The Official Ramsey is a Jet Thread!! Post your thoughts here.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Mar 16, 2006.

1. njjet

njjet Member

The cost for Schaub is tooooo much!

The JETS are not in a position to pay big bucks for a QB. I envision another high-priced QB injury if we don?t improve our line.

Let?s see what happens with Chad before we blow a wad on a new QB. We are rebuilding and I don?t think we are going to a very good season next year regardless of the QB!!!!

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I wouldn't mind having Shaub, but for only him and 3rd? Not enough, you don't send an all-pro DE in his prime for a backup QB and a mid 3rd round pick. However if they make it one of the following, then I do it hands down:
    Shaub + 2nd round pick for Abraham
    Shaub + 3rd round + 4th (maybe 5th if we have to give in) round pick for Abraham.

3. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

We're the new Jets now. I expect nothing under average.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You are sure this guy is going to be great, yet you cannot spell his name. 'nough said.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I agree, it sucks we can't get more compensation for him, but the market for Abraham is drying up pretty quickly...The deal is pretty solid...not the best, but its pretty good. Schaub would probably be the starter and we'd get a valuable mid round pick in a deep draft...

6. bigoakley

bigoakley New Member

I hear you...that all makes sense for sure and you definitely know what you're talking about. but i think you're looking at value in general and not applying it to this specific draft. losing 11 spots in the first round isn't too huge when you consider that we can still get the RB we need. and gaining another 2nd rounder offsets the 11 spot drop to me. i know i may not be following the value chart, but in this instance, this deal looks like a big winner for us.

7. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I didn't hear that. Thats good to know.

8. bigoakley

bigoakley New Member

au, ua...that's really the crux of this conversation. thanks for pointing out what's truly important.

actually...schuab is a different guy none of you have heard about. the hell with matt schaub...it's all about matt schuab. i have special sources.

9. Buttle

Buttle New Member

To drop 11 spots we should in return not only recieve the 15th pick but the 20th pick in the draft or two mid second round draft picks plus the 15th. Value wise we would be much better off trading Abe straight up for Abe than the one proposed by the OP. Here is a link to the value chart.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/NickelPackage/tradevaluechart.htm

10. bigoakley

bigoakley New Member

definitely buttle...i know it makes sense in terms of the value chart, but i just think we shouldn't stick so closely to that when certain opportunities arise.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It is embarrassing to spell a guy's name two different ways in a post where you essentially claim him to be the next big thing.

And earlier in the thread I commented on this trade rumor.

12. parafly

parafly New Member

Is Matt Schaub Overhyped? - Merged

It seems as though most posters on this board and many fans around the country are in love with Matt Schaub. I agree that this young Quarterback brings many positive attributes to the table, and he certainly has alot of upside and potential.

But let's look at the facts:

He is young.
    He has seen VERY limited action with only 2 career starts.
    He is not a proven winner in the NFL.
    His consistency and injury potential are complete question marks.

Please realize that I am not trying to bash the guy. Like I said before, he is full of potential and can certainly be a great QB some day. All I am saying is that he is very inexperienced, and in my opinion he can only be considered as one step above a rookie QB.

How will he handle the pressure of week-to-week playing time? How will he respond to defenses that game plan toward him specifically? How will he perform in an offense which isn't focused around its running game?

I believe that all these questions are extremely viable. In my opinion, Matt Schaub is far from being a "sure thing" as many people make him out to be.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Ever hear the saying, "Everybody loves the backup quarterback."? It applies here.

He can run a little bit, but is not an accurate passer. I do not want this guy on the Jets.

14. Buttle

Buttle New Member

I have no idea what Abe is worth. It appears from all the reports he is worth somewhere around a late 1st. Schaub is probably somewhere in the same ballpark of late 1st early second in value. So your point of an Abe for Schaub straight up trade is probably not to far off. But then there are other reports saying the Jets want to trade Abe for Schaub and a second and the Falcons want Abe for Schaub and a 4th. Who to believe, but both of those trade ideas are much mroe preferrable.

My particular problem with trading Abe straight up for Schaub or even worse giving more than Abe for Schaub like the OP suggested is we know Abe will most likely produce at high level for another 5 or so years. While the odds of Schaub becoming just an average QB in this league probably are not to great. Almost all Qb prospects fail in the NFL. I would rather have a known producer than gamble on a long shot every time.

15. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

He IS only one step above a rookie QB, but I think that's a pretty big step.

He's got 2 years under his belt, and there's not much of a learning curve there at all.

No one is a "sure thing", but I think he's our best option.

With that said, I really wouldn't want to swap #1's with Atlanta. If we trade Abe, I either want their #15 straight up (then trade up and grab Lienart), or Schuab and their 2nd rounder for Abe. I'd be fine with throwing in a 4th also (as someone has suggested in another thread).

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I must admit, though. The name "Matt Schaub" oozes multiple Super Bowl winner. Even if he doesn't go to the Jets I will buy an authentic Jets jersey with "Schaub" on the back. Just a fantastic name.

17. Keeping It Real

Keeping It Real New Member

Nice Article by Michael Smith regarding Matt Schaub for those who are not familiar.

Schaub is safer bet than top college prospectsBy Michael Smith
    ESPN.com
    Archive

All you heard after this year's Rose Bowl was Vince Young this, Vince Young that. Jay Cutler was the talk of the Senior Bowl and the scouting combine. Now, nearly a week into free agency and six weeks before the draft, the hottest quarterback prospect isn't from college but rather is 24-year-old Atlanta backup Matt Schaub.

Word around the campfire is the Dolphins offered the Falcons a second-round pick and then some (pick or player) for Michael Vick's understudy before they swung a deal with the Vikings for Daunte Culpepper. The Falcons want Jets franchised defensive end John Abraham, but New York's desire for Schaub in exchange is holding up that deal. The Cowboys, Ravens, Titans and Vikings -- all in the market for a young quarterback -- have contacted the Falcons about Schaub and been rebuffed.

It's going to take a lot to pry Schaub -- a third-round pick out of Virginia in 2004 (the fifth quarterback selected) -- from the Falcons, and it's easy to understand why. With injuries and inept performances common, a quality backup quarterback is not a luxury but a necessity. The way Vick plays, he inevitably gets hurt. Schaub stepped in for Vick in Week 5 last year and made a nice r?sum? tape for himself, shredding the Patriots' defense for 298 yards and three touchdowns in a three-point loss -- this, one week after he impersonated Vick in the second half of a blowout win over the Vikings, running for 56 yards on four carries. Not coincidentally, new Jets coach Eric Mangini was New England's defensive coordinator last year and Vikings owner Zygi Wilf had a front-row (box) seat for Schaub's dynamic relief performance against his defense.

Rex Brown/WireImage.com
    In limited playing time, Schaub has convinced many teams he can be a top-flight starter.
    Remember: Three falls ago, Falcons owner Arthur Blank had to watch Doug Johnson quarterback his team when Vick missed most of the 2003 season with a broken leg. For the Falcons to make a deal involving Schaub -- and the impression I got Wednesday from speaking with one high-ranking team official was that he was not "untouchable" -- they have to be able to replace him with someone they feel they can win with when and if Vick goes down for a game or two.

Problem is, not many teams (how about Tennessee with Billy Volek?) can offer the combination of a starting-caliber backup and high pick(s) it takes to get Schaub. So then, it's up to the aforementioned QB-needy teams to make Atlanta a Godfather offer.

If I'm the Jets or Titans, I do darn near whatever it takes to get this kid. It says a lot, doesn't it, that both those clubs -- teams picking third (Titans) and fourth -- are exploring alternatives to drafting a quarterback early. As much as there is to like about Cutler, Young and Matt Leinart, there's no question each has holes in his game. Can Cutler correct the bad habits he developed playing with poor talent at Vanderbilt? (Oh, and FYI: From what I understand, Cutler didn't exactly blow the Jets away during his combine interview.) Can Young cut it as a passer at this level? And how's Leinart going to respond to a pass-rush?

We've seen what a crapshoot picking quarterbacks can be. Crap out early and it can cost you $20 million.

So if I'm going to role the dice, I do it on a guy who's cheap ($385,000 next year, the last of his contract, after which he becomes a restricted free agent) and whom I don't have to try to project as much. Even though Schaub has started only two games, he is 134 regular-season pass attempts more experienced than any of the top prospects.

The Jets took the unusual step of having players break down their college game film at the combine. They already have NFL film on Schaub. You know what he can do against a Bill Belichick scheme, a Ted Cottrell defense, pro competition. With the draft's big three, as Jim Mora's dad once said, you think you know, but you just don't know. I'm guessing the Jets and Titans have some doubts about the top guys and would prefer not to bet the house on an unknown.

Something else that makes Schaub attractive is that he has had great training. His position coach at Virginia was Bill Musgrave, his head coach Al Groh. In Atlanta, he has been tutored by Greg Knapp, who has worked with Pro Bowlers Steve Young, Jeff Garcia and Vick. When you watch Schaub, you see a big (6 foot 5, 237 pounds), poised and accurate passer. You see perhaps the next Mark Brunell or Marc Bulger or Matt Hasselbeck or Jake Delhomme -- all one-time understudies who have gone on to have success as starters. Schaub is bright and makes good decisions. Cutler, Leinart and Young will need time to adjust to the pro game. Schaub is ready to step in and lead right now. Atlanta took care of a lot of the grooming.

The Falcons would like to hold on to Schaub, and that's smart, but if the right offer comes along that could help them improve at several other positions, they'd be foolish not to consider it. Or maybe they just keep him this year, slap the high (first- and third-round pick compensation) restricted tender on him next year and make the rest of the league wait until he's an unrestricted free agent. But his trade value might never be higher than it is right now -- something for the Falcons to think about.

As for any teams thinking about taking a gamble on a quarterback, they might want to consider passing on investing a top-five pick and a large signing bonus in an unproven player. There are very few sure things when it comes to quarterbacks. Anyway, unless you're the Saints -- who pick second -- you don't know for sure whether you'll get the QB you want.

I still believe the top three guys will be good players, but Schaub just might be the best bet. He's certainly the safest.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Contact him here.

18. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

...hate the proposed trade!!

Atl needs to stop jerking us or we should just move on.....

Abe for Schaub + 2nd Rd pick...period!!!!!!!!!!

19. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

i posted this already, merge please

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Don't be like the clownish Saints. They passed up Leinart, Young, and Cutler for an injured QB in Drew Brees. Now, history would indicate that one of those '06 Draft QBs will be good, one will be mediocre, and one will be a bust, but I still don't get why the Saints made the move for Brees.

Imagine 10 years from now, if Leinart is real good and Schaub is the next Kelly Stouffer.