The Official Ramsey is a Jet Thread!! Post your thoughts here.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

As a Falcons fan, I would think you'd want to keep a good backup QB considering how often Vick gets injured.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Excuse me???? Maybe we weren't on the same msg board, but those Falcon fans were talking about giving up nothing less than Schaub for Abe and some even said we would need to add in a 2nd round pick. There was no trolling going on.

http://boards.AtlantaFalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=148584&view=findpost&p=2312088
    http://boards.AtlantaFalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=148664&view=findpost&p=2313550

#302 Murrell2878, Mar 17, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  3. The Dude

The Dude New Member

Schaub

The more I read about this guy the more I like him. The FO definitely feels more confident handing the ball to this guy then leinart, young, or cutler. If this guy is as good as billed, I wouldn't be opposed to slightly lowering our demands. Such as instead of Schaub+ this year's 2nd rd pick, make it next years 2nd rounder, or include this years 3rd rounder instead. A franchise qb is worth more than Abe and right now our only leverage is the fact that Schaub isn't a franchise qb yet. I am starting to think more and more that qb should not be the way we spend our 1st pick. I am all for drafting a qb in rd 2 or 3 if we don't land Schaub or Cutler (see Brodie Croyle).

4. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Is that a Schaub thread? :eek:hmy:

5. The Dude

The Dude New Member

I"m sorry, we just seem to be butchering everything and this guy has been featured all over ESPN.com this morning, figured I'd add another one.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Do we really want to build around another weak armed QB?

7. MiamiJet420

MiamiJet420 New Member

He's far from weak-armed....

8. winstonbiggs

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/matt_schaub

9. MiamiJet420

MiamiJet420 New Member

That's all fine and dandy.. but that's also an assessment before he was drafted. His arm strenghted has increased since then. In the game against the Pats he was making all the throws... deep with zip and accuracy. I refer to that game because it;s the only one I've seen him play in.

10. winstonbiggs

The Pats Defense was a mess when they played Atlanta last year. Very tough to judge anything on that.

This is Schaub pro numbers in two years.

66ATMPT 134Completions 49.3% 825Yards 6.2YPA 5TD 4INT

Not a lot there to judge anything on. I would hate to see Mangini over rate this guy based on the Pats game last year but it's very possible that's what's going on. Chad looked like he had a Howitzer against the Colts in 02 and a cap gun against the Raiders the following week.

11. parafly

parafly New Member

Can we stop all this weak arm talk? So unless you are Brett Favre, Dan Marino, or Kerry Collins, you have a weak arm?

He is an NFL quarterback. His arm is fine.

12. winstonbiggs

There are about 10 good NFL QB's right now, Schaub isn't one of them, he is a back up. You need a very good QB not an average QB to advance in this league.

13. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Do you really think is was Chad's noodle arm that sank you last season? No, it was the fact no QB, noodle or not, could stay healthy.

Try to keep a QB 16 games before you worry about his noodle. Or what? Do you think if he has a stronger arm he'll be able to stiff arm sacks away and get injured less?

14. winstonbiggs

A strong arm QB might help keep the safety out of the box don't you think?

15. parafly

parafly New Member

I totally agree, and I actually started a post yesterday questioning whether Schaub is overhyped. It just seems like every QB talked about here is labeled as "weak-armed." People seem to value arm strength as the highest priority in ranking a QB, which just doesn't make much sense to me.

Any QB that makes it all the way to the NFL level has adequate arm strength in my opinion. This isn't baseball where 10 MPH increase in your fastball makes a huge difference. This is football, and people seem to blow arm strength importance way out of proportion.

#315 parafly, Mar 17, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  16. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Winston..I have seen you on other threads suggesting taking Mario Williams (if available) with the #4.
    Fair enough..he'll be a stud.

that being said, you don't like Schaub.

what QB should we get?..and apparently only strong armed QBs need apply.

Let us know your thoughts..Thanks

17. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Thank God for the merge police :breakdance:

18. parafly

parafly New Member

So will a QB that has average arm strength. You, and many other posters, overvalue arm strength tremendously.

19. winstonbiggs

I don't agree that arm strength in the NFL isn't important. Arm strength coupled with a quick release is what seperates the average from the great. You can win against average competition which is most of the NFL with smarts but it's very hard to beat the elite defenses with a below average arm. Drives take longer and the more you need to grind and shorten the field the more you play into the teeth of the defense.

20. parafly

parafly New Member

Every QB in the league can throw the ball deep. Offenses that shorten the field and have lengthy drives are due more to the design of the offense and the plays being called than the arm strength of the QB.

Every safety in this league will adjust his coverage and help his CB if a WR runs a deep go route. It does not matter whether your QB is Brett Favre, Kerry Collins, Matt Schaub, or even Chad Pennington.