The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Dude!

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Fail

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is not shaping up to be an attractive HC cycle. It would certainly help if Harbaugh shakes free but I’ll believe it when I see it. Best options seem to be.

Harbaugh
    McCarthy
    Carmichael
    Toub

I’d also interview Monken and Taylor to see if they knock your socks off during interview.

4. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Just from the viewpoint as someone who lives by DC, I have heard that many fans want Gruden fired. Not sure if he would be that attractive candidate name but just another one to throw out.

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Pass. One shitty franchise’s trash is not what we want or need.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Since we began talking about Bowles' potential successor, I've wondered why Chris Peterson gets no love here. He ticks off the boxes for most of the qualifications that I've seen listed as desirable in our new HC. He's a winner. He's a creative offensive-minded coach. He's great at developing players. He's built two collegiate programs into powerhouses. He's respected. His teams play tough, hard-nosed football, yet they have some fun with trick plays (which I love). I think he should be at the top of the Jets' list of HC candidates along with John Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy. I've mentioned his name a time or two, and I don't think anyone even responded negatively. Do posters not know who he is? I don't think it's because he is a college coach, because several were interested in Matt Campbell, Urban Meyer's name was mentioned, Saban's name, and David Shaw's name garnered some support. Following is an article on him by John B from ganggreennation.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...-coaching-candidate-of-the-day-chris-petersen

Here are some links with other info on Peterson:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/chris-petersen-1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Petersen

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, impressive credentials. If they can't get a Harbaugh or someone like that, I lean towards a college HC who has at least had to manage and coordinate at a high level, as opposed to an OC/DC who has only ever had to oversee his own group. My only concern with Petersen is his lack of having to work on a "big stage". As a lesser concern, he's from the West, and his job choices have been primarily out there, so I wonder if he would really like working in NY. Having lived in both regions, I can attest that there is a night and day difference between attitudes in each region and some people find it impossible to adjust.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I got both Harbaughs and McCarthy on my list. Wishful thinking though, in all liklihood we get some no name coaching prospect dude that's never run an offense or developed a QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Hes got great credentials..hes just got some disciplinairian in him which is what the jets need but have to be careful.Many of these college disciplinarians have a hard time gaining the respect,credibility & yes discipline of NFL players see Greg Schiano,Bobby Petrino & even Nick Sabine.

He definitely deserves an interview but i just worry that he loses the locker room & we end up even worse off in the long run

10. NCJetsfan

Thanks for your response. I'm not worried about his losing the locker room. I've never heard anything even remotely resembling that from his collegiate players. I know that the NFL is a different game, but I think he's smart enough to handle it. The thing with being a disciplinarian is to not be a dick about it. The players know they need discipline. Even if they don't, they need it, so I don't give a shit whether they like it or not. I'm fed up with the sloppy play, mental errors and stupid penalties. They're professionals and paid well. They can do their jobs to the best of their abilities, or they can hit the road.

Since he is creative and makes it more fun with trick plays, has had a lot of success at the collegiate level building two national powerhouses, and the Jets are one of the youngest teams in the NFL, I don't think that wlll be an issue at all. I think the players know that their play has been sloppy and it has cost them. Further, I don't care if the players don't like him. Players hated Tuna, but they played well for him. As long as they respect Peterson and stay focused, I believe that he can build a winner, and they'll respect him.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I like Peterson a lot, think he's a top football mind. But he's spent his whole career in Boise, Idaho and Washington State. Highly, highly unlikely he'd ever come East and especially to the biggest media market on the planet. Doesn't seem like the type. I wish he'd consider it.

12. NCJetsfan

You're probably right, but we won't know unless we ask him. It could just be that those were the two places he was offered a job that he liked the situation, and it wasn't so much about location. At least, that's what I'm hoping, but think you're probably right.

13. I would give Brian Boyer an interview.Hes the only coach worth a damn on this staff.Hes shown us something this year.Hes very impressive in PR settings hes sharp & hes tough. His unit has improved by leaps & bounds.

Now does he hold players accountable & understand all 3 facets of football? No idea.But i think its healthy in any crucial job search that internal candidates no matter how much of a long shot they are should be included for insight,contrast & perspective.

Its also a “plan z” fallback option if Mac is retained & nobody wants to come here.Both guys are on a short leash until proven otherwise and/or a prime candidate willingvto come here becomes available hopefully sooner rather than later. Certainly not ideal & i know NC is gonna rip me a new one :) but when it comes to this franchise you have to have a plan Z & i like what ive seen from Boyer in all facets

NYJFOREVER and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m very confident that the next coach will have been an offensive coordinator before .
    I’m hoping for Carmichael and he brings westhoff back with him

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Peterson is an excellent coach and should have success if he were to move up to the NFL but I believe the feeling among league executives is that Peterson doesn't want to coach in the NFL and prefers college.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards Carmichael for his offensive strengths, especially with quarterbacks but his resume has a huge hole as far as head coaching and the administrative experience needed. It could be that his running entire offenses may compensate for never being a head coach, but it is definitely a concern.

How does Westhoff fit in the mix here? He's a guy the Jets should have held onto at all costs but he got away. Now he's the OC in New Orleans and the Saints have no obligation to make him available for a lateral move to the Jets. At the same time Boyer may be the only bright light on the current staff - what would you do with him?

17. FJF

Isn’t every coordinator considered going to come with that administrative hole in his resume? That is ,to me,just the leap of faith every team has had to make at some point.
    As for westy, I would offer him special teams coordinator/asst head coach. That makes it a promotion not a lateral move. If I am a new head coach I want a guy like westy coming with me. The guy breathes football and knows the organization well.
    I like Boyer and have remarked that he should be considered to stay on with the new coach but there’s no guarantee he would want to and I am definitely taking westhoff over him.

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No, a lot of coordinators may have run their own program at the college level on their way up or may have already been an NFL Head Coach and then went back down but, as I said, everyone is going to have some boxes that don't get checked.

As far as the STC/ Assistant head coach designation, I checked the NFL Anti-Tampering Policy and it recognizes only two categories of coaches, Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches, there is no recognition of a Coordinator as anything other than an assistant thus, even moving a QB coach, for example, to be OC is a lateral move. Lateral moves can be permitted but no team is obligated to do so. That makes it pretty unlikely that New Orleans would allow Carmichael to drag along Westhoff or his Offensive Line coach who looked like an OC candidate to me.

Here is the policy:

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Policies/7-2018 Anti-Tampering Policy-Clean Version.

And here are two excerpts.

(i) Two Tiers of Coaching Staffs. For purposes of this Anti-Tampering Policy, each coaching staff is divided into two tiers: (1) head coach, and (2) all assistant coaches.
    Although each club is permitted to use any structure and titles it may choose for its coaching staff, the two tiers described above will be adhered to for administration of this Policy.

(4) Lateral Move. If an inquiring club wishes to discuss an assistant coaching position with an assistant coach who is under contract to another club at any time prior to the opening of the employer club’s training camp, it will be considered a lateral move, and the employer club is under no obligation to grant the assistant coach permission to discuss the position with the interested club. At the discretion of the employer club, however, such permission may be voluntarily granted.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. FJF

What benefit would the team get by holding a coach against their will? Westy May be a pipe dream but your idea of the o line coach is a good possibility. The saints, most teams, won’t block a coach from advancing and on top of that I believe that most ast coach contracts are year to year. For just such a reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.