The playcalling on that final drive ended our season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by allan1, Jan 8, 2011.

1. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

perhaps this thread was a little premature BUT that call was horrific and had we lost schotty would be as fired as anna nicole smith's dietician

2. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Actually the call was made by Sanchez. As Rex stated

[YOUTUBE]L2_f_kn-uJo[/YOUTUBE]

This thread = :rofl:

3. DavidVeloz418

DavidVeloz418 New Member

Oh my god, what a thread!!!!

:rofl:

4. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

So you're saying you were pumped up after Sanchez overthrew Edwards on a long pass on 3rd&5?

I can understand being mad at posters being all mad and bitchy during the middle of a game, but with 2 minutes left and giving the ball back to Manning in his house after a pathetic play call, there isn't any reason to be pumped up.

Actually the reason I was furious and expecting the worst was because I was thinking we were winning this game from the start of it and then that shit started to unfold at the end and made me crazy.

Everyone was shitting their pants, especially when it came down to Folk.

5. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Outstanding sir, simply outstanding!

6. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I still stand by that thread.

Its not like it never crossed Rex's mind. Rex admitted to considering benching Sanchez during the regular season. I never would have considered benching Sanchez in that situation during the regular season, but this is the playoffs. One loss and we're done. Franchise QB or not up until that final drive Sanchez was playing absolutely horribly. It wasn't Sanchez that saved the game at the end so much as it was Cromartie and Folk and the Colts TO.

You must admit Sanchez CANNOT play anywhere near that level against the Pats and expect to win.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Sanchez was 9 for 11 in the second half and a big part of why our offense dominated the half leaving Manning only 2 possessions.

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing on that one.

9. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Claiming a game is over, before it is, = dumb.

That bomb on 3rd and 5 is a fire-able offense, if they lose the game.

If the Colts got that 3rd down conversion, prior to their field goal, Jets lose.

There is NO FKNG way in hell you can go with such a low percentage play in that spot.

One of the most horrific playcalls I have ever seen, whoever made it.

They were hitting Keller over the middle for 5-10 yards at FKNG will!

Quick slant.

ANYTHING but a very low percentage bomb in that spot.

Horrible, horrible playcall.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I didn't like the call but it was wide open. If Nacho puts a little more air under it the game is over right there.

11. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Yeah, the playcalling on that final drive -- defensive playcalling -- did kill our season.

12. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Schittenheimer Must Go

I'm definitely in the camp that says Schotty must go. In fact, I think the best move the Jets could make that would do more than anything else to help this club would be to fire Schottenheimer.

He has had some good games, but has had too many bad games where the offense was awful. The longer he has to prepare, the worse he does. He's even admitted that he gets too cute and outsmarts himself, but still hasn't learned.

There are certain pass routes the Jets don't/won't run and opposing defenses know it. His use of Brad Smith in the Wildcat is too predictable...Brad almost always keeps the ball and runs right. He has only thrown 1 pass in 3 years from that set. Schotty is entirely too predictable to opposing Ds, yet is all over the map with the Jets' players and doesn't take full advantage of the talent he now has on hand to work with. What is the offense's persona? Supposedly, they are a "Ground and Pound" offense, yet in only one game did one of their backs have a 100 yard game, and when they wanted/need to run in big games, they often couldn't, at least not like last year. Shonn Greene was supposedly going to be their starter, yet often got few touches, especially in key situations, even when his YPR average was much higher than LT's. Keller started off the year great, but once Holmes was worked into the offense, Keller became a forgotten man for long stretches of time.

He has plays that never work, yet keeps calling them. I saw a statistic on how many times he has tried an end around with Cotchery this year and it lost yardage every single time, yet there he was calling it during the first half vs. Pittsburgh. Holmes is the guy to run a reverse with, not Cotchery.

How many times did the Jets score on their opening drive this year? once? twice? At all? Too many games the offense has been nonexistent in the first half and then they had to make a comeback in the 2nd half or in overtime. With all the weapons at his disposal, that is inexcusable.

Have we ever seen him come up with a brilliant game plan taking advantage of opponents' weaknesses or make an in game adjustment doing that? Have you ever felt that he really outcoached the opposing DC? I haven't.

How any times have we seen them barely get the play off, get called for a delay of game or had to burn a timeout because he couldn't get a play into Sanchez?

I don't think he's done a particularly good job in developing Sanchez, either. Sanchez has definitely improved, but still has though puzzling stretches where he seemingly sulks. His accuracy is still below average for an NFL QB.

As one of the "experts" on the NFL network said recently, "Coordinators either have a knack for calling the right play at the right time or they don't." I totally agree with that sentiment, and it is glaringly apparent to me that Schotty doesn't have that knack, at least not on a consistent basis. He is pedestrian at best. With the talent the Jets had on offense this year, it was inexcusable for them to ever get shut down.

Finally, there are the consistently stupid penalties (illegal formation, illegal procedure) that offensive players make that have killed drives and contributed to losses.

I love LT, but at this stage in his career, he should be the change of pace back, not the starter, yet as long as Schittenheimer is here, LT will always start and get more carries than Greene or the other Jets backs.