post of me in regards to QW.

Or this one below (posted on February 12th of 2020).

But yes. I can't recall you making a single post talking up QW (see below) so please get off your high horse all because I've been frustrated with our 2020 defense and quickly apologized to TGG for my unfair treatment towards QW when I've liked him since day one (outside of 3-4 posts of absolute Jets 2020 frustration).

And you're wrong. because he has shown impact ability and #2 in tackles, #2 in tackles for loss behind the LOS and #4 in sacks amongst all DTs/NTs as only a 2nd year player and @ only 22 years of age doesn't lie.

I can admit in life as a man when I'm wrong, but can you?

And please don't consider anyone as being a bad poster here on TGG when you had the nerve to create a thread actually PRAISING Mangini for drafting KELLEN CLEMENS lolwow

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/kudos-to-tangini.5823/

You should go back to 2007 of 13 years ago; because you're not even FUNNY anymore as a poster.

#336 DefenseWinsChampionships, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I did see th apology afterwards.....all good. Gotta stop referencing Jamal bruh

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He played as a 3T in the 4-3 for two years under Herm and was OK but underwhelming for what he was supposed to be. Then yeah when Mangini came in he was round peg square holed. Maybe he was about to take off?

I always thought he got a bit of a bad rap. The Jets got antsy because they botched the Warren Sapp pick in 1995, watched him win the SB and figured they would be able to right the wrong.

It's not just us though. The entire NFL became infatuated with defensive tackles in that draft after the Buccaneers won the SB. Three defensive tackles in the top 10, and five in the first round.

RochesterJet likes this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm really not all that upset about losing Jamal anymore because JD landed us two first round picks for him and if we're to land Trevor Lawrence I really hope we use our Jamal Adams pick (in no specific order) on a game breaking offensive WR/TE/RB or O-Lineman in order to build around Trevor Lawrence.

I will say this. I remember when we traded Revis away to TB. Afterwards he returned to our Jets (although not the same type of player). I'd love for (after we throw away Gase) for JD and Jamal to put the past behind and return Adams back to NY (Revis pt. 2).

It'll be so funny if even trading away 2 first round picks for Jamal that Jamal somehow screws over Seattle and refuses to sign a long term extension with Seattle and like a DOG roams his way back home while Trevor Lawrence is on a rookie deal meaning that Seattle lost two 1st round picks for absolutely nothingness.

One can dream, right?

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Friendly bump. You on vacation bud?

jonnyd, Mogriffjr and FJF like this.