The pieces are in place: Matt Leinart? Good move or bad? - Merged X2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sanchizeqb, Mar 21, 2006.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Nice post. All of our options are available to us now like you said. We can trade down, Trade up or stay put...

I think that getting #29 is huge...

We can go to #2 if we want, or we can stay put and draft a player in a very deep draft.

I don't see Matt Leinart struggling in the conditions. I have watched quite a bit of games and film on this guy...and he really suprised me with the zip he can get on his throws...

His arm strength is very underrated and certainly above average...

Matt Leinart is THE perfect fit for the New York Jets and I hope we do trade for him...

Jets Give: #4 and #29

Saints Give: #2 overall

M-A-T-T Jets! Jets! Jets!

#21 PennyandtheJets, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  2. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

NOOOOO! If you haven't figured out by now, these guys are the Patriots South. We will not be trading up, giving up draft picks, for one guy. They, if anything, will trade down. But I suspect we'll stay with our 4 and 29, pick up either Super Mario or A.J. Hawk and then at 29, get maybe a Carpenter, Mangold, or best available. We won't trade up!

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Possibly, but if they feel a QB is neccessary to build for the future (pennington's arm can't hold up, whatever.....) this would be a good year to draft one.

He'll get to ride the pine this year as he's "getting a feel" for the pro game, while having the year for the oline to gel / rebuild, then step in next season.

4. PennyandtheJets

You are dead wrong about Leinart's arm strength...that shouldn't be the only thing you are looking for in a QB...Aaron Brooks, Mike Vick, Jeff George, and Ryan Leaf all had/have rockets...how did they do?

We need a QB with more than just a rocket...Matt does not have a rocket, but if you watch him play he certainly has above average zip on his passes...

5. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

I agree, Jets' should trade down...not try to move up. Anyway, they have been making sound steady moves so far....so far, so good !!!

6. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

How did he look against Notre Dame, UCLA, and Texas this year?

Three biggest games, all well below average.

7. PennyandtheJets

Just because they are alot like the Patriots does not mean they won't pull the trigger to get a guy they fell will be a top QB for years.

#29 is a valuable pick noquestion about it, but at this point I just think Matt Leinart is too good of a fit for the Jets to pass up on...

8. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is looking more and more like we are just going to go for BPA or trade down, if we wanted Leinart then we probably wouldn't have restructured Penny and get Ramsey, and with the talks of getting Runyan it is looking less likely that we would get D'Brick either, now I don't know what Tangini plan to do with B. Thomas, but it doesn't even seem like Mario Williams would fit in the 3-4 scheme either, but I like the fact that we aren't forced to make a draft pick but instead have our choice of many to get

9. PennyandtheJets

Restructuring Chad SAVED us alot of money...if we had gotten rid of him it would have cost us MORE...

So keeping Chad around has nothing to do with the Jets draft plans because we needed to save the money.

IMO Ramsey is brought in here to compete with Chad, backup or start, and will hit the road after 06'...

IMO, all the signs are pointing towards Matt or Cutler...

#29 PennyandtheJets, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2005
  10. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Basically we can do wahtever we want which is great. However don't look at the Ramsey deal and say they won't go after Leinart because of that. The smart thing to do is get a QB before the draft because on draft day anything can happen. What happens if the Jets couldn't make a deal to move up and someone else does? Leinart goes 2nd Cutler 3rdand then the Jets are stuck with a broken shoulder Qb again this season. I think the Ramsey signing was more insurance than anything. I do however think if the Jets stay at 4 they go defense. And it will probably be Hawk.

11. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

OK- not terrible, but if you saw him play, he played worse than these numbers

Notre Dame:

USC Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int
    M. Leinart 17 32 301 53.1 9.4 2 16 0 2 (and one last second fumble)

UCLA:
    M. Leinart 21 40 233 52.5 5.8 1 4 3 0 (and a ton of ducks in moderate wind)

Texas:
    M. Leinart 29 40 365 72.5 9.1 3 15 1 1

12. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

Just wait all you naysayers...

It would be the best move the Jets make this decade.

13. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

No Cutler.

No Leinart.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw, John Elway and Dan Marino all had rocket arms.

Tony Eason, Rick Mirer, Tim Couch and Joey Harrington were some of the average arm strength 1st round busts.

15. PennyandtheJets

You can't be serious? You are going to complain about the UCLA game? He had over 240 yards, 3 TD's and NO PICKS...and completed 52% of his passes after starting 0-5 and in the "weather conditions"

Complaining about that game is fricken lunacy...if anything I am impressed he rebounded so well after a poor first half.

Matt Leinart did play poorly in that Notre dame game, but if I am not mistake...HE was the one who called an audible on 4th and 9 and eventually CARRIED his team to a victory in the Clutch...

Texas? You are complaining about Texas? He threw for 365 yards against one of the countries best defenses! He had 1 TD and only one pick...he also completed 29 of his 40 attempts...

He did not lose that game...Vince Young won it...

#35 PennyandtheJets, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  16. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And have 4 QBs on the roster? with all our cap room we have anyway it wasn't a complete necessity to keep Chad anyway, most of the board including yourself said that not too long ago, so what would be the point to keep Chad and worry about the shoulder if we were just going to trade up for a QB anyway

17. PennyandtheJets

Thats not my point Biggs...

My point is Rocket arms are not all a QB needs to be good...

18. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

Almost as great as picks 12 & 22 for Robertson?

Or as great as Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed?

Or as great as the day we kept Ray Mickens instead of James Farrior?

Will it beat all those days?

19. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I disagree the only bad game of the three was UCLA. Everything was floating on him that day and he still threw 3 TD's.

Against Texas he was great. The only reason his stats weren't better is because White finished the drives off. C'mon 72% of 40 passes against a very tough Texas team is "below average". Give me a break.

Against Notre Dame he was great also. Hostile crowd all the pressure in the world to keep the streak going and he could have folded any number of times in that game as ND kept the pressure on by scoring. But nope everytime ND scored Leinart led USC right back.

As far as you mentioned earlier with his receivers ever think he is the one that makes them good? How has Mike Williams and Keary Colbert done in the NFL. Sure their careers are still young but they are non existant. I wouldn't be suprised if Smith and Jarret bothe have less than stellar NFL careers.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

No but pointing out all the rocket arm busts isn't an argument. Go look at the HOF QB's. There are a couple of average arm QB's in the HOF, a couple.