The pieces are in place: Matt Leinart? Good move or bad? - Merged X2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sanchizeqb, Mar 21, 2006.

1. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Not a big deal, but this Abraham deal makes me think that we won't trade up for Matt Leinart. I mean, ultimately, Atlanta was willing to give up the 15th overall pick if they could receive a 3rd and a 4th and Tannenbaum had to have declined; which means we value our picks.

Any thoughts?

2. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I personally think that this sets the stage for the trade for Matt...

3. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

You can't say that. This sets the stage for Leinart. We don't waste any of our lower picks in a depth draft and still get the fran. qb who wants to play for us.

4. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm pro Matt Leinart.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think Tannenbaum/Mangini have created enough flexibility that they can trade down out of the 4 hole and acquire more picks, then use a second round pick on Omar Jacobs or Brodie Croyle.

6. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

If we could have had a pick 14 spots higher in the first round and just given up a 3rd (with a comp. pick likely coming from the Raiders only a few spots behind ours) and a 4th, then this wasn't such a good deal after all because we could've had a much better one.

Still, I don't see us getting Leinart because we got Ramsey, but I wouldn't be against it.

7. Jetfan1215

Jetfan1215 New Member

I agree, i've heard all along that the saints want 2 1st roundes for #2, this gives the Jets some ammo to make the move, plus if the Saints want the DE from NC State and they trade #2 to NYJ, the first picks would go.
    1: Reggie Bush- HOU
    2: Matt Leinart- NYJ
    3: Vince Young- TEN
    4: Mario Williams- N.O.

N.O. still get the guy they want and another pick in 1st round

8. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I outright believe Tennessee will take Cutler. Young will drop to the raiders.

9. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think the only reason why McNair is back is to mold young... them two have a past.

10. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

They did until the Wonderlic...

11. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I would rather pass on Leinart, and go with the 2 first round QBs we already have for this season. Taking a prospect in later rounds to develop into the job is the way to go, as far as the QBs are concerned. JMO. Stay with the idea of building an offensive line, give that a year to come together and gel before we worry about a QB we may not even ever need.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This part of the statement is definitely true; I don't know if it's because they want to draft lots of people to fill lots of holes, or because they want to be able to package picks to move up, but clearly Tannenbaum was unwilling to add a 3rd and 4th to Abe for the #15 pick, or else Denver never would have gotten involved.

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I just can't imagine a Belichick disciple (Mangini) and a Parcells disciple (Tannenbaum) trading up, especially with all the holes we have on this team. Yes, Leinart is a franchise caliber QB who we could build around, but I just can't see it happen. I like Leinart a lot, but I think I'd prefer to either stay put, or trade down from #4 and get even more picks.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I also believe this is the opening stage of a trade with New Orleans...

New Orleans Gives: #2 overall

Jets Give: #4 overall and #29 overall

The reason why this trade makes alot of sense is because the Jets probably wish to retain their mid round picks...this would enable them to do just that AND get the QB.

15. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I'm with you on this. I think the possibility we trade up is even greater now.

16. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

The pieces are in place: Matt Leinart

With the Abe trade all but official we now have the upper hand and the chips needed to move up to the number two spot and draft Leinart. Tenessee doesn't have an extra first rounder to offer in order to move up a spot and that puts us at a clear advantage. Based on the draft pick value chart we wouldn't have to surrender any of our other picks which is big because we can use them for other needs and still get the potential franchise QB we need.

Now do the Jets make the move? I don't know. To me the only question is if Leinart will have problems throwing the ball at Giants stadium with the tough weather conditions. Other than that the guy is as good of a prospect as it gets. So it's up to Mangini and Tannebaum to decide if he's worth it. Either way we have all of our options open now and that is why it was so important for them to get another first rounder for Abe.

17. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

4 & 29 would be an AWFUL trade for Leinart

pick 29 = Abe

4 + Abe would be a disgustingly bad trade to move up 2 spots to get a QB with below average arm strength.

1. We have two servicable QB's
    2. Palmer had Justin F'ing Fargas. Leinart had Mike Williams, Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarret, Dominique Byrd, and 3-4 1st day OL picks.
    3. There will be very, very good value at 29.

This will be the worst trade since...we bit Bellichick's bait and traded 12 & 22 for Dewayne Robertson without working him and his chronic arthritis knee.

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible trade if we go 4 & 29/Abe for Leinart.

18. mkcatl

mkcatl New Member

your right, it is horrible for New Orleans, according to the draft pick value chart we would have to include a 3rd, or may a 4th & 5th, along with the 4th and 29th

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I have questions about Leinart however if the Jets have him rated as the best player on the board, are convinced he is the future and since we need a QB trading our 2 No. 1's for him would not be a bad move, it would be a smart move.

20. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

WHo cares about the f'in draft chart? I want no business with a QB in round 1 this year.