The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I was thinking about making this a separate thread but I wonder if Josh McCown would make a good head coach. He's from the offensive side of the ball, he has the respect of the men in the locker room, and I think he would put Sam and the offense in a position to succeed. I also think after Sunday, he knows the importance of drafting for the o-line. I might get bulls*&t tsunami coming at me for this suggestion, but if no one wants the Jets head coaching job, he could be a solution.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Maybe an OC role but from player to HC with zero coaching experience is a guaranteed fail

3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would have been in favor of McCown taking over for Bates after the bye week as the OC. Either it was a spectacular disaster that helped us net a high draft pick or it could have given the team a shot in the arm and woken up the offensive side of the ball a bit.

But to jump straight to HC, as was said above, without any coaching experience, wouldn't be the right way to go. I would definitely be open to the idea of him as the QB coach moving forward and could see him potentially as an OC somewhere down the line. He does have the respect of the locker room, and that's a big piece of the whole coaching thing, but it's not the entirety of it by any stretch.

4. barfolomew

Both of you are right, player to head coach is too much, but I was just swinging for the fences on that one.

I think he will definitely be the QB coach next year. That's why we paid him $10mil, not for his play but so he'd stick around to coach rather than look for one last fat pay check from another team.

I could see him potentially becoming an OC sooner rather than later.

5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I think this is a fair question. I still like Filip but don't think I'm still "in love" with him. Hasn't Carmichael been with the saints for a while now? For me that might end up being a pretty big red flag.
    Toub Is interesting, but isn't he more of a special teams guy? I would think we'd have more interest in offensive guys.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If not Harbaugh, roll the offensive dice: . Lincoln Riley (with Kliff Kingsbury as OC).

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've gone on record as saying that I prefer a HC with previous success as an NFL HC, That really limits the pool. I still prefer that, but if I had to go for Plan B, I'm leaning towards Toub from KC. He's been successful as a ST coach wherever he's gone and obviously knows the game and how to motivate players, and he's had a chance now to learn at the feet of Reid. In fact, here's my "swing for the fence" suggestion: Throw a ton of money at Reid to come here as the GM and bring Toub as the HC. I know the odds are against it happening, but Reid did walk away from Philly so he can be enticed, although he didn't have QB like Mahomes in Philly. Still, he might be ready for a new challenge.

In the end, it can't hurt to ask.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I believe Reid was fired in Philly after a 4-12 season in 2012. I doubt he leaves a great situation in KC to this organization.

stinkyB, HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

nm

#149 NCJetsfan, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  10. ColoradoContrails

You're right, he was fired. But I would still try to entice him, as impossible as that seems.

11. NCJetsfan

I like your "out-of-the-box" thinking, but I doubt that Reid is ready to leave coaching to be a GM. He has a great team and has a chance to win a SB or several. Even if he were, why would we want him to be our GM? He has zero experience in scouting and personnel, in managing the cap, making trades, or negotiating contracts. Now if you meant bring him here as VP of Football Ops, I could be on board with that because of his experience in the NFL, knowledge of the game, and knowledge of how to build a team.

12. ColoradoContrails

Agreed, he's not likely to come here, an certainly not as a HC, hence the GM idea, But I also agree that he would be better suited to the Pres. of Football Ops, however I don't believe the Johnson Boys are gong to go that route - I don't believe they will relinquish that much power - so that's why I said GM. As GM he can certainly hire people to help him with cap and personnel issues. As for scouting, I'm pretty sure the trading up for Mahomes was all him, so I'm not worried there - in fact I see him being a huge improvement over Macc and his supposed scouting expertise.

13. NCJetsfan

Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. There is no reason why we should want Reid as GM. As a HC he has the knowledge and experience. As VP of Football Ops, he has the knowledge and experience to be successful. As GM he has none of the necessary skills or experience, and probably not the knowledge, either. If he has to hire people to do his job for him, what's the point of having him as GM? I just don't see the sense in that. Besides, he's not leaving the Chiefs to come to the Jets.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

At the risk of getting some of you upset, especially NCJets, the rumor is getting stronger and stronger that the most well regarded assistant coach on his way to HC is non other than Taub. Apparently his body of work and in depth knowledge on both side of the ball has impressed many NFL executives. Special teams tend to deal with both sides and evaluate talent on a daily basis. Jut sayin

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Off the top of your head, hahaha. You're forgetting about Hank Stram's rug. What the hell was up with that thing?

[​IMG]

Chuck Knox

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Taub is probably the best candidate being mentioned. Well liked and respected around the league. Should be able to hire an excellent staff. Has been with Reid a long time.
    The ones who would complain about Troub, the special teams coordinator are the same ones who want to give Harbaugh complete control. You know, the special teams coordinator.

LAJet and FJF like this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So they gave him ten million this year so that he'd work for a half million next year? Got it.

18. barfolomew

Yeah absolutely, what's hard to understand about that? We paid him a premium this year so he would stick around and not go chasing another backup paycheck. He's a journeyman QB,,if we didn't pay a premium this year, there is no guarantee that he would stay. He'd probably pursue a last single digit million paycheck as a backup for a team that needs one badly.

19. ColoradoContrails

Well I still disagree that Reid wouldn't be a good GM if he wanted to be. Certainly he'd be miles ahead of where Macc started, and likely is even now. That said, the rumors are that Macc will be allowed to stay, and Cannizzaro's column in the NY Post today argues that he be allowed to pick his own HC:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/27/real-changes-for-jets-start-with-empowering-mike-maccagnan/

I still want Macc gone, but an alternative - again a long shot - would be to offer Reid the P.O.F.O position over Macc to oversee the building of the franchise based on football knowledge, not bean counting. This would be the only way I would want to see Macc stay on. If not Reid, then someone with his long experience in the game, with hands on knowledge of what it takes to be a winner.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm kinda down on Jim. He can't beat Ohio State. His brother has won at this level too. Both have done it with not Rodgers, Bress or Brady type of QB's. John Harbaugh would bring the toughness the Jets need. He had teams that beat New England.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.