The official we have a QB controversy thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by winstonbiggs, Sep 16, 2007.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Lienshat, big deal. Thank heavens for small miracles. We were spared the pretense of his hair gel going aflame on the Hofstra complex. Because you know that would have happened - and the Jets would've had to pay him damages.

2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

So now the preason is the end all and be all? Tell that to the Saints. Brees was 90+% in the preseason and it took him almost three quarters to lead his team to an offensive TD in the real games.

3. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

For his first start (and against the ravens) he didn't play terribly.. even in the first 3 quarters. As for picking up the blitz, he got sacked less than chad did last week, so I'm not complaining.

The plays he made that brought us back in the game weren't of the dink and dunk variety.. they were clearly throws that pennington couldn't have made. At this point, I don't think it's going to make a difference which qb starts because they're both good and they're not the reason we're losing. That being said KC proved he brings more to the game than pennington.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Defenses step up and make stands when they have hope it will lead to something.

Defensive stands for Chad in a 2 scores down scenario don't mean anything. Game over anyway. That was not true for Vinny and it looks like itm ight not be true for Clemens, although time will tell.

5. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Yeah, this is pretty much the reaction I was expecting after this game. 1 quarter = Canton.

It was nice to see him play well today. It would have been nicer to see him do that earlier. Here's hoping he improves on his accuracy and touch on his passes.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Who said 1 quarter equals Canton? It's not like we have a pro bowl QB starting on the Jets ahead of him.

7. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

lol I thought the reaction from the first 3 quarters was even funnier. Jets fans tend to extremes don't they?

8. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Mangini is facing the most important decision of his young coaching career!!!

Mangini needs to start Kellen Clemens next week against the Dolphins.

There I said it.

The Jets are probably going to end the year somewhere in the 6-10 to 8-8 range.

They are going to do that with Pennington or without Pennington in the line-up as starting QB.

We know what Pennington can bring: intelligence, leadership, a competitive nature, accurate passer, great play-action.

But we also know his limitations: injury-prone, needs a good running game to be effective, weak arm.

The Jets have never been better than a 10-6 team with him his a healthy starting QB. They have never advanced past the 2nd round in the play-offs with him. Does this make him a bad quarterback? Absolutely not. The history of the NFL is littered with QBs, blessed with better arms or offensive weapons or great defenses, that failed to meet expectations.

The fact that Pennington came back from 2 shoulder surguries...something no other NFL QB has ever successfully done...is a tremendous accomplishment. But as a team-first player, Pennington, in the deepest part of his heart must know that the end of Jets QB career is near.

Simply put, we already know what Pennington can do. We know what his "ceiling" is as a starting QB. The fact that he accomplished as much as he did with an incompetent head coach in Herm Edwards and impotent offensive coordinater in Paul Hackett cannot be discounted.

But the fact of the matter is that he won't be the starting QB for the Jets in 2009 or 2010. The Jets didn't draft Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round to have him sit for 3-4 years. They drafted him to play QB, not carry the clipboard.

What do we know of Clemens? Well he has a great arm, is mobile, good accuracy and he took a beating yesterday from a great defense and was still in a position to tie the game. If not for 3 drops by his WR, the Jets would have been going into OT against the Ravens in Baltimore...no small feat.

Of course he was rattled early. It was his first start in the NFL...which is a far cry than playing against 2nd stringers in the pre-season. But despite all the sacks and hits he proved he was reslient in the pocket. He proved he has the ability to make throws that Pennington simply doesn't have the physical skills to complete. He showed some moxie in leading the team back when it should have just rolled over and quit.

Will he make mistakes? Yes and he did yesterday. But he showed me enough that he warrants a second straight start against the Dolphins this week.

This is the most important decision Mangini will make in his early coaching career. Fortunately he has an "excuse" in Pennington's ankle injury. The fundamental question is, will Mangini make the hard choice now...knowing it will be a "step back" record wise...to start Clemens and make the transition process.

The worst that happens? Clemens regresses to the point that the Jets need to look for another QB in the off-season. IMO, better to find that out know that waste another year with questions marks on the most important position of the field.

The best that happens? Clemens takes his lumps but continues to show improvement which may not necessarily be reflected by his stats or the team's record.

As for Pennington, it is regrettable that potentially his best years were wasted sitting on the bench behind a deteriorating Vinny T, handcuffed by a bad coaching staff and conservative play calling. IMO, when we look back at the Herm Edwards years (after Herm is fired for running KC into the ground also), we will see years littered with missed opportunities in the regular season and the playoffs.

I think Chad is a great team player and will do what he can to prepare Kellen Clemens to play. Of course Chad being Chad, he will continue to prepare and push Clemens in practice in an attempt to reclaim his starting job. That is a good thing, because competition brings out the best in everyone (unless you are Bill Belichicken!).

All this being said, I think the Chad Pennington era is over and Clemens will start the rest of the way.

9. Free4Jets

Free4Jets New Member

Clemens was impressive yesterday (and could have been more had we had 3 Cotchery's on the field) against a very good D' in the Ratbirds....that said, I do agree that Clemens should get a look again this weekend against the Fins....but something tells me that Chad will be back as the starter in the next few weeks

10. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Well said.
    On a side note, can somebody in theganggreen please do me a favor? I don't have enough posts to start a new thread yet, and I'd love to see a "Feed D'Brickashaw" thread get started. We could discuss our favorite fattening foods to eat on gameday and then E-mail our nastiest recipes to the Jets! Or we could start up an "HGH fundraiser" and send some growth hormone to our diminutive left tackle! (If you notice, players only get caught BUYING HGH, not USING it- If we bought the stuff for him, we'd be the most supportive fanbase in the league!)

1st suggestion- Nachos with extra cheese, jalepenos, ground beef and steroids! Yum!

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

There already is a thread on the "QB Controversy"

12. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I don't know how their could be a QB Controversy - alls Chad does is win.

13. ANJI

ANJI New Member

If all Chad did was win, half of giants stadium wouldn't hav cheered when he got hurt.