The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MayoGate, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean_in_titletown

This board is full of too many losers... I'm outta here. Good luck with the Ravens next week!!!! HAHAHA!!!!!

2. If everyone is doing it, how come so many teams have had beefs w/ the Pats and the Pats only? Could it be there are other things going on beyond stealing signals but the only thing they can get them for is that?

I have a feeling this is the case..

3. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Best thing I read all day. :lol:

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's not true. The fins claimed to have got the signals from the legal NFL tapes and it was never contested - at least not publicly.

5. Gator

Gator Active Member

New rule.....IMO........Pats trolls should only be allowed in the trashtalking forum. That way people don't have to read their crap. If a Pats fan is here, it's just to start trouble. You have a little area, like a zoo, and you lock em all in a cage over there.

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

When stupid people attack!

7. JetFanRI

JetFanRI New Member

LT: I’m not surprised
    By John Tomase
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - Updated 8h ago
    + Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email + Bio Boston Herald Sports Writer
    Patriots beat writer John Tomase joined the Herald in 2005 after six years covering the Red Sox.
    E-mail Printable (12) Comments Text size Share (5) Rate
    Count Chargers star running back LaDainian Tomlinson among those not surprised by allegations the Patriots [team stats] used a camera to steal signs.

“I think the Patriots actually live by the saying, ‘If you’re not cheatin, you’re not trying,’ ” Tomlinson told reporters with a hearty laugh in San Diego yesterday. “I mean, I think that’s the way they live off that statement. You keep hearing the different stories of people complaining about stuff that they do. So I’m not surprised.”

Tomlinson mentioned the Dolphins and Jets and how “they got a hold of a playbook or something.”

“There are just different things that happen you keep hearing about. Anything for an edge.”

8. JetFanRI

JetFanRI New Member

Latest signals are troubling

By Karen Guregian | Tuesday, September 11, 2007 | http://www.bostonherald.com | N.E. Patriots

Photo by Nancy Lane
    FOXBORO - Talk about putting a damper on a huge coming-out party. Talk about taking the brilliant shine off Randy Moss, Tom Brady [stats] and that seemingly unstoppable offense that torched the Jets in Week 1.

Bill Belichick, cheater?

First, Patriots [team stats] safety Rodney Harrison [stats] admits he took a performance-enhancing drug - reportedly human growth hormone - and is suspended four games.

Now the three-time Super Bowl champions reportedly have been caught stealing signs from the Jets with a sideline camera.

Apparently drugs aren’t the only things being used to get a boost. There are some old-fashioned ways to get a competitive edge, and the Pats - and Belichick by extension - apparently have been exposed for illegal filming.

The story, which initially was reported by Scout.com, claims a member of Jets security caught a Pats employee filming New York’s coaches as they signaled the field.

While some might chalk this up merely as more Border War theatrics or another chapter in the Eric Mangini/Belichick feud, this isn’t the first time the Patriots have been accused of the league infraction.

There were accusations following last year’s Pats game in Green Bay, although no charges were formally filed. A league source yesterday also told the Herald’s John Tomase the Lions caught the Pats stealing signs with a camera during the team’s 28-21 victory at Gillette Stadium last December.

Is this a big deal?

On the cheating chart, maybe not, but in this climate of fans being sick of hearing about what players - and now apparently teams - in all sports are doing to get an edge, the violation is scored on a much grander scale.

That, and the fact we’re talking about the Patriots, a team everyone once loved but now would love to see take a fall.

Naturally, word of this spread like wildfire given the involvement of the Jets and Pats, but mostly because it’s another charge that taints the image of a team that prides itself on doing things the right way. There is in fact a rule against such practices as filming signals when the game is in progress.

According to league spokesman Greg Aiello, “No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be used in the coaches booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.”

My question is, if you’re the Patriots, and you’re so much better than the team across the field - Packers, Lions, Jets, or whoever - why steal their defensive signs? Or attempt to steal them?

Isn’t Belichick supposed to be a defensive genius? Can’t he just tell his team what’s going on by watching, instead of spying signals with a camera?

When asked about it yesterday, players claimed it was the first they had heard of the accusations or a camera being confiscated. Ellis Hobbs [stats] didn’t know if the charges against the Pats were true but believed this type of thing goes on.

“I can see it happening, because everyone’s trying to get that edge,” Hobbs said, “but there’s so much time and effort put into it, I don’t think you’d want to put the whole season, or one game, on the line by looking at specific signals when they do change week to week.”

Hobbs, however, took offense to the notion the Pats’ past success would now in some way be tarnished by this news.

“We put so many hours in as individuals, as a team, to have to go out there and cheat,” Hobbs said. “We take pride in what we do. We know the rules of the game. By no facet or shape or form have we ever tried to cheat. We don’t need to. I’m not saying we’re that good. We take pride in what we do. Rules are rules. We go in day in and day out, we get here early in the morning, we leave late at night trying to get the best jump on any team we’re playing. So I’d just throw that out the window.”

Defensive captain Ty Warren [stats] didn’t know anything about it and didn’t believe there was anything to be gained from it.

“We’re out on the field. We’re unaware of that. I know me personally, and the guys right alongside of me, we got 300-pound-plus guys across from us. So we’re just trying to beat those guys. We’re not worried about what (happens) on the sidelines,” he said. “Film is passed around the league every year, every week. I can relate to that. Anything else, my hand’s in the dirt.”

Trouble is, the Patriots organization, as a whole, is in the dirt with him with this on the books. The players play, but if they’re being aided by coaches who are cheating, it paints a whole different picture

9. Beamen

Beamen New Member

It's starting to gain some serious momentum... I think the fact that this has been brought out into the open is very good for the league, because now other teams won't worry about speaking up when they see something suspicious....

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

after the NFL didnt do anything about that bogus arbitrator with skins season tix giving them that useless kick returner, I have no faith in them doing anything about this

11. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I do: new commissioner trying to make his disciplinary mark on the league. This will be addressed, I'm positive on that...

12. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I think a lot of people here will be disappointed in the outcome if this is proven true. At best, I think the Pats will lose a mid-round draft pick. More likely, I think that it will be a fine and stern warning. I would be very surprised if the Jets got anything out of it at all.

13. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

POSTED 4:05 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2007

BELICHICK SUMMONED TO NEW YORK?

WVCB in Boston reports that Pats coach Bill Belichick has been summoned to New York by Commissioner Roger Goodell to answer questions regarding allegations that the Patriots were stealing defensive signals on Sunday against the Jets.

WEEI in Boston reports that the Patriots deny the WVCB report.

Either way, this issue is generating all sorts of buzz in league and media circles. Though it could be driven by the perception that the Patriots are the top organization in the league and the other 31 franchises would love to seem them take a fall, there's just too much smoke on this one to disregard it.

Still, we doubt that the Pats are the only team stealing signals, if the final decision is that they are or have been. Multiple readers have told us that the Eagles were taking great pains to shield their own defensive signals from prying eyes against the Packers, which suggests that this could be a fairly common thing.

14. Beamen

Beamen New Member

On ESPN's Outside the Lines, a Boston reporter stated that he thinks the NFL is leaning towards a short-suspension for Belichick and/or a day 1 draft pick loss for NE if this is indeed true....

15. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Funny you guys think this will be disregarded because it's been talked about on NFL television and NFL live all day. I hope they lose a first day pick although what does it matter the bastards have two first rounders anyway.

16. In Mangini We Trust

In Mangini We Trust New Member

Belichick summoned to New York

from profootballtalk.com

POSTED 4:05 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2007

BELICHICK SUMMONED TO NEW YORK?

WVCB in Boston reports that Pats coach Bill Belichick has been summoned to New York by Commissioner Roger Goodell to answer questions regarding allegations that the Patriots were stealing defensive signals on Sunday against the Jets.

WEEI in Boston reports that the Patriots deny the WVCB report.

Either way, this issue is generating all sorts of buzz in league and media circles. Though it could be driven by the perception that the Patriots are the top organization in the league and the other 31 franchises would love to seem them take a fall, there's just too much smoke on this one to disregard it.

Still, we doubt that the Pats are the only team stealing signals, if the final decision is that they are or have been. Multiple readers have told us that the Eagles were taking great pains to shield their own defensive signals from prying eyes against the Packers, which suggests that this could be a fairly common thing.

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

If your attitude is typical, I suppose the majority of Pats fans will continue to try to trivialize and diminish this incident ad nauseum, so there's not much any of us can do in order for you to see any severity in this at all. My guess is, reality won't set in until you lose your 2008 2nd-Round Draft pick.

Meanwhile, today's Star-Ledger confirms that NFL Security "confiscated a video camera and its tape from a Patriots employee on the Jets' sidelines during Sunday's game."

The article states that, "The tape has been forwarded to the league for investigation. There might also be some radio frequency allegations." Now for the good part: "This isn't the first time such an incident involving the Patriots has happened. The Packers accused the Patriots of a similar stunt last season at Lambeau Field, and the same Patriots employee was caught filming."

#317 Section 227. Row 5, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  18. bird_1972

bird_1972 New Member

The Pats are scum ... plain and simple.

I've never trusted Bilichek and now I know why. Maybe he learned this tactic after failing in Cleveland.

And, sounds like those around the league share in this opinion:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210570&page=1&pp=30

Not sure if it would have effected the outcome, but honestly, we'll never know. Shame.

19. JetFanRI

JetFanRI New Member

20. sect105

sect105 New Member

Trying to steal signals is a pretty common practice, if you are trying to do it "manually". I would think using video equipment to do it would be another story. I believe many years ago there was a baseball team that were stealing the cathers signals and they would radio them to the dugout. The team (I think it was the New York Giants) had an incredible second half of the season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.