The pieces are in place: Matt Leinart? Good move or bad? - Merged X2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sanchizeqb, Mar 21, 2006.

1. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

In all honesty, you are right Penny. Those numbers looked god. But I've watched the game twice. He ducked the ball in the wind...then Bush took off like a madman, almost 200 yards in the 1st half. Defense got stretched, and he chippied his way to 3 TD's.

He's NOT Palmer. Palmer is a physical beast. Leinart is a fairy armed product of the USC system. His arm reminds me of....Jason White (Oklahoma).

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Brooks Bollinger would be cut buddy...

3. PennyandtheJets

I don't respect posts like this because you aren't...

-Backing it up...

-Aren't offering a different POSSIBLE scenario

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok but you still didn't addressed the rest of my post

5. PennyandtheJets

You are still missing my point...

I am simply saying you can't judge a QB by looking at his arm strength.

Broadway Mike completely has written off Matt Leinart because he doesn't have a cannon...

My point was to show him that its not going to make a QB great...

6. Nick the NARP

Nick the NARP Member

I just somehow wish we could land Reggie Bush

7. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Leinart to me is a good player on a great team. I see nothing worth taking him at #4, let alone moving up to #2.

8. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Or he could have been thinking if I give the 3rd and 4th up and then trade our two first rounders for Leinart then thats 4 picks for 1 guy. Now he is giving up two instead and still has the 3rd and 4th rounder.

9. PennyandtheJets

Fariy Arm? Man you REALLY need to watch some clips of this guy...

http://www.trojanfb.com/usc_gladiator_wmv.php

http://zango.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XQY11IMRMI251UZ8JCM8K1TD5

http://zango.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1SQZIB1337GQW10NOM6QLU4NZQ

In that first clip he took some big hits and still hit his guys in stride...and the zip on his passes is certainly much better than what you hear...

10. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

I really hope we don't trade-up. I feel that the #4 and #29 are too much to move up 2 spots. If we are going to draft a QB, i am sure Cutler would be our guy at 4.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

All aboard the Leinart bandwagon. I've been on since about October. I think its time to break out the Leinart Av. He is absolutely the perfect move for this franchise and if it takes the 29 pick in the draft to get him then so be it.
    All aboard..

12. PennyandtheJets

We kept Chad to compete for thse starting job along with Pat Ramsey...

No QB we draft will start day one...

13. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

OK Penny - I'll oblige.

No Leinart (unless he's there at 4 - I'd take him at 4, but would not trade to pick 2).

No Cutler.

Instead sit at 4 and answer the phone. Either Oakland or Minnesota or some other time may feel the need to come and mortgage their future for Cutler or Young.

I think picks 1-3 will be Bush, Mario Williams, Leinart.

At 4 I'd take D'brick or AJ Hawk.

At 29 Mangold (if we took AJ) or Bobby Carpented (if we took D'brick)

At 35 Manny Lawson, Leonard Pope or Mercedes Lewis, (if Baker is not back)Joseph Addai (essentially BPA)

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Leinart's poor game against UCLA was because it was his last game at the Colloseum, he got caught up in the moment, tried to do too much because he thought it had to be his day. When he did that, he got away from what makes the USC offense so effective, his mechanics were off, therefore his accuracy was as well. He calmed down for the 2nd half, though, and it was the only time in his career that I personally saw him just mentally off.

He was average against Notre Dame, but at the same time Brady Quinn was average against the SC defense. It was just a tough game, both defenses defended the pass well.

He gave Texas the business, don't know how anyone would construe that as a bad game. The same way he shredded Oklahoma last year and Michigan the year before.

15. PennyandtheJets

I will be witness to this guy...he has ALWAYS been on the Leinart bandwagon and at first I doubted the guy. I have done my research and I agree whole heartedly...

16. PennyandtheJets

I respect your strategy as well...

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I honestly can't evaluate Leinart's arm into the pro game, I haven't seen him enough. He looks like a touch passer to me and I haven't seen him really rifle the ball in very much. He could turn out to be great but if you're going to trade 2 first round picks to take him, he better have all the tools and you better be sure of his arm. That doesn't mean he wont bust or not but making that kind of move for a QB with a mediocre pro arm is a big stretch and a real concern. I'm not saying he has a mediocre arm but I'm not convinced he has a big time NFL arm either.

I'm a firm believer in taking a QB with the first pick if we rate him that high. But two first round picks the guy better be Roger Staubach not Joey Harrington.

18. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

Penny, it's not the cannon...Palmer rose above his teammates.

There wasn't a single game Leinart played on when he didn't have 3 more first day picks on his offense than the other teams defense, no one. He was a product of the system. He had tremendous playmakes and a fantastic collegiate OL.

How do you think he'll fare with Adrian Jones on his blind side, Cedrick Houston as his HB, and Justin McCareins as his posession receiver? Against a Bellichick or Saban defensive scheme.

He's also a baby. He showed no composure after the texas game.

19. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Lol, when I say the title for this topic I knew PennyandtheJets would be on this like white on rice. I'm really undecided about whether I was to trade up and get Leinart, stay put and get D'Brick/SuperMario and Mangold, or trade down from 4 to, say, the Lions' 9 and grab Vernon Davis.

I'm not sold on Cutler, but I'm not sure if I'd be disappointed with that pick either.

20. PennyandtheJets

In all reality its only one first round pick we are trading...the #29 is the pick we are losing...