The pieces are in place: Matt Leinart? Good move or bad? - Merged X2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sanchizeqb, Mar 21, 2006.

1. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

You are comparing two different GM's and one that has yet to even go through the draft experience.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

What he said after the game is blown out of perportion a bit...all he said was, was that he felt the better team lost...

3. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

Penny, I'm not anti-Leinart.

At 4, I'd be screaming for Matt.

If we traded pick 29, I'd be pissed, b/c picks 4 & 29/JAbe would be an awful return on value. Awful

4. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

I forgot to mention....I'm really anti-Matt today b/c it seems to me they are setting the stage to go for him, picks 4, 29, & 4th rd for Matt. I would be depressed if they did that.

5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And who is to say that they would even accept the deal

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I get it and it's two first round picks for Lienart. Or if you want to look at it a little differently how about we traded Mario Williams and John Aberaham or D'Brick and Aberaham or Cutler and Aberaham or Vince Young and Aberaham.

It's a ton to give up unless the guy has it all.

7. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

Agreed, it was over-blown. But it made me think he could melt like butter on a summer day in front of NY media.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Leinart becomes the QB he is capable of becoming trading the 29 pick in a draft would be a steal of all steals. You take those kind of chances when the upside is so high..

9. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

They would accept that b/c they want Mario Williams anyway. They'll either take him at 2, or take him at 4 and gain Nick Mangold to replace Bentley.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

With huge holes in the OL, I don't see the Jets drafting a QB with their first three picks.

The restructuring of Pennington's contract and the Ramsey signing make drafting a QB unlikely. Moving up two spots and giving up the #29 would be an absolute disaster.

This team needs a RT, LT and C. I would prefer that we build the line before worrying about ANOTHER young QB or some RB. Draft Ferguson and Mangold.

As for Mario Williams, it makes no sense to draft him when you had a proven version of him on the team already. You don't trade away a pro bowl DE for the 29th pick and then take an unproven pass rusher at #4. Besides, if Abraham was traded because he didn't fit the defense, then Williams doesn't fit it either. If the Jets are going to the 3-4, then draft Hawk if Ferguson is not the pick.

I will be very disappointed if the Jets trade up for Leinart. Besides giving away a much needed first round pick to move up two lousy spots, I am just not sold on a QB whose resume was built by the incredible talent that surrounded him. Put him in the NFL where he doesn't have the best OL, best RB, and best WR corps in the league and he becomes ordinary. Can anybody say Ken Dorsey???

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

NO QB - PLEASE DO NOT DRAFT A QB!!! such a ddep draft pick some playerSSS that help the team

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Who else is offering them a first round pick this year and they can STILL get a top 5 player?

13. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

Wrong, 2 different sized players. Super Mario is 6-7 295. That's 3-4 DE size. Abe was a stretch at 260. Not 3-4 DE size.

Apples and oranges.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Mario Williams is not John Aberaham. Williams is 6'7" and 295 pounds. He is much bigger than Abe. He is a run stopping beast and a pass rusher. He is going to play over 300 pounds in the NFL and would be a terrific player in either the 3/4 or 4/3. He fits better than Abe with what Mangini is comfortable with. I still think if we don't take a QB we take Hawk.

15. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

i can see Hawk being drafted to help Vilma in the 3/4 -- we still need a truye NT or we can't run it

16. www.mikefrancesa.com

I know you don't draft based on this logic but what will the fans be saying if 5 years down the road Leinart is a top 3 QB in the league.

I'm tired of hearing about Mangold or whatever his name is, you can't predict who is going to be available at 29. No way I would waste a 4 pick on an OT, I don't care how good he supposedly is, offensive lines can be remade in all kinds of ways. With a top 10 pick I want skill positions.

I don't buy the A.J. Hawk hype but of course I haven't watched enough games, I'm not a college fan. As a Jets fan I'm tired of linebackers. We have 1 QB and his name is Ramsey, we certainly don't have 3 QB's as one poster suggested. Our most glaring need is QB.

I remember when Chad was healthy most fans thought he sucked, now off another operation you are going to count him as a QB. He will be holding the clipboard for the rest of his Jet career, not to mention the fact that the New England coaches didn't even think he was good when healthy.

So it comes down to the ratings, who is higher on the Jets board, Leinart or Cutler, and remember if the Raiders trade to 2 and take Leinart, it is very possible that the Titans take Cutler and then you are left with no QB.

We are Jets fans, we know the history, how many of you in the back of your mind fear that if we pass on Leinart he becomes the next Montana (perhaps a bad comparison as a Jets fan but you get my drift). Also I think Leinart has come from a system that has groomed him to step right into an NFL starting slot.

I'd rather give up a 2nd and 3rd round selection and keep the 29th pick to trade up to 2. I wish the draft was next week.

17. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

I'm done for tonight - it's been a pleasure butting heads with you pro-Leinart at pick 2 guys....especially Penny.

#77 BroadwayMike, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2005
  18. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do you realized the date on the calendar? Most of these moves don't even get in the works until it gets close to the draft, and plus with the idea of giving up a potential franchise QB they are going to want more for the pick

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Williams might not even be available when we pick. If NO keeps the pick, he is the pick IMO. If they don't, its probably gonna be the Jets moving up for Leinart.

20. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

That would be a horrible trade.
    I still want Ferguson.