The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like either Harbaugh because they eat, drink, and sleep with football. I think Jim's personality is probably better suited for NYC but it is possible John is the better football coach. I would be happy with either one.

dogg, joe, HomeoftheJets and 2 others like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Talk of John Harbaugh got me thinking...what's Brian Billick doing these days? Wonder if he wants to coach again?

EDIT:

Or maybe Pres. of Football Ops?

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

is James Carpenter the only employee on the entire Jets organization, players, coaches, front office, to have been a part of a Super Bowl winning team? I'm not sure but it is possible.

I would like to see a coach or a GM brought in that has actually won something like that in his life. Maybe bring some more players in that have. Winners, for once, what a change that would be

4. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Kearse has one too i believe.
    The problem with that strategy is that those coaches/gms are rarely let go, and if they are it is usually for a good reason.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. JetLife5

JetLife5 Member

DeFillipo is my #1 choice, John Harbaugh is my #2. Would love Lincoln Riley but he's either staying at Oklahoma for a bit more or going to Cleveland.

Ideal scenario for me would be;

HC: DeFillipo
    OC: Kingsbury
    QB Coach: McCown/Romo

cgrec and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Very popular name, I am very interested in Kingsbury calling plays, but the main question is who is your DC?

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

There's a stat out there constantly repeated about head coaches that have won a Super Bowl with one team have never won a Super Bowl with another team.

Another reason I don't want John Harbaugh.

I don't follow college football so I don't know the intricacies of the college game or why he can't beat Ohio State.

He's a better pro coach/belongs in the NFL?

He's still my dream head coaching hire for the Jets.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. JetLife5

JetLife5 Member

Joe Cullen, defensive line coach from Baltimore

Ravens defense are 1st in points allowed per game, 2nd in passing yards allowed per game, 3rd in rushing yards allowed per game,, 1st in total yards per game allowed. Middle of the road in turnovers created and sacks but 3rd overall in tackling.

We won't be able to get Don Martindale (their current D-Coordinator) but we can get one of the brain trusts to the team. Good track record dating back to his time in Tampa Bay, Cleveland, and Jacksonville too.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Kingsbury's plays have been making the rounds in the league the past few season, may as well get him in the league too.
    Wonder who the 2 NFL teams are?
    Guessing Dallas and KC.
    Dallas is reportedly ready to fire Scott Lineman and Bieniemy is being linked to the Colorado HC position. Bringing him and Mahomes back together, with the rest of those weapons would be scary.

11. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Either Harbaugh or an otherwise successful college coach. We need to bring someone in who has actually led a successful program to turn around this loser franchise. The hot up-and-coming coordinator route works if you're talking about a franchise with even a modicum of winning in their recent history. This team needs a massive overhaul in terms of it's culture and I don't think the DeFillipos of the world are the best spearhead that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's in his contract, right? That's how things get "guaranteed," you know. And the Jets just decided to give away a roster slot to the Ten Million Dollar Mentor, right?

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As I continue to read all the great inputs on this tread I can't help but think about the process. If we are going to replace the GM then we must do that first, and let him be deeply involved with the selection.
    And if that is the case, why wait and waste valuable time after season end, and probably once again loose on the first and second best HC choices.
    If the leadership chooses not to replace Mac, then they are buying a bit more time but then we are weakening the top spot. Surely J&J know already if they are both goners or not.
    We are not the first choice for top talent. Let's face it.
    More and more I want to see changes made now, screw year end, and prepare for a better 2019 right away. The whole notion that it would impact the players moral is a bit of hog wash. If anything it should send them all a message. My two cents

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree!

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree that if they are of a mind to fire Mac, now is the time, for the very reasons you stated.

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Like Romo would ever come out of the booth to be a QB Coach.

Harbough is probably my number one and I am anti DeFilippo. That Vikings offense has been nothing great with all the weapons they have their and has looked very stagnant at times, not sure if it is their OL woes, but just an observation I have made.

17. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Didn't feel like combing through the whole thread but was wondering if Gregg Williams' name had come up at all. I know he is seen as a bit on the crazy side and he seems to have been effectively 'blackballed' out of a HC position ever since "Bountygate". But I have always thought that he was a great DC and a tough, disciplinarian coach who could be just what a young team like the Jets needs.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

HC- John Harbaugh
    OC- Kliff Kingsbury/Todd Monken/ Taylor bros
    DC- Gregg Williams

I’m liking the idea of John Harbaugh more and more each day but then his OC hire would be the most important decision. I’m a bit concerned he’d want to bring Marty back with him.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

College unlike the NFL doesn't have a draft or a cap. You have to separate recruiting from coaching. The one advantage a good College coach has in year 1 and 2 is if they were great recruiters, they might give you an edge in drafting for a year or two since they know almost every great prospect and have interviewed them and have a file on them. Seattle built a SB team on 2 drafts after Pete came out of SC. He clearly cheated in recruiting but he did an amazing job of recruiting and it paid off big in those drafts.

Ohio State has a huge recruiting advantage over Michigan. OS recruiting is competitive with Alabama. One of the reasons I'm not a huge Meyer fan is he has underperformed his talent. OS should be a top 4 team every year based on their recruiting.

What I like about Harbaugh is his SF team had one of the most physical defenses in the NFL and a creative enough O to go to a SB with Kapernick running the show. He had the balls to move on from Smith, a good QB who was limited to have a more dynamic O and it worked.

I would be very happy with either Harbaugh but I wouldn't be happy with Mac picking the groceries for either Harbaugh. Jim probably has a pretty good handle on the incoming draft. If we were able to get him I would want him having a big say in who we drafted.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

A totally irrelevant stat. Did you get that from Pro Football Talk or Francessa?

You realize something never happens until it does? That a past anomaly does not control or direct the future?

Jim Harbaugh is a fucking weirdo. Seriously, a strangely quirky dude. Look it up.

John is thrice the coach and not nearly as wacky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.