The official Hire Eric Bieniemy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, Oct 1, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Even Carroll was in the NFL and as a head coach before going to USC.

Off the top of my head, there has been Kingsbury and Rhule who are too recent to judge. Chip Kelly failed epically. Jim Harbaugh is the only other I can think of in the last decade. Weird with Harbaugh being released so soon after so much success and then straight back to college, which seemed like his choice. There were a slew of bad ones all through the 2000’s.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Of course. Spurrier, Saban, Petrino, Chip Kelly, etc. Three out of four tried to revolutionize the NFL with gimmicky offenses that weren't adapted for the league.

We'll see - I do think you're going to start to see more and more guys migrate towards the NFL because of the changing characterization of the players. It's also an easier off-season without all of the recruiting flights and what not.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  3. Mickey Irish

Mickey Irish Active Member

The reason to worry about a Bieniemy is he has the best young QB in the NFL plus a very talented roster and Andy Reid. I am worried that Reid + Mahomes and his weapons can make any offensive coordinator look good and the guy isn't the play caller as far as I know. Not saying it wouldn't work or he couldn't be great because you never know, but those are some legit concerns. If only we could hire a proven winning NFL coach like Mike McCarthy who has run an entire football team before.

4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Just say No to Bieniemy.
    1) Outside of Dan Reeves name 1 successful HC that was a RB. RB is probably the position of the field that requires the least amount of football IQ to succeed. Reeves was a college QB so he was not a pure RB.

2) Bieniemy is a career RB coach - Andy Reid is the mastermind of that Offense, both in game planning and in game play calling. It is not like Reid was some unaccomplished coach with struggling offenses before Bienemy.

3) Hiring the hot coordinator of the day seems to never work out across the league.

Jets79 and Mickey Irish like this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Could be. The league is full of guys who are career coordinators or failed head coaches... It may be true that aside from schemes there is more in common between NCAA HC and NFL HC than NFL OC/DC and NFL HC.

I do believe however scheme is important, and I think there are a couple of coordinators mixed in the lot that have the skills to be a head coach. As of right now I’m leaning towards the coordinator pool, but I think charismatic leadership is highly valuable, if not the most valuable. Something both Bowles and Gase don’t have. Rex Ryan had it, but I think among other issues he became a caricature of himself.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Ryan Tannehill

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

out of all 4 major U.S. team sports (football, baseball, hockey, basketball) I think coaching is most important and has more of an effect in football than any other. Coaches call every single play. Every one. They determine personnel on the field every single play. They call a defense every time.

baseball managers don’t do shit outside of spitting out sunflower seeds, setting the lineup and calling for relief pitchers....basketball coaches do set offenses and call 1800 timeouts at the end of the game, but that sport is more fluid and dynamic and results are really determined by the few elite players like a LeBron or a Jordan, etc. Hockey I’m least familiar with but it is also very fluid activity. Soccer who the fuck knows...kick the ball in the goal and let’s go home after putzing around for an hour and a half with two scores to show for it.

I mean, yeah, I’m being facetious but honestly coaching in football is huge and absolutely determines games.

I think it was Madden who said something like that coach (sorry can’t remember who exactly he was talking about) can beat you with his own players, and then you could switch players and he’ll beat you with your own players...

I always remembered that quote even though I can’t remember who he was referring g to....could’ve been Lombardi....

with a competent coaching staff, this team may not be a playoff team, but we wouldn’t be an 0-16 team either if we had a Reid, Velichik, Carrol, Payton, or Harbaugh running the show.