The Return of The Hidden Production: A Quinnen Williams story

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Feb 10, 2020.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sunk cost fallacy at it's finest. Where he was drafted is irrelevant at this point. He hasn't been as good as you'd expect a 3rd overall pick to be.

Having said that, he has looked much better this season than last. I wouldn't trade him unless it's a home run deal for us.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If it were so easily replaced, the Cowboys, Texans, Jaguars, Bengals, etc. wouldn't lose every week because they can't stop the run.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Idk how great our run defense is now. And also, it’s a passing league! If you could get a 2 and a 4, give or take, your really hold onto him?
    We’ve seen this with the 91719 3-4 lineman we’ve drafted this decade, we know where this ends

And when I say replaced, I don’t necessarily mean 100% equal production. But if we can get 70% of the production by a replacement, but get picks in return, I’m cool w/that.

I will remind you, last year our run defense was fine with other guys-I believe some undrafted.

#303 Stevied, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Except he's not a 3-4 defensive lineman. He's a 3T.

No I don't want a two and a four. We have a lot of draft picks. He's a good player already.

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Q's only 22 - I'd say keep him , the Jets will not get a #1 for him at this stage. If they can manage to get OLB/DE pass rusher to compliment Q, he'll be even more effective.

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I mean he's playing plenty well this season and dealt with a high ankle sprain all last. Calling someone a sunk cost 1.5 years into their career is pretty reactionary, don't you think? Especially since he's had probably his best two games in back to back weeks?

3rd overall pick does matter right now. It's one thing of it's been 3-4 years, another when it's been 1 and he's played well. Do you honestly think we'd definitely draft an equally good player with a 2nd? It's not just the Jets that are bad at drafting, every team misses on most of their picks. Q isn't a miss.

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Our run defense is horrible since losing Jamal. We were awesome the top 1-2 rated run D last year and this year with Maye and Q as our leaders? Lol. One of the worst defenses around. He's no Aaron Donald and when picking 3rd overall? That's what you expect. Heck. He's not even a pro bowl player. He's "just another DT". Trade him for a 1st or even 2nd and use the QW pick on an explosive offensive weapon for TL. We're 0-7 and our defense STINKS and QW isn't helping us to any wins and that's because he's not an impact GAME CHANGER.

I absolutely loved what #33 brought to our defense. I never wanted to see us trade Jamal for two late round 1sts. I wanted him a Jet for life. QW? Eh. Not so much. I really can't wait to unload him for another pick (for offense). QW can be easily replaced regardless if through FA/Draft because he's nothing like the All Rookie, Pro Bowl and 1st team All Pro I once loved watching play on Sundays. QW? I rarely even notice him outside of being the anchor to a crappy run defense.

Stevied likes this.
  8. Stevied

Tomato, tomato. He’s a lineman playing in a 3-4 scheme was my point.

I stand by my point, and the guy who posted above me, that he ain’t no game changer. You brought our run defense falling if we dealt him, ala a Dallas cowboys level defense in that regard. The run D, with him, ain’t golden right now.

Last year, with guys undrafted and drafted later we did just fine, better in-fact than we’ve done this year with him playing a greater role. I’d roll the dice again or draft someone later. Again my point is that we can go cheaper, reproduce most of him with a later pick , and still get another guy or 2 to boot. But guess we agree to disagree

And you’re right we have picks, but given how we’ve drafted, the more swings we get I say the better

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm sorry Jet fans.

I've been so frustrated with 2020's season where I've been hard on Quinnen Williams and I haven't been fair.

I don't want to trade him unless it's for a Jamal Adams type of haul for two first rounders but other than that, he's going to become a great blue chip NFL prospect to build around and should become a Pro Bowl and All Pro animal on our Jets D-Line for many of years to come (and after trading Jamal Adams we need a face to our Defense and I'll become thrilled if QW becomes the face of our Defense moving forward).

He's taken a big step forward here in year #2 so I feel guilty for wanting to trade him out of frustration because...

His 3.0 sacks ranks 4th amongst all DTs/NTs and only behind the likes of Aaron Donald (8.0), Jones of KC (4.5) and Hicks of Chicago (3.5).

• His 28 tackles (already matching last year's 28 tackles) ranks 5th amongst all DT/NT's and only behind the likes of Allen of Washington (31), Tomlinson of NYG (30), Hall of Houston (30) and Jarrett of Atlanta (29); QW is even ahead of Aaron Donald (22) in tackles within the trenches. Could be #1 by years end.

• His 8 tackles for loss behind the Line of Scrimmage ranks 3rd amongst all DTs/NTs only behind the likes of Hicks of Chicago (9) and Aaron Donald of the Rams (9). Could be #1 by years end.

What's most impressive about all of this is that A.) He's extremely young @ only 22 years of age and B.) Surrounded by crap talent.

I believe it's safe to say that if we ever do find an outside pass rushing animal of an OLB; he'll become absolutely dominant with Defensive Player of the Year type of ability within the trenches.

His statistical rookie numbers were damn near identical to Warren Sapp's rookie season numbers and if he gets closer to 9 sacks throughout our remaining 9 games he'll be putting up a Warren Sapp type of breakthrough 2nd year performance. He truly is developing into a monster amongst men within the trenches.

I've been butthurt over trading away Jamal Adams so I do apologize to TGG for that and I'm now finally becoming thankful and appreciative that I have a new animal on Defense to root for and enjoy moving forward in Quinnen Williams out of Alabama; who many draft experts pegged as a can't miss generational DT/NT and here in only year #2 he's already ranked top 5 amongst all DTs and NTs in Tackles, Tackles for Loss behind the LOS and Sacks.

Mods such as @Brook! Can you please do us longtime suffering Jet fans a favor and change the title of this thread of
    "The Return of The Hidden Production: A Quinnen Williams story" to something more appropriate and more fitting?

I don't know what to rename the thread (I'll trust in you) but all I know is that it really gives off negative vibes (especially for me) and is truly an embarrassment of a thread title; especially for visiting fans who visit our Jets fan forum and also for the Jet fans (unlike myself) who've truly supported this kid dating back to day one.

He's not only our best Defensive player but he's truly the most dominant player on our entire roster @ only 22 years of age and deserves a more appropriate/fitting thread title. Thanks in advance if possible.

What he's currently doing is not hidden production, it's actually more dominant than even myself personally has realized.

#309 DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    ouchy and BomberJet like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What the hell is this? The atonement stage of some kind of twelve step program?

11. Stevied

I hope you’re right my man! I never wanted him, I wanted Allen, and the second he said, “God bless you” to himself, I woulda given him away. I’ve never heard of or seen that before.

12. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

True and false, true being 3rd pick irrelevant because can’t change that, but false the it doesn’t matter, the jets used high draft capital on Q. And even he’s not 3rd pick production, he is young and progressing, and on rookie deal. A 2nd round pick, or even low 1st is probably not going to land equal value of the player he currently is. I know could, if lucky, but not likely. If the jets keep drafting high 1st round picks and trade them for 2nd rounders or they bust, then the jets will be miserable for many years, as they are. That is what has happened last 10 years! I don’t know all the hype on trading proven young talent for draft picks. Because The idiotic HC didn’t pick him and not his guy... in rebuild, I get the veteran or expiring rookie contracts for big money, but not this one. JD not some magic man that every pick will turn out as star, he will miss just like others. So taking that risk not great choice in this case in my opinion. That said jets also have history of not paying home grown talent, when time comes. I think that is a Johnson thing. That needs to stop too! We trade pro bowlers for picks (rarely to hit on them), only to end up with nothing or lesser players. pro bowl players are pro bowl for a reason. Pay them accordingly when time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#312 Sack exchange, Oct 31, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    b.reyes16 likes this.
  13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Looks like a possibility of Zuniga playing his 1st game this weekend. If him and Huff can put pressure on Mahomes it would help reduce the
    double teaming on Q. Should be interesting to watch.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Stop using facts. He's not Aaron Donald so he's a bust.

The thing is he has improved quite a bit since last year and while he's not elite (yet), we're seeing progress. This isn't a Dewayne Robertson or Brian Thomas situation where they weren't busts but were unimpressive starters the rest of their careers. Not to mention getting rid of him the leaves us a hole on defensive line and further hurts our run defense, something that hasn't been the same without Adams.

I think what can make a guy like Quinnen really special is if we finally get a damn edge rush player that forces opposing QB's to step up into the pressure Williams creates. He's a fine piece to build around who is good at stopping the run and pass rushing. It makes no sense trading him unless its for a haul.

#314 Quinnenthebeast, Oct 31, 2020
  15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He could be the Jets best player now. He could easily have two to three more sacks that were taken away on questionable penalties.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Just more drivel

17. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Brian Thomas was decent starting player a long time, late 1st pick. So that is reasonable expectation. Rarely get superstar there. Robertson was starter for us but never lived up to 3rd pick, we traded up for. It was bad trade and picking Q 3rd pick would not be my choice. Robertson was starter and serviceable for more than few years. Should have stood pat in hindsight. Ghoston was a unquestionable bust. So no comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#317 Sack exchange, Oct 31, 2020
  18. Stevied

I think I was like 14, when we took Dwayne. Remind me, was he good and then the knee thing happened and killed his career?

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He was a good to very good 3t in herms cover 2. The knees and being forced to play nose in manginis 3-4 ended his career.

20. Stevied

Thanks