The philosophy of Defense first is abysmal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 28, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So they have 3 wins now. They still have to play terrible Buffalo twice. They beat Buffalo twice and beat some other team and you are happy with this season????

2. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

My expectations this year is that the Jets are 6 to 8 win team. Everybody knows on this board that we are not a good football team. I am just baffled by the comments here by some of the members.

3. BrowningNagle

I’ll ask you the same question. So they have 3 wins now. They still have to play terrible Buffalo twice. They beat Buffalo twice and beat some other team and you are happy with this season???? Bowles keeps his job. We look to 2019?

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What has happiness got to do with a rebuild?

Stupidly high expectations will spoil your season more than anything.

So what did you really expect from a team in what is essentially year 2 of a rebuild, the play offs?. A winning record 9-7+?. A bang average 6-10 - 8-8 draft killing season?

This team is still young, it has talent but not consistency, it obviously lacks in the CS department as well, right now if we beat the Bills twice and finish the season2nd in our division but not in the play offs I would consider those two wins nothing more than fluff that keeps over expectant win dependant fans happy, when in reality it has just fucked our chances of a top end rush passer or left tackle.

If anybody came into this season expecting or hoping for a play off place are either a hopelessly optimistic in the extreme or just plain stupid.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Did you become a Jets fan because you thought they would be a winner and it would make you happy? If you did, I suggest prozac. You either live and die with the team you root for or you don't. Happy is on you not the NY Jets.

Expectations of what the won lost record will be before the games are played ignores the reality of sports. It's a competition. Results don't happen in a vacuum. There is an opponent. I hate the fact that we're losing. I get why, our roster isn't as good as most of the teams we play. I admit I'm not as happy about watching NFL football as I used to be. Not because the Jets aren't winning more, although as a Jets fan that would be great. I'm also a big fan of pro-football. I feel the overall level of play is in decline even though in some ways the league is more competitive. It's hard to have a hard competition when the owners aren't in competition with each other, they are partners with each other. Still there is good, bad and worse. We are in the bad to worse category.

I'm still optimistic that we will be mediocre to good in a year or two even with our Crappy owner, GM and Head Coach. Most of the league has Crappy owners, GM's and Head coaches. Few of them have Sam Darnold at 21 years old.

If bitching about the Owner, GM and Head Coach makes you happy, carry on...

K'OB and FJF like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I boldly predicted the Jets would make the playoffs.

My "out" is that I made that prediction when it looked like Teddy Bridgewater was gonna start.

But even with Darnold, I still thought I'd see a better team than the tagtag bunch they put on the field every week.

I'd like to believe i was optimistic not "plain stupid".

Maybe I'm special stupid.

K'OB likes this.
  7. K'OB

But did you make this prediction before we seen the skins take us to the cleaners preseason?

There is promise for the future, no doubt about that but currently the zero running game (bar the one bizarre game) is the reason we are struggling, it is creating so much pressure on the throwing game.

#127 K'OB, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

A below average offense with no playmakers will not put you in competition for a playoff spot in this league. In addition, Jets defense is not strong enough to win the tight games when the offense struggles, as it has often this season. The Jets are stuck in no-man's land. The countdown is on to see if the Jets can go ten consecutive years without a playoff appearance. Not an easy thing to do, no matter how much an organization sucks.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What's baffling? That some see more wins than you (or at least did a couple of months ago) or some expect fewer wins than you do? Does it baffle you when some complain about different units on the team or coaching staff members? What about the guys who praise those who have produced little to nothing? What's your angle?

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I made it before the draft.

Here's my next prediction....We beat Miami today.:cool:

[​IMG]

Footballgod214 and K'OB like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

You did not answer my question. Neither did FJF or Alexjets that I asked or Biggs, etc.

it’s a simple question. You guys apparently expected 6-10. So if they finish the rest of this season just beating terrible buffalo twice and some other win, that’s 6 wins. Is that a successful season to you?

Should Bowles keep his job for matching expectations by beating Buffalo twice and winning 1 other game between now and January..?

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't expect 6 and 10 or any other result for the season. As a fan I'm optimistic before each game that we have a chance to win. When we lose I'm disappointed. That doesn't mean I assign blame to one thing or another as far as the cumulative results over a 16 game season. Things happen during a season that impacts the chances that you win or lose each game. Key injuries, matchups, unexpected new talent that rises to the top for you or an opponent, a bad penalty that turns a game. An injury that turns a game. Strength of schedule, etc., etc,. etc. Teams that do well usually start to stack wins at some point in a season and teams that don't usually stack losses. Expectations for where a particular team will be at the end is a fools game in the NFL. I suspect fans of Jacksonville are very disappointed right now.

13. K'OB

I think the fact that we weren't expecting a successful season is the point you are constantly failing to acknowledge.

Plainly any team that finishes with a losing record it is not going to be a successful season but the fact that anybody with half a brain understands that it is unlikely a team in year two of a complete rebuild is hardly likely to be challenging for the play offs.

If you are that person then your disappointment is of your own making.

Another answer and one I have made hundreds of times, 5, 6 or 7 wins is a double-edged sword season in that it just fucks us over in the draft and only keeps the W at all costs fans happy for a week.

I would rather win 0,1 or 2 games at most than go 5, 6 or 7 and even 8 wins for that matter.

On game day it is hard not to cheer the boys on and we all want a win for those 60 minutes as we are fans.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

So I guess I’m not gonna get an answer. Sigh

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

my satisfaction with this season will be determined by the growth of sam and the offense. I am aware of what this team is right now, I want to see us heading in the right direction.
    after today I am not sure that's happening