The real question - WTF was with Mangini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Dec 16, 2007.

1. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Chad was the only chance we had to win and is by far the best QB on the team.

2. ab3

ab3 Banned

Rooting???

The same way I had no faith in the indians beating the yankees,, the colts will have no chance in foxboro after what I saw manning do with the raiders yesterday,,,, patriots will win super bowl,,, can't get any worse...

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I dont know if you are right or wrong but if you are right all that means is we are in some serious trouble at the QB position and should give a serious look to the top QBs coming out in the draft.

4. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I'm not going to continue to argue this point, because it is obvious that neither of us are budging.... All you keep doing is saying that the negatives about Mangini 'need time' and I don't buy into that.... For comparison's sake, here is the pre-Mangini depth chart to compare to the team he has molded in 2 offseasons...

starter

QB-

Pennington
    Fiedler
    Bollinger

RB-

Blaylock
    Houston
    (C. Martin unofficially retired, starter unsure)

FB-

Sowell
    Askew

WR-

Coles
    McCareins
    Cotchery
    (Chrebet done)

TE-

Baker
    Jolley
    Dreesen
    Dearth

LT-

Jones

LG-

Kendall

C-

Mawae

RG-

Moore

RT-

Fabini

DE-

Ellis
    Abraham
    Thomas
    T.Johnson

DT-

Robertson
    Legree
    Reed
    Pouha

LB-

Vilma
    Barton
    Hobson

S-

Rhodes
    Coleman
    Washington
    Maddox

CB-

Law
    Barrett
    Miller
    Strait

Where have we clearly improved since then?

RB, LT, CB, and that looks like it's about it....

We also have the progression of Cotchery, Rhodes, and Moore... If you give Mangini credit for those three (and a pass for the QB situation), he's improved 6 out of 22 starting positions since 2005 (while replacing 15 of the previous starters)....

Where have we clearly regressed?

FB (do we even have one now? A product of coaching, as our lack of variety in our offensive playbook, rarely calls for a power formation outside of the RZ. Would certainly help with our OL.) But since we don't use a FB, I won't count it towards his total....

LG, RT, DE, S (not Rhodes, the second S spot, as, if you're going to give Mangini credit for the rise of Cotchery, Rhodes and Moore, you must discredit him for the fall/benching of Coleman)

So roster wise, we're looking at 6 improved positions, all but one being skill-position players.... And 4 positions that are clearly worse off, 3 of which are line positions....

This is also disregarding the fact that he minimized the effectiveness of (arguably in 2005) two of our best defensive players, Vilma and Robertson, with the scheme switch, only finding an adequate 3-4 replacement for one of them (Harris for Vilma) to try to hold the status quo....

That is, in a nutshell (and rightfully giving most of the STs credit to Westoff), his body of work personell wise, in 2 seasons and off seasons as the HC here....

I'm not saying he couldn't improve (and I'm on the record as saying I don't want him replaced unless we have an adequate, proven replacement lined up) but this is why I'm so skeptical of his 'rebuilding' job to this point... Mediocre at best....

I understand this is nothing definitive, and a lot of opinion, but that's what this is all about... Evaluating him using out own observations. If opinion weren't involved, it wouldn't be a debate... But nevertheless, this is the way I see it, and I'm not impressed, at all....

5. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

Congratulations on officially becoming the gayest member of the message board

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Brad motherFing Smith? Mangini sucks. Sucks.

Mangina is more like it.

7. jetglass

jetglass New Member

Face it, Mangini is a bad coach. Yes, he inherited a bad oline and-line,but how does he justify not fixing it considering they were pretty bad last year as well? Oh right, he signed michael haynes and andre wadsworth! What about coaching deicisions that have cost us games, especially in the last 2? Or he gets a free pass this year b/c of last year so he is free to make every screwup the rest of the year?

8. ShadeTree#55

The weather and Chad kept us in the game. WTF were you watching?

9. petekendall

petekendall New Member

MANgina is a moron..some of the plays he called yesterday made me think he was smoking crack....GET RID OF HIM NOW...We have been in every game this year in the first half..we have been outscoreed by 100+ points in the second half this year..We are getting outcoached...he makes no half time adjustments..oh yeah and lets get rid of our leader and mentor on the O-line and replace him with that peace of shittt Clarke...what a joke...love those brad smith plays ..after a dozen failed option attempts lets keep him in there on 4 and 2 instead of going for the three points...fkn retard...

#109 petekendall, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The option play one time was cute and worked pretty well. The series of option offense and continued use of it really had me flipping out. This isn't division one football!

Please don't use this horse shit next week.

11. Attackett

Not to burst anyones bubble but the ONLY succesful offensive play yesterday came out of the option offense..

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Like I said it was cute and worked well ONCE. Continuing to run that horse shit was a joke and an embarrassment. I don't know what was more embarrassing, the Jets trying to run option offense, or the Dolphins victory celebration.

13. Attackett

We would have had a better chance to win the game if we played the option O all game than the O we tried to run the rest of the game.

14. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Yes and that's the only play Smith can execute. He is a poor Man's version of Michel Vick. He is not a NFL QB nor will he be. He isn't a NFL reciever either. What is he? He's certainly no Ray Lucas what he is a mediocre talented athlete. The Jets are in deep trouble and the Tangini team is in way over their heads.

15. ShadeTree#55

You mean the O that got us a TD that butter fingers dropped? Really?

16. Attackett

Silly me for forgetting about that high powered O we were running yesterday..

17. ShadeTree#55

The top CBS team noticed it.

18. petekendall

petekendall New Member

yeah cause brady looked great yesterday.. against the wind we had a sure TD...oh and lets not forget our powerhouse running game! This team sucks with Mangini steering the ship .. face it... that game was ours for the taking minus some mistakes by players and the countless bonehead plays orchestrated my mangenius.

19. petekendall

petekendall New Member

14-27 140 int 25-38 186
    guess the QB

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

If they had run that a couple of times in a row it wasn't so bad. What I can't figure out is how they didn't after a couple of runs at it then switch to having him run it, fake and throw the ball downfield. I think it would have worked to bait them into Brad Smith is going to run the ball. He never throws it. Can he be that bad chucking the ball??