The Reason Douglas Might Not Go OT In The First Round

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 31, 2020.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I know fans here wouldn't like it, but I would absolutely give a 4th round pick for Trent Williams so we can grab Lamb or Jeudy. Not sure if Kurt would make that trade.

2. If i was certain the top 4 were day 1 starters at left tackle we wouldnt be having this debate.im simply not sold on any of them to that extent. Its more about the players in question than OL vs WR.

Douglas has set things up w this OL rebuild to be all about competition.Frankly id rather address WR early & then load up on OL on day 2..perhaps all 3 picks.Its just a healthier stream than taking a risky OL on day 1 & him being already pencilled in as a starter when they may not even be ready just the same as Tier 2. Parcells was a big believer in competition at OL & let the cream rise to the top.See Fabini,thomas,kerry Jenkins.Chris ballard proved it to work just the same minus Quinton Nelson.Buffalo proved it last yr.Im not sure WR works that same way.

Lamb
    Jeudy
    Riggs
    Ayiuk
    Reagor
    Shenault
    Hamler
    Pittman
    Davis
    Golden-Gandy
    Higgins

3. He likes WRs who can separate at all areas of the field including on pivot routes & in the short areas. There werent alot of deep routes bc other than Robby no one could get deep or separate for that matter as well as the fact that the OL couldnt block long enough for alot of deep shots.

Jeudy fits what he likes perfectly & even Lamb could be justified bc he does run routes very well & fits Sam’s ability to throw into tight windows

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Not high on Mims? I saw this video and became a believer.
    And I see Jefferson's not on your list either.

As for the OL, I'm all for competition. I'm just not sold that a Fant Winters McGovern Lewis Edoga configuration can be counted on to be a competent unit. We need another OT and OG/C to push Edoga, Winters, and Lewis.

Unless there's an unexpected run on WR's in round 1, we can get a good one in round 2. If Douglas takes a WR in round 1 and goes OL on day 2/3, I'd be ok with it.

Finally, I love having these conversations. We might not always agree, but that's what makes them so great.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I tend to forget about Jefferson / Mims sometimes because I know they will go in the first / early 2nd with no shot of us getting them. They are in my top 5 receiver prospects this draft.

Bryan Edwards thread:

Tyler Johnson:

Darnold needs that receiver with a large catch radius but also some technicians that can win and make plays in the intermediate parts of the field.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Honestly forgot to include Jackson hed be right behind Ayiuk for me.Mims i havent seen alot of other than the combine where i thought he was very smooth.

OL has gotta be further addressed in the draft.Theres absolutely no doubt about that. I just prefer a quantity over quality approach in this scenario mainly bc im not thrilled w those top 4 esp as day one blindside OTs in a wide split style alignment.

i think we either A.Draft an OT 1st & take a quantity approach at WR or B.The opposite.The optics at play have me in the B category

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There are a number of WRs I love in this draft. If Douglas fails to get any one of them, then it's a fail imo. Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins, Mims, Shenault, Pittman Jr., Claypoole, Edwards, and Van Jefferson. Fuck any receiver 5'11 and shorter,
    and I don't like Brandon Aiyuk.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Personally I think the argument about stud OL versus stud WR for the pick at 11 is a wonderful problem for us to have. We need both positions desperately. I trust JD has evaluated the top 4 OL/ 2 WR in depth and according to many draft experts, including Daniel Jeremiah which I respect greatly, JD probably has no more than 2-3 OL rated ahead of the 2 top WRs. So depending how the draft goes one of the 5 should fall to us. All 5 have a great chance of becoming elite in their particular position. The fact that 2 have played RT only IMO should no longer be considered a major negative and a lower position not meritorious of a first round pick. For one thing the RT is now worth its weight in gold for the run and the pass, also Wills for example, while a monster RT, played the blind side on every snap as TUA is left handed. So the transition to left is not huge if we need him there.
    The pass rush is just at fierce in today’s NFL from the left as from the right, and all the great ones like Von Miller, the Bosa brothers and the like line up on both sides. You need a RT that can play all downs and excel just as much as a left tackle.
    Right now I believe with the first two picks JD strategy is a great one.. let the board dictate top value left at 11. either OL, then WR in the second, or WR and then OL in the second. I find this to be nothing but a great opportunity. JD will not reach for either position at 11. The problem becomes if all 5 top choices are gone at 11. That is where the great GMs stand above the rest by selecting a gem or trading down if possible.

#48 LAJet, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .Whoa.