The plan for Sam Darnold moving forward...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Apr 26, 2018.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no shame in sitting Darnold for a significant portion of the season. Let him learn, evaluate the oline to see if they can pass block, and let him build a rapport with the Jets receivers. That does not come quickly.

He will play at some point. The only way he plays week 1 is if he dominates the preseason.

I REALLY hope the Jets pick up an Olineman in the 3rd and maybe even the 4th too.

FJF, xxedge72x and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Bridgewater is not likely to make the roster. McCown will be the starter, with Hack and Darnold battling for the back up spot

legler82 and Footballgod214 like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’m absolutely in agreement. I’m just not sure we should be afraid of the confidence thing.

Reps are reps. If the opportunity presents itself, I wouldn’t be against him seeing the field.

Though, I’ve been on record stating I do not believe Darnold will be an impact player in 2018. I sure as heck hope I’m wrong, I hope he pulls a Jimmy G and wins a bunch of games.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't care if he plays a handful of offensive snaps at the end of games, but he should not be starting next year for any reason. However, and this is the important thing because it will make it harder for the team to win games and the coaching staff will hate it, Darnold needs to take half the practice snaps with the first team. Period. The goal this year is to make him capable of starting games in 2019. Nothing else is important. If that means Bridgewater or Petty (or whoever else is the #2) never gets to practice ... then, oh well.

Noam likes this.
  5. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I think limited action is fine as long as the OL isn't in complete shambles. Probably just redshirting is the right move though.

6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

He'll go in when he is ready. That's why we have Josh.

Organization has gone all in on darnold. He'll get his reps and will not be hiding in the shadows like our previous qbs.

Wether it's week 1 this year, next year or week 9 this year.

When he's ready

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I get it but experience is crucial and starting him will give him that confidence as well.

He should absolutely play IF he is the best QB at the end of the preseason.

If you don't play him, the narrative will immediately migrate to the Hackenburg narrative.

He's not good enough to play? He must suck? Another pick wasted and all those assets that were used, etc....

I honestly don't think Mac and Bowles can afford to wait on their shiny new toy either, they need results and they will need them to assure that they did make that right moves this offseason to save their jobs moving forward.

Maybe they would be granted a redshirt year without repercussion but I find it hard to believe that.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think you let it play out on the practice field ...if Darnold looks ready you give him the keys and let him drive.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I love the part of firing Bowles and bringing in a real HC, but there is a real good chance Bridgewater will be cut. He barely passed his physical and we were the only team offering him a real deal. I see nothing wrong with redshirting Darnold, but if we do McCown in the guy.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What this pick does is force the Jets to pay serious attention to QB development and a OLine upgrade. No more lip service, no more BPA-D in these final rounds as the FO and perhaps even Bowles realizes that its about both protecting their new investment AND developing him. That means Macc now has to draft OL. I wouldn't be against taking a flyer on a defensive player (as long as he isn't a safety) later on. This also should be the end of the road for both Hack and Petty with the Jets as 5 QB's are really 3 QB's heavy.

RPOZ51, FJF and stinkyB like this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am not against him sitting out and learn but game experience is valuable. I rather see him start the last 4-5 games at least. This will give him a taste of NFL football and provide him good film to study his weaknesses in the off season. You don’t want to start 2019 season with Sam having zero game experience.

Jets81, RPOZ51 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It is simple. Play him as soon as he has shown enough competence to handle starting. They have enough options that he doesn't NEED to start immediately, but once he is ready, there is no reason to keep him on the bench short of Bridgewater having a miracle season (based on reporting yesterday it doesn't sound like he'll make it through the preseason).

MeanGreenMachine88, NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I doubt Bridgewater plays at all. Apparently the knee is still rickety

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The plan should be "patience".

FJF and stinkyB like this.
  15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

If he's ready and the play-out of our season calls for it, sure. If not, I don't think I have ANY gripes whatsoever with letting him, a 20 year old, sit and soak in the NFL lifestyle.

FJF likes this.
  16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

McCown seems like a nice guy. But I have some qualms about letting a guy whose primary experience in the league has been losing every Sunday to coach my blue chip draftee. Maybe they can talk about footwork. But for the rest? Brrrrr.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Let him sit this year and use FA and the draft next year to build an offense around him. Similar to what the Bears did in year two of Trubisky in signing players.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

He's not transferring winning or losing to him. McCown will help teach Darnold, from the point of view of a player rather than a coach, how to prepare for games and study film, how to develop efficiencies that enable him to do things more professionally, what pit falls he has seen that have led to the down fall of other QBs, how to handle various tough situations, etc. This is extremely valuable wisdom, particularly for a player on the younger and less experienced side. It helps accelerate his learning curve.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If anyone thinks Sam Darnold is sitting out his rookie year then they're in for a big surprise. Should Darnold blow the coaches away in training camp and preseason he will be the day one starter. Sam Darnold is special. There is no Alex Smith or Case Keenum type player in front of him. Josh is here to coach/mentor, not start. As for Bridgewater, he's fighting for a roster spot with Hackenberg... If he can't play he'll be released.

#39 playtowinthegame, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Pretty simple. He starts when he proves he is the best QB on the roster.

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.