The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I liked LaFleur early, and still think the Jets should have interviewed him. If the Packers are really going in that direction, I'm surprised. I definitely would have thought that they would have gone with Monken.

2. NCJetsfan

They credit him for developing Nick Mullins QB of the Niners at Southern Miss. who has played well for the Niners, and he threw for 4,000 yards for Southern Miss.

He is credited with developing Adam Humphries, helping Mike Evans stop dropping passes, Chris Godwin, and others with the Bucs. The Bucs were one of the top offenses in the NFL this season while Monken was calling the plays.

He doesn't force players into his scheme. He schemes to suit the talents of his players. He's the one that got Jameis Winston in a groove towards the end of the season. He got him easy throws to get him into a rhythm and build his confidence and then opened things up. That would be great for Sam.

#2022 NCJetsfan, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. Well its already been clarified that hes the defense’s passing game coordinator.

However i find it troubling that you would completely discast him having experience on both sides of the ball if he WERE to be calling offensive passing plays along w his DB duties & Defensive roots? I get you dont want him & want an offensive coach but what the heck am i missing here?

DB coach w DC roots also contributing to offensive pass plays is the very DEFINITION of having a hand in both sides of the ball. Its all a moot point but im not seeing your logic here even slightly

4. NCJetsfan

I'm puzzled why you can't see it. Even if this was an offensive position, it would be his first year in that capacity. He would have been only responsible for one half of the offense, not the total offense. He probably wouldn't have been calling plays. One job as an offensive coach, and in his first year at it at that doesn't even begin to show that any questions or concerns should be forgotten, and that he is qualified on both sides of the ball. Frankly, I'm puzzled as to how/why you would have thought that made him qualified. I see no logic behind your reasoning.

5. How many head coach candidates have backgrounds on both sides of the ball? Not many. They usuallly start as an intern/scout,positional coach & then a coordinator. Thats usually on one side of the ball. Knowledge of the opposite side of the ball in most instances would come from general exposure & ultimately becomming a HC when these items for the first time become a focal point.

If Richard or any other candidate has had conventional success on one side of the ball including being a coordinator AND is calling 50% of the plays on the other side of the ball for a playoff team no less..what does that say?

To me it says hes a well rounded candidate w albeit a primary background on defense however w a strong pulse for the other side of the ball. Im not even sure how this can be argued.

BacktoQueens and NYJalltheway like this.
  6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Dear Chris Johnson,

Hire Todd Monken after the interview. For once, make me happy.

Chris

abc likes this.
  7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

MONKEN is the guy ...make it happen Mac.

abc likes this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think "Biff Dingleberry" is a much better alias .

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Dabo Swinney.......
    Go get him Chris.

FJF and Cman68 like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am guessing anyone under 45 years old is crazy for Monken, Kingsbury and Rhule as if these 3 are the TOP candidates even though they have very little or zero NFL experience and prob no clue how to really develop our franchise QB

Sorry ..I see this as just flavor of the month, emotional reaction for some unproven Coaches with some College level success..with Cliff K a losing record but hes an Offensive genius?

Even that youngster Sean McVay at least had some NFL experience

What am I missing here? Some of you guys need to grow a brain

#2030 NYJetsO12, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’m under 45 and prefer candidates with more NFL HC experience.

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Frank Reich paid his dues in this league and despite being a coordinator he had a hell of a lot more experience than some of these guys. We’re talking 5 years as a successful NFL offensive coordinator and a super bowl ring.

Monken, Fabio from Texas Tech, scooter bienemy, the Baylor coach, etc.. even Reich was more qualified than they were

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez looks like bowles will get a job in tampa before the jets hire a HC.

14. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

And Reich had been interviewing for HC gigs for 4 years on and off.

Its lunacy. Everyone wants the next McVay, and I have a feeling we're going to end up with the next Coslet.

How quickly everyone forgets Chip Kelly. Who was light years more experienced than Dingleberry. How about Spurrier? Saban? Butch Davis?

For every Jimmy Johnson, there are 10 college football coach failures.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Arians and Bowles is a great combo for Tampa. He should have a DC job in this league. Also we are still interviewing people which means we are finally doing the smart thing by being thorough.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  16. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Todd Monken is 52... I like what I have read about him & I would like him as the next HC of the Jets.

hwismer and FJF like this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Fans also forget that McVay walked into a turnkey football team, they had a QB, RB, WR, and oline.

They also had pieces on defense, McVay hired Wade Phillips, not some unknown Kaci Rodgers type to handle the defense.

I’m not saying it was easy for McVay but he had the most important pieces of the puzzle.

Jets have Darnold, and ????

The next young innovative mind better be the reencarnation of Bill Walsh because there is a lot of work that needs to be done with the few pieces the jets have in place.

If it’s true that Monken has been successful with average talent at the NFL level and gotten everything he could from them then I can get on board with him, and hope Mac drafts better players starting this year.

NCJetsfan, abc and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yes i am aware of that.....but many fans, deservedly so, want to know where the jets great combo is?

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well there’s been literally one head coach officially hired and he wasn’t even a candidate for our job. Let’s be patient. Also acknowledge that a combo you might not like doesn’t make them a bad combo. I want nothing to do with McCarthy but should be be the guy, I’m more than willing to wait it out and see the results before claiming the whole thing is a failure.

20. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Yeah I really don’t think we’re getting him and I don’t care much for him anyway. Would be fine with gase or monken and kingsbury I guess don’t really get why Rhule is a candidate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.