The Return of The Hidden Production: A Quinnen Williams story

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Feb 10, 2020.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

agreed but i doubt any OC is doing too much to stop those guys. and to be fair i don't think they're losing sleep over Q at the moment. But in the ordinary course of doing their jobs when they play the Jets right now they say double Q. Why not? it would be stupid not to? it's not like we're making them pay for doing so. ANd that has to change

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

No but if you were the opponents OC what would you do? We're not making the opponent pay the price

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think you should pigeonhole yourself into certain positions. The goal is to add good football players.

Would you take Luke Kuechly (#9 overall) over Morris Claiborne (#6 overall) or Matt Kalil (#4 overall)?

Todd Gurley (#10) over Ereck Flowers (#9) or Kevin White (#6)?

You get the point - not trying to be sarcastic. They didn't draft Quinnen Williams because they were looking for a good run stuffer. They drafted him because he drew a lot of comparisons to the aforementioned Aaron Donald.

Unfortunately his first year didn't look like that. Let's hope he fixes that.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I get all of this, I really do. He had a good year in college, no doubt.

The problem though is that to be worthy of spending a 3rd overall pick on, you have to be almost a surefire thing in the pros. Quinnen was not that. The media was hyping him up as that, but a lot of us poked holes in that narrative before the draft.

For one, he only had one good season. There wasn't the consistent improvement year over year that you want to see in a guy drafted so highly. He also was not a combine freak which is what you usually look for if a guy doesn't have tons of production on the field.

I've watched a lot of film of d-linemen over the years given how many we've spent high picks on. The main thing you want to look for on film is how violent and disruptive they are. Part of this is effort, part of it is raw strength, part of it is tenacity and violent hands. After a certain amount of film, you know it when you see it. Quinnen did not show any of that violence or consistent disruption. He would often disappear for large stretches of games, even when he only had one guy blocking him.

Even with all of that aside, it's just asinine to use a 3rd overall pick on a low impact position like DT, especially when a marquee edge rusher was sitting in our lap. Having the ability to take a blue chip edge rusher in the draft is very rare and we completely blew it. Mac was just an awful, awful drafter. We may not get the chance to draft another edge rusher of Allen's quality for 10 years.

5. REVISion

Nope. I heard this same exact excuse year after year as we did nothing but draft d linemen.

"Just wait until they have help, they'll really shine." Nope. We had a stacked d line for YEARS, I'm talking 2-3 first round picks on the line at the same time, and we could still never generate a pass rush because we never had an edge guy.

We had the chance to get that edge guy, finally, and Mac blew it.

Also I would disagree with your notion that teams go to special effort to prepare for Quinnen. The guy sucks, no one is especially concerned about stopping him.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. REVISion

Were you not a Jets fan when we had 2-3 first round picks on our DL at the same time and still could never generate a pass rush? Guys who generate consistent pressure at interior DL are extremely rare. Quinnen is not one of those guys.

Also stop with the 1 game comparison of Allen and Quinnen this year. Allen made the pro bowl last year while Quinnen was a ghost the entire year. A 1 game sample size means nothing when we have an entire season to compare already.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

By listing the positions I value, I wouldn't be so rigid as to not "break the rule" if a truly exceptional player was available, and who was sure to be (as sure as a draft pick can be) better than anyone else. But this team has followed the BPA formula for too long. There are certain positions that are key, and which make your team into a contender, and those are the players you need to focus on acquiring, even if it means you pass on a BPA at another position.

And it's not like there was no one else that could've been selected that was better AND who played a position of need. Q. Williams and Adams were two palyers who had no business being picked by the Jets over other, much better players/needs that were available. As long as we have a front office that can't figure that out, we're doomed to be losers.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Now Allen and Quinnen are in similar front 7s talent wise. Lets see who has a better season?

9. REVISion

This right here cuts to the heart of the Jets issues over the last 10 years - the team is consistently 5+ years late to every league trend.

Teams with strong passing attacks are starting to light it up and consistently contend? Let's hire defense-first head coaches and try to implement the run game. Oh and let's also spend no draft capital on o line or offensive weapons.

Nobody pays RB's anymore? Let's trade for Bell.

Edge rushers are extremely impactful in a pass-first league? Let's spend all of our premium draft capital on interior DL's.

I'm sure wherever good teams zag next that we'll be sure to zig.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. REVISion

I really don't care what happens this season.

Even if Quinnen goes to the pro bowl and Allen has a terrible season they'll be just about equal in terms of career performance. And I highly doubt that happens.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Hey it's his second year, i like quinnen i hope he develops into an ellis or donald. I can see the point though that he wasn't worth a 3rd. Hopefully he racks up the sacks this year.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Even some good production would do, not the hidden kind though as we won't see it ;)

13. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Even with Big Cat, you knew he was on the field, always close (seemed like always a step away for sack) to a play at least. With Q almost never you see something he is creating. Although he has flashed a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REVISion, barfolomew and K'OB like this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We can but hope

barfolomew likes this.
  15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You can find guys with similar production on the unemployment line. Another bust.

REVISion likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Maybe he's too nice for NFL football. I'm serious. You have to have that edge to make it as an NFL lineman. Its a violent game and everyone is good

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. REVISion

He's just soft, I hate to say. Soft personality, soft body, soft playstyle. Pretty much the opposite of what you want in a DT.

BrowningNagle and JetsNation06 like this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Future trade for a 2nd round pick?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I can see it. You look at a guy like Aaron Donald, sure he has talent that Williams doesn't have, but the biggest difference is that Aaron Donald refuses to be blocked, you can see that desire out there, you could see it at Pitt.

Williams doesn't have that, when you are dominating at Bama its okay to be a nice guy but in the NFL you can't be okay getting handled like that

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Huh?

These are his stats please layout exactly what is very good about them

Year
    Team
    COMB
    AST
    Sack
    INT
    YDS