The Officials Jets in London Thread

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by gustoonarmy, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Take the pictures - hide the slag!

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

im heeeeerrrre

donkey likes this.
  3. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Putting the final touches to the walking tour (hope the weather is as good as this weekend was). I will produce a little list of the pubs so I'll bung it on here and people who are joining us can print it out if they like.

The Fan Rally at Trafalgar Square will have Fitzpatrick, Revis and Curtis Martin, but I don't know the times, yet. http://www.nfluk.com/events/fan-rally.html

Finally, it would be good if I could set up a What's App group of those drinking, so pm me your number if you like.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  4. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Any of the Brits/Euros want to join our pub crawl on Saturday, just say so in the other thread. :)

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Man can't believe you left right after the game on Sunday. Making a vacation out of it I see

'm actually excited for this game, starts at 9:30 PM for me on Sunday night which is a nice change from the 1 soon to be 2AM Monday morning games most of the time for me. My 2nd football season in Asia and it sucks... at least with baseball most of the games are on at 7-10 AM

6. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Hey Donkey just got this direct from New York Jets...

Jets fans flying "across the pond" to experience the Green & White's first game ever in England against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday have several opportunities to meet with other Jets fans and British aficionados of American football while in London.

Jets Pub, located at the Admiralty 66 Trafalgar Square, is expected to be a home base for Jets fans for the weekend. It will be open from Friday through Sunday, Oct. 2-4. The first 1,000 Season Ticket Holders who scan their Jets Rewards Cards on Friday from 1–11 p.m. or Saturday from noon–11 p.m. will receive a free pint or soft drink plus 1,000 rewards points. (One per day per card.)

Also, fans will want to visit the NFL Fan Rally at Trafalgar Square on Saturday, Oct. 3, from noon–4 p.m. There will be appearances by players, coaches and NFL legends plus sponsor activations, food and beverage, and more.

Then on Sunday, Oct. 4, beginning at 9:30 a.m., visitors can stroll the NFL Gameday Fan Plaza outside Wembley Stadium, which will feature appearances by NFL legends, sponsor activations, food, beverage and merchandise.

Finally, on Sunday afternoon, it will be gametime in the U.K. The Jets and Dolphins will play the NFL's 12th International Series game and the league's first division game at Wembley, with kickoff set for 2:30 p.m. (And for all Jets followers who can't make the trip, remember the game will start at 9:30 a.m. ET back stateside.)

Maybe start at the Admiralty then stumble to "Ship and Shovel"?

Freddy Mondo and MoWilkBeast like this.
  7. bazblue80

bazblue80 New Member

Like the sound of a Jets themed pub. May have to nip in for a couple on Saturday before heading over to the fan rally. After going last year, I would assume the Jets players appearances will be later on in the event so will have time beforehand without getting moaned at by the Mrs too much.

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Jesus, current season ticket holders can't even cross the Atlantic in order to escape the marketing "shill" of being led-around by Jets rewards card obligations… I wish I could be there with you guys, and since I'm not, my opinion doesn't matter and I apologize for it in advance, but Donkey is organizing an authentic London Pub Crawl for a small group of die hard Jets fans. I can't see how a Jets promotion in a pub that more than likely will be closed to the locals, can compare. Maybe it'll be fun to be amongst so many other American fans, but the fact that the Jets are flying their rewards card scanners over there makes me VERY suspicious.

My advice would be to leave that event for the less informed, You guys have something very cool happening here, on your own. Donkey - are you familiar with The Admiralty?

9. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Don't know the Admiralty, I'm happy to start there if people prefer. My next two posts will contain all the details. At the moment we would look to meet in the Chandos before heading to the Fan Rally. That can be easily changed to the Admiralty if the will of those coming over is such. So at present I'll stick with the Chandos...but scream and shout in this thread if you'd rather start at the Admiralty.

10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Ok then this is what I’ve come up with. I guess if we are going to get round all the pubs we need to spend no longer than 15 mins in each one…however, I’ve never once done a pub crawl in which we’ve got to every pub…so we’ll keep to the order and see how far we go.

London is not cheap. Think about £4 to £4-50 per pint…but one advantage is you don’t need to tip…

To try to get everyone together before the Fan Rally we’ll be in the Chandos (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/65/657/Chandos/Trafalgar_Square) from 11-30. The Chandos is a traditional pub, Sam Smith’s Brewery, so the beer is cheaper than elsewhere. We’ll be sat upstairs so grab a half and come up and see us! That way it should be easier to hit the Fan Rally as a group.

At about 2pm we should leave the Fan Rally and head off to the Ship and Shovell (http://shipandshovell.co.uk/) as recommended by GreenFan15J. Of course if Curtis Martin is on the stage, I suggest we stay for his stint. They have a good pie selection, scroll down to Menu and click on ‘bigger bites’. A good nosh up required before the drinking, methinks.

The tour will then move on the Cross Keys (http://www.crosskeyscoventgarden.com/). Amongst other things they have a napkin signed by Elvis Presley…

If we want we can wander down to the Thames for a good view across and down the river.

A 10 mins walk to the next pub – the French House (http://www.frenchhousesoho.com/index.html), in darkest Soho. Soho can be a little ‘interesting’ at the best of times, but worth a visit. The pub has a no cell phone policy so switch ‘em off!

Next is a short hop to the Dog and Duck (http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/thedogandducksoholondon). A Nicholson’s pub, I do like this brewery and they have a Rugby World Cup beer festival on, so something for us all. They claim George Orwell, John Constable and Madonna have all been served here. They have a beer call Cleveland Brown, you can make up your own gags.

Another 10 mins walk to the Princess Louise (http://princesslouisepub.co.uk/), a Grade II listed building, good Victorian architecture, and as a Sam Smith’s pub, good beer, too.

The next pub is pretty close, the Holborn Whippet (http://holbornwhippet.com/), a different type of pub from the traditional and Victorian we’ve seen so far. A lovely big list of beers for us to try.

15 mins to the next pub (past the Cittie of Yorke which we can visit as we pass) to Ye Olde Mitre (http://yeoldemitreholborn.co.uk/). A Fuller’s pub which means I’ll be on one of my favourite beers Fuller’s London Porter – a happy Donkey. The pub was built in 1546, one of our oldest pubs, I think. Henry VIII got married next door and the pub used to be part of Cambridge (which is 63 miles away).

Next up is the Jerusalem Tavern (http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/london-pub/). A tavern has stood on this site since the 14th Century, but the current building is a lot newer dating from 1720. A St Peter’s pub – I think the only one in London, so a rare treat.

Royal Tee and JetsVilma28 like this.
  11. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Part Two...

The Viaduct Tavern (http://viaducttavern.co.uk/) is another Fuller’s pub (natch) originally built as a gin palace, it has cells in the basement (or maybe not) and claims to be London’s most haunted pub, if that’s your thing. Interesting décor and Victorian tiles on the walls.

If literature is your bag, then Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (http://www.citypubs.co.uk/pubs/yeoldcheshirecheese.html) is for you. Charles Dickens, PG Wodehouse and even Dr Samuel Johnson drank here. It is also one of our oldest, rebuilt after the Great Fire of London in 1666. Another Sam Smith’s – you can work out why by now, I hope.

Another Gin palace to keep us fluid as we head to our final destination. This time we’ll be calling in at the Punch Tavern (http://www.punchtavern.com/). If you fancy moving on from beer, they do lot of gin, your call, but I’m not picking you up from the pavement.

Finally we arrive at Ye Olde Watling (http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/yeoldewatlingwatlingstreetlondon). Having just walked past St Paul’s Cathedral, it makes sense to go and have a drink in the same pub Christopher Wren used as an office for his architectural drawings. Another 17th Century pub, which if I’m lucky will still be serving Mad Squirrel Milk Stout.

By the way, I should say, that I’ve only been in three of these pubs…it’s an adventure for me too!

After all this myself and my mate will find somewhere to eat, and then drink to watch the rugby as (hopefully) England beat Australia. You are welcome to join us, but may prefer to do your own thing by this time – your call. All the way though you can do what you like, but there’ll be at least two of us completing this (hopefully).

See you out there somewhere and don’t forget…

B! E! E! R!

Beer

Beer

Beer.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  12. GangGreen1960

GangGreen1960 Member

I'll be there with my dad and three Brits who are dolphins fans (not diehards, only casual). We'll arrive Saturday and might not make it in time for the NFL fan rally at Trafalgar Square. I've been to the Lions Falcons and the Steelers Vikings game and there have always been lots of things to do around Wembley Stadium. Different stores and kiosks with a wide range of merchandise and food/beverages.

13. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I am probably going to miss the Chando. I will meet you guys in the square or at the ship and shovel. Most likely at the square...I know what Royal Tee looks like (we tailgate). I don't know how crowded it will be down there though? I will keep my eyes peeled. If I don't see you guys I will just head to ship and shovel at 2pm or whenever Curtis Martin is done speaking (definitely want to hear/see #28) Can't wait!

14. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Cool. The Ship and Shovell is pretty small we should find each other. :)

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  15. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Well done Donkey!

We fly tomorrow...CAN'T WAIT!!! I will check out the Admiralty on Friday and post a report. I'm a newbe so don't have enough cred to PM you my number.

We will see you upstairs at Chando GO JETS!!!

16. bazblue80

bazblue80 New Member

Great work sorting all this out Donkey. Not sure on what I'm doing at the moment, however I'll either be going Admiralty before the Fan Rally I think, not sure if Chando's does decent food, then I may meet up with you all again at Cross Keys, as its round the corner from where we're staying although it depends what time. Don't want to push my luck too much with the Mrs, as weve got a meal booked then off to watch a show at night.

LogeSection2RowJ and donkey like this.
  17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

18. swissjet

swissjet Member

Yessssss, will be there as well, flying to London tomorrow .... hope in block 141 will be more Jets Fans.
    my last "live" Jets game was in 2003 against the Steelers in the snowy Meadowlands.

19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah, be CAREFUL with the Mrs. set her up with a cab to Harrod's and you should be fine for a few more hours!

Go Jets! Squish the Fish (and chips) !

donkey likes this.
  20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Not for nothing but for everybody info Dolphins ARE NOT fish but instead are mammels as they air breathe like U & I