The Reason Douglas Might Not Go OT In The First Round

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 31, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I differ a little. I don't think that any of them will be a bust, if one is, I agree that it will be Becton. I don't think he will bust, however, I think that at a mininmum he will be a decent starter due to his size, strength and athleticism alone. Becton's size and potential and being compared to Bryant McKinney is exciting to think about. The thing is that Becton isn't that experienced, got by in college basically because he was bigger and stronger than the defensive players he faced and the level of competition he faced was not that great in the ACC. Becton reminds me of Kenrick Ellis. Granted, Ellis played at a much lower level of competition than Becton, but still, both were huge physical specimens that were bigger and stronger than the players they faced. Ellis completely dominated his level of competition, then got to the NFL and did little. He wasn't as athletic as Becton perhaps, but I get the feeling that Ellis thought he could get by in the NFL the same way he did in college, and never really worked to learn/refine his technique and be as good as he can be. I could be wrong about that, but that's what scares me about Becton. He could be great, or he could just get by.

Pro Bowls - Thomas and Wirfs
    Solid Starter - Wills
    Disappointment - Becton

I think with all 4 how well they do will depend upon which team drafts them, the scheme fit, the ability of their OL coach, and the attitude of each player, i.e., how hungry they are to be the best they can be, how much they love the game.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Give me one of those 4 OTs, because I think one of them will be available. Then Bryan Edwards / Tyler Johnson / Pittman Jr, and I will be thrived.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  3. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'm in your camp with this--because I believe there are four quality OT prospects in this draft.

I think worst case scenario for each of the big four (Becton, Wirfs, Wills and Becton) is a quality RT rather than the cornerstone LT. That still fills a need for us!

We can still grab a weapon in the 2nd at WR--love Pittman!

Then perhaps in the 3rd we can get a quality RB that falls/ or pass rusher candidate. I would even hit Oline again.

4. 101GangGreen101

Fills a huge need. We can grab 2 or 3 receivers in this draft, it's such a deep draft, it's the perfect opportunity. I would love to get at least 2 receivers with different skillsets.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm so torn on this.

I really want a stud WR for once though!

boozer32 likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Pittman in round 2, Johnson in round 3.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Maybe the sarcasm went over my head but none of those guys were drafted in the 1st.

8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Not one of those WRs was drafted in the first round LOL.

9. 101GangGreen101

Lol someone got the joke. I think.

10. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Yeahhhh I got it, maybe my sense of humor is down from the quarantine.

I've never been big on tying people down to where they were drafted, every draft is different and every player is different. However, with this WR class it's possible every round might produce a guy of that caliber. Great year to need talent.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't think all 4 OT will be a stud but if one or two of them do bust I guaranteed you the Jets will pick that one. Just decades of having that dark cloud over this franchise makes that a reality.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It was more like Darnold found him. He had no idea that Sam would be there at #3. I'd love to know who he was counting on getting with that pick because it wasn't Darnold.

13. Other than AB & Michael Thomas which one of those guys is an actual #1 caliber playmaker?! Good players? Yes.

Jets need a high end LT like Larry Allen,Mike Roos,Terron Armstead, Cordy Glenn,Matt Light,Carl Nicks,Rob Havenstein, & roger Saffold & everyone knows those guys can only be found in Round 1.

My point isnt to push a WR agenda;If Douglas or anyone else like one of the 4 OTs they should take him.But im so tired of this “we can find a WR later” sentiment but refuse to acknowledge that OL can just as easily be found in later rounds.

I havent seen a single Jets fan who loves a specific OL prospect at the top of this draft for their actual skillset who can counter their obvious eval specifiv risk factors..not one.It isnt about the evaluation.Its all about the novelty of taking an OL in round 1 based on perceived positional value & fear of Darnold getting injured rather than conviction for any of these OTs.

2/4 guys we’re banking on being LTs after spending 95% of their time at RT.”Oh he can play LT too”.Maybe that wishful thinking is good enough to appease an OL hungry crowd.Me personally? Go back to school for another yr & put it on tape! This is left tackle in the NFL not High school to Division 2 college ball.

Theres a good chance all 4 of these OTs end up at RT & not blindside. Again if thats the route people wanna go so be it.But lets stop pretending that OL is this foolproof endeavor.

Also can we acknowledge how many times “waiting till later” for a WR has burnt this team over the last 15 yrs? I get we have a new GM but can we at least validate that for all the talk of this being true its failed the Jets Miserably. Its a strong WR class? Great.So was 2014.Howd that work out by waiting till round 3?

14. CotcheryFan

Great to see you here. I'm all for taking an OT, but you're right, there is no blue chip prospect who is a lock to protect Sam's blindside. I think a good WR can be had in round 2. We'll see what happens in 2 weeks. Until then, it's fun to speculate what the FO's plan is and how they'll grade the prospects.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

Keenan Allen is one of the smoothest route runners in the league. I consider him a #1 receiver.
    Tyreek Hill isn't out there making game changing plays?
    Kenny Golladay - Extremely productive no matter who is throwing him the ball (3rd round).

Receiving pool is talented and deep, I can't say the same for the offensive tackles in this draft. You will find playmakers from rounds 2 through 4. NFL has an offensive line problem, and the Jets cannot afford to go into next season without a substantial increase in talent / youth on the offensive line. In terms of wideouts, you come away with a Tyler Johnson, and a Bryan Edwards, a Pittman Jr you will leave with starters that will contribute - perhaps you find your Golladay and your Keenan Allens. Darnold doesn't need a Julio Jones to be a great QB (in this case no receiver in this class matches up to Julio, or even Amari Cooper) he needs reliable weapons with different skill-sets and strong IQs add that with an offensive line that can protect him and allow him to extend the play.

Thomas, Wirfs, Becton can play LT. I question Wills, but even so having a good RT is very important in the NFL today as well (ala Lane Johnson). People are sleeping on Andrew Thomas, perhaps tape fatigue is getting to them, because the guy is a stud. He's not Joe Thomas, but he could be a Brick type player. That's what we need stability. It's not about getting the most talented guy.

Worrying about busts for OL in the first round when the chances for a WR bust in the first round is just as high.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Hey Kurt! Great to see you again! You just can't stay away!:p

If what you're saying is that no one here as demonstrably proven that one or more of the 4 top OTs is a better bet than one of the top WRs, I agree. Personally I don't have enough knowledge to do such an analysis and come to such a firm conclusion. As an armchair talent evaluator, and long time observer of the Jets and pro football, from my experience it seems much harder to find really OTs the deeper into the draft you go. Maybe that's just my sense of it, and not supported by facts.

But the other issue that comes into play is the still resonating anger over Idzik and Maccagnan not addressing this at all, and because we haven't yet seen any of Douglas's drafting, the lack of faith that he can find OT gold after the 1st round. I admit that's not scientific or even logical, but it's real nonetheless.

I DO think Douglas is a MUCH better evaluator of NFL-level talent,m and that he has a blueprint, so for now I'm trusting that he'll do a good job regardless of who he takes first. And if he takes one of the top WRs, I won't cry because that's a screaming need as well. I also believe - based on nothing more than his resume - that he won't reach and take a player just because we have a need at that spot. If one of the top 4 OTs, or whichever one is there at 11, isn't what he's looking for, he'll pass and take the next best player in the next position of need.

Anyway, I hope to see more of your posts, I always get something from them!

CotcheryFan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. yes..we’re back to striving for lesser WRs to justify going OL or defense instead. Do you see the flaw in that?

i can do the same thing;All we need is OL who can block.

and nothing about how none of these OTs are sure things? I happen to like the second tier of OL quite a bit.Wilson,Pearl,Niang, Cleveland & Jackson all have potential to develop into quality OL..perhaps even sooner than projected.

nothing about how many times waiting till later to address WR has burnt us? What if i throw in the success the Jets have had drafting mid round OL.

Jason Fabini
    Ryan Young
    Kareem Mckenzie
    Matt O’dwyer
    Randy Thomas
    David Loverne
    JP Machado
    Adrian Jones
    Matt Slauson

compared to

Windrell Hayes
    Harry Williams JR
    Marcus Henry
    Stephen Hill
    Jordan White
    Scotty Mcknight
    Charone Peake
    Devin Smith
    Shaq Evans
    Jalen Saunders
    Ardarius Stewart
    Chad Hanson

Jeremy Kerley was nearly 10 yrs ago.Quincy is worth mentioning but i wouldnt call him a true WR but rather a hybrid

Perhaps the Top WRs arent Julio/Cooper level but they sure as heck are better/safer prospects than Wills,Wirfs,Thomas & Becton.

i love ya 101 but we’re simply not gonna agree about this..i know im in the minority but i feel strongly about this. You wanna take OL,fine.Do it for the right reasons. And dont act like we arent risking having the worst WR corps in the NFL yet again by utilizing a philosophy that has failed the team repeatedly.2014 wasnt that long ago.History tends to repeat itself w the Jets.Howd you like Shaq Evans & jalen Saunders?

#37 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2020
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

I will always be on the side of having stability on the offensive line with average to above average weapons. I feel Sam doesn't need all pro type weapons to be the guy we want him to be. I think after the 2nd round, there are just too many unknown prospects out there at tackle. I want lineman that showed consistency on tape, and have that aggressive motor to not take shit from the defense. Austin Jackson, all athleticism, doesn't have the toughness I want in a lineman, spent a lot of time on the ground. You don't think Wilson and Niang are going in the 2nd round? I don't see them falling very far. Who else is there to provide that stability at the tackle position? Some have mocked Jackson to the first round too. I know in the past waiting has burned the Jets, but there are some studs that will be dropping in this draft. The deepest draft since 2014, gotta take advantage. We took the wrong WRs in 2014

It's absolutely OK to have disagreements in regards to building this team, I will always respect your educated assessment brother.

19. CotcheryFan

The big issue I have with not going OT in round 1(assuming one of the top 4 is available) is that the tier 2 OT's will likely not be ready to play right away. I'm not sure I want Sam to have Fant and Edoga being the OT's blocking for him in a crucial 3rd year. I wouldn't mind going with Thomas in round 1, Pittman in round 2, and Johnson in round 3. Then go BPA OL/RB/CB/Edge the rest of the way.

Bottom line for me is that our OL has been neglected for so long that it has to be addressed now if we don't want Sam to end up running for his life every other play. It can be done in addition to getting a WR or two. I'm with 101 that we don't need an elite OT to protect Sam's blindside. Brick 2.0 will do just fine.

BTW, what's your rankings of the WR's in this class?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

The other aspect that I didn't mention is, even if we draft the best WR, will Gase and his offense take advantage of that? And while there will some here who shout "There he goes again, bashing Gase!", to me it's a valid concern. What I saw from Gase wasn't an offense that looks to use WRs to stretch the field...he seems to like guys who can catch a short pass and make lots of YAC. IDK, maybe these WRs coming out will be a good fit in that offense, but I have my doubts.