The philosophy of Defense first is abysmal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 28, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we're 5-5 at the bye, we'll see him. Otherwise we'll have to wait till the offseason.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It was a tongue in cheek joke.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Ironically,
    The ones doing the most bitching, especially about passing on Mahomes, we're the ones who were dead set against drafting him. Use a comp pick for him, maybe a 3 Rd rounder, nothing earlier than a 3rd or 4th.....
    I know Colorado was in favor of drafting him along with a small handful of others.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I ain't touching Mahomes subject with 10 foot pole for a reason. I admit I was against drafting him, and I don't stone Mac for missing him either. Mahomes wouldn't have been half the QB he is now if he had been drafted by this clown of an organization.

Acad23, K'OB and TonyFtLaud like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have any of the Weapons he has there in KC either.

6. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I'd like to say your wrong, but you are not wrong.

I am not able to see every Jet game and can only see the highlights these days.

Are the Jets cheating on offense like the Pats and the rest of the NFL these 4 ways?

1.) Run pick plays since Refs will not call offensive pass interference.
    2.) Do the receivers push off to get open? As long as they are not obvious and keep their elbows bent, they will get away with it.
    3.) Throw the ball short and then have the receiver bang into the defender trying to get to the short pass.
    4.) My favorite is having offensive lineman blocking downfield before the pass is thrown. See Kansas City Chiefs video on how to do it, since they are the best at it.

The game is rigged for the offense, so if you can't take advantage of these rules, you must be stupid.

Kris 15 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Best line of the post "passing on Mahomes was criminally stupid"..,good one NC!

Management that is confident in their decisions gets it done over the years eg Andy Reid, BB

That's where you start good Ownership and good management

Dorsey will turn the Browns around...just watch

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

If you are only seeing highlights that's excellent analysis!

9. NYJetsO12

Yes..and please tell me Brad are not BOTH the GM and HC (mostly) responsible for 2 Seasons of 5-11 and 3 of poor game management by TB??

TBH the "reactionary" posts have been coming after 28 losses

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

Sad but true...OTH theday would/will finally come when we get a really good coach for caliber , talent like Mahomes or Sam..sigh..

So if we would have grabbed Mahomes when the grabbing was good he would be an asset under contract for us like SD

Good line "clown of an organization " ahahahahahah

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

5 starters:

Edge rusher
    Center
    LT
    #1 WR
    #2 CB

And decent depth. Then this team, even with Bowls (who I still want gone) will be competitive.

With the money we have it’s not impossible to do at least half of that in 1 offseason. Jets would need to hit in the draft beyond round 1, though. That’ll be the tough part.

A philosophy change would need to happen this offseason when the money is there, though. Let the new guy break the bank to run things his way. Jets aren’t just used to defend no fly zones.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even with Mahomes being only half the QB he is now, when added with the 3 second round picks and the 1st round pick that they used to take Darnold, the team would be a lot better off because they'd probably have a better WR or TE, would probably have upgraded the OL, and almost certainly would have either had their future LT or an edge rusher.

ColoradoContrails and Biggs like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That was obvious
    Obviously yes if you're a Jets fan. If you're a Pats or Denver fan a total disappointment. The Pats loss was an epic fail by that team, possibly the best team in NFL history who will never get credit for it. FYI the Pats beat Atlanta 2 years ago in the SB. Everyone views it as an offensive shoot out. It wasn't. Atlanta with the No. 1 O in the league didn't score a point in the 2nd half. The Pats happened to have the No. 1 D as far as scoring on them that year. No comeback without the defensive adjustment that stopped Atlanta cold. Last years SB Philadelphia had the 4th ranked D. They turned an offensive shoot out into victory with a defensive play.

Seattle bitch slapped that Denver team FYI. Their D blew them up in the first quarter. I was on a plane back to Denver filled with Bronco fans. You could hear a pin drop in that plane.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Yup. Had they made the move on a QB last year they would have been able to improve the talent on O this year and next. Now they have to hit homers in the draft and kill it in FA when every agent knows they are desperate.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Even at "half the QB" level he would've been better than anyone the Jets had.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yes. That's the point. [Had]. Not [Have]. That's a major difference. Sure, Sam did drop in Mac's laps, but do give him credit for trading up aggressively and getting the guy we needed. Darnold was very well regarded as a prospect, and I don't know if I would trade Sam for Patrick.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sam for Pat straight up. Sign me up. I wish Sam all the success in the world.

18. ColoradoContrails

Oh I've fully credited Macc for trading up, and being lucky that Sam fell into his lap. As Branch Rickey said: "Luck is the residue of design", so kudos to Macc for a designing a good strategy. And at this point, I'm happy with Sam and think he is a FQB and who knows, may even surpass Mahomes in the long run. Would I do an even up swap, Sam for Patrick? Personally I would. Would I do a trade for Mahomes with Sam and some other asset? Absolutely not!

And I don't think Patrick would've fit here with Bowles as teh HC because I could easily see him going "off script" and ignoring Bowles's conservative instructions.

On balance we got a FQB, but we could've had one sooner and cheaper, and added more pieces to boot.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What matters is, we have a FQB. Wanna guess how many NFL teams can say that?

20. ColoradoContrails

Agreed. Having a FQB - although as yet still in the proving stage - makes a world of difference over the past years (decades). I just hope they don't f*ck it up.

westiedog1 likes this.