The Return of The Hidden Production: A Quinnen Williams story

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How did he disappear in big games?

@11-3 LSU
    3.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks and 10 tackles

SEC Championship game vs. 11-3 Georgia
    2 TFL, 1.0 sack, 8 tackles

CFB Championship vs. 15-0 Clemson
    1.5 TFL, 4 tackles

If you watched him vs. Georgia he absolutely dominated the LOS too.

Some of you never saw the kid play in college and your trying to relate your experience with watching him in the pros to how he was in college. Again, he was the best defensive player in college football in 2018.

No Jet fan in their right mind wanted him given our disastrous history with defensive tackles. But he was a phenomenal player and prospect in college.

#201 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he was invisible Sunday.

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

right now if you are the Jets opponent there is only one guy you need to stop on the DL, and that's Q and it's easier to do with a DT because you can double him with two fat guys, and they're succeeding

we need better balance on the line and more threatening DEs. it will make the team better, and Q better

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is how desperate the Jets are for someone to stand out. Like you said no team should be drafting occupying tackle.

REVISion likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Stats are one thing, when and how he got them is another. I saw Alabama play several times that year. I read accounts of the games I didn't see. I read articles about him. I watched him play vs. Clemson in the National Championship game and the game against GA. He was pretty much a nonfactor. I disagree that he dominated the LOS vs GA. He did have a big game against LSU. I honestly do not recall his making one big, momentous play in the game against either UGA or Clemson. I came away from those two games almost totally unimpressed. He was a starter for one year, and his best games were against the weakest competition that Alabama played.

I didn't want him for four reasons:
    1. First and foremost, we needed an edge rusher. We had needed one for 15 years or more, and Josh Allen was a great prospect, a much better prospect than Q. imo. Allen had 3 solid years of production with a big jump his SR. year.
    2. Q. had only one year as a starter and of college production. It was too small a sample size to use the #3 pick on.
    3. Q was surrounded by great players at Alabama. I wondered how much of his success was due to that, while there were no or very few future pros around Josh Allen at Kentucky. Q was a total non-factor in the biggest game of his life vs. Clemson, and hadn't been a whole lot better vs UGA.
    4. We had already used too many 1st round picks on DTs and the DL.

#205 NCJetsfan, Sep 16, 2020
  6. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the bold. It makes total sense when the player was the #3 player taken in the draft, and his play is nowhere near even a 1st round draft pick, let alone the #3 player in the draft. His best simply isn't good enough.

Trumaine is no longer on the team, so he is irrelevant. CJ fired Mac. It wasn't as soon as it should have been, but at least he finally woke up. If Woody was still in charge, Mac would still be the GM.

boozer32 and REVISion like this.
  7. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Shepard was really good last year. McClendon better than average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chandler likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

agreed, sorta. But as a guy who has done nothing so far in his short career, is Q Williams even seeing double teams?

REVISion likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

You obviously didn't watch him, dude. Just admit it.

He had 4-5 pressures. Several in the first half and then they started sliding a double team to him in pass protection. He was double teamed on nearly every run play. He got blocked out of two running plays, otherwise they were mostly bounced outside. Once he started getting doubled in the second half they tried (unsuccessfully) running some stunts.

Solomon Kindley, Isaiah Wilson and Andrew Thomas are all rookie NFL starters this year. Lamont Gaillard is the Cardinals backup center and Ben Cleveland will be drafted this year.

Any article or scouting report about him was a glowing review. Show me one that wasn't?

10. NCJetsfan

I watched him, so get outta here with your nonsense. I know how good UGAs line was and that they had a number of future NFLers on their line. I liked Thomas a lot initially, but eventually decided he wasn't a good fit for the Jets and liked Becton much better. I hoped the Jets would draft Kindley this year. I didn't know that Wilson had the drinking problem he does, but liked him as well.

When I watch players in college play and think about the draft, I try to watch them with an eye towards how they could play in the NFL and if they're a fit for the Jets's schemes. In that I take into consideration their career collegiate production. I saw Q as a Tampa Bay 3T and nothing else, and I never would draft a player at #3 based on one year as a starter, regardless of his production in that one year. Players have career years and never equal that in other years. I don't allow crap like that to fool me. I also don't buy into hype

REVISion likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Lol. It doesn't even make sense. Found the Clemson tape. 3-4 pressures, 4-5 stops at the LOS or in the backfield.

He won the Outland Trophy and is one of ten defensive players in ten years to receive Heisman votes.

:rolleyes:

#211 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 16, 2020
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He might prove me wrong later, but I remain unconvinced that we should've taken him over Allen.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree. Allen was the pick. More production for longer in college at a lesser program where he played really well. That doesn't mean Quinnen Williams sucked or didn't show up in big games though as it's been implied.

14. NCJetsfan

Quit being an ass. I didn't say that Q sucked. I said that imo he didn't show up in big games, and I stand by that. If you disagree, fine. Pull your head out of your ass and move on.

REVISion likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

My head is nowhere near my ass. My case can be proved with film. Either you didn't watch him or you don't remember how good he was at Alabama. It can end up being a bad pick without trying to spread fallacies about him as a player in college.

16. NCJetsfan

You evidently have a reading comprehension problem as well. I'm not spreading fallacies. I'm sharing my opinion. If you don't like it or agree, to effing bad! You're being a total ass, disrespectful, and accusing me of lying. Go fuck yourself.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Neither Bosa or Allen got double teamed last year except in rare play calls. Nor do either of them play DT.

Bosa lined up next to two other probowlers - Arik Armistead (who got most of the double teams) and Deforest Buckner.

Allen also lined up with two other probowlers - Calais Campbell (who got most of the double teams) and Yannick Ngakoue.

How many probowlers were on our front line when QW joined?

You are cherry picking guys who joined all pro defensive lines and acting like they would have had the same success on the Jets. You also falsely claim that they beat double teams. They didn't, nor did they have to. They were final pieces of already dangerous DLs. If Allen or Bosa were drafted by the Jets they would be getting doubled with no one to help them and would have had a mediocre season. But that wouldn't have made them a bust because there is only so much one player can do with little talent around them.

I showed you this example.

Allen no longer has Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue lining up next to him. His stats against the Colts last Sunday = 1 tackle, 1 assist. That's it. No pressures. No QB hits. No passes defended. He got near the ball twice the whole game - as an edge rusher.
    Quinnen had 4 assists Sunday. Now they are both in the same situation, except Quinnen is 3 years younger.

Now Allen and Quinnen are in similar front 7s talent wise. Lets see who has a better season?

#217 ouchy, Sep 16, 2020
  18. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Remember draft pundits hyped Q, to the point they actually had folks believe he was better than Bosa. What a laugh, I suppose Mike M. Went for it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REVISion likes this.
  19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Right, but even with everything you say it is what is called "sunk cost"

Maybe he was over-drafted. I respect the views of those who think so. Maybe he wasn't -- depends what you think about DTs

But on a going forward basis makes no sense to complain about what we "paid" for Q

Plus why would you blame a guy for being drafted at 3. You should be blaming the guy who drafted him that hight, not the player

and the point about Trumaine (I know he's gone) is it's in situations like that where you blame the player. I don't blame the player for doing the job he is asked to do

I blame the FO if they're assembling the wrong players, paying too much etc. But that's not the player's fault

dmw and ouchy like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The bottom line is that a #3 pick should NEVER be used on a DT or Safety or CB. If that's the "BPA" available at that point, trade back and get a bucket of high picks. At #3 you should be looking for a FQB, a game breaking offensive weapon, or a stud pass rusher, or possibly a great LT. It's astounding that someone like Maccagnan who spent years in pro football wouldn't have any clue how to build a team and draft! If you can be that ignorant and still get hired into a football organization, I'm coming out of retirement and grabbing some of that easy money.

dmw and REVISion like this.