The Official Hire Brian Daboll Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by MaximusD163, Oct 1, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Brian Daboll has years of experience as an OC, and has spent time with good and bad coaching staffs. Some highlights:

-Various position coaching jobs in New England under Belichick (Off. Assitant, Def. Assistant, WR, TE). Was part of the staff for 5 Super Bowl Championships.

-Co-Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach for the Crimson Tide under Saban for 1 National Championship. The year Tua came in at halftime.

-Here he learned good coaching strategies.

-Coached under Eric Mangini, Tony Sparano, and Romeo Crennel, learning how not to coach.

-Has been with Josh Allen all 3 years as Buffalo OC. No offensive mind above him to take credit for play design, play calling or QB development.

-Overall playoff appearances as a coach in the NFL: 10 out of the 20 years he has been an NFL coach. 5 Super Bowl Wins.

-QB’s worked with of note: Tom Brady, Jimmy Garropolo, Brett Favre, Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa, Josh Allen.

PJ4Ever, chandler, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
  2. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I think Daboll would be a great choice

Nice job!

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd put him and Arthur Smith above Bieniemy when it comes to coordinators to consider.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

The thing about Arthur Smith is that he has worked almost exclusively for the Tennessee Titans and this is his first ever OC job. Smith is exactly the type of coach who would come to NY, flame out, and do better somewhere else later with experience.
    How can you want to hire someone as a HC who currently has less than 1.25 years as a coordinator?

Cman68 and boozer32 like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/09/25/...oach-candidate-for-the-new-york-jets-in-2021/
    Maybe I'm a sucker, but this article had me sold.

6. MaximusD163

On top of that, Arthur Smith has been an NFL coach for 11 years, and has been on playoff coaching staffs for 3 of those 11 years. He has been on zero championship coaching staffs in either College or NFL.

People are excited about Arthur Smith because he makes Ryan Tannehill look good on a stacked offense, and a 14-8 record over the span of 2 years.

I don’t dislike Arthur Smith, but he is not experienced enough for the Job.

wewantsapp likes this.
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Daboll has been with every AFC East team at one point. Was the OC with Cleveland, Miami and KC and sucked and nobody wanted anything to do with him. Funny how things change when the personnel gets better.

I think he would be a disaster of a HC. Same with Roman, Smith and Bienemy. These guys are just the latest coordinators that are on good teams.

8. MaximusD163

Who would you prefer? Miami, Kansas City, and Cleveland were his opportunities to get out from under Belichick/McDaniels, and who would you attribute the success of the Bills offense to if not him?

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The personnel playing well. Also it's been 3 games so, well see what happens.

I think if the Jets hired him he will be awful. If some other team hires him he might be alright. Would depend on the personnel.

10. MaximusD163

So the personnel is also designing the plays, and calling them, and coaching themselves?

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You make a compelling case for Daboll, and your reasons for not wanting Smith are valid.

I think Daboll could be an excellent choice, but then I think Lincoln Riley, Bieniemy, and Greg Roman could be as well. I think Arthur Smith will be in a year or two. The thing is, since the Jets' roster is probably at least a couple of years away from being ready to compete, do we let him learn and grow on the fly during that time with little or no pressure? He could become a great HC, and if we wait, we miss out on him.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Resume is stellar but I'm worried about that Belichick coaching tree. We have flamed out with Mangini and other teams have had horrible results with coaches coming from New England.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Daboll is very high up on my wishlist but I still think Bienemy is tops on my list.

I know he hasn’t called plays but his leadership skills are gushed about by everyone that talks about him. I think he would walk in the door and command respect throughout the entire team.

Plus the Reid coaching tree has been mostly successful.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I don't think they're doing anything revolutionary no.

15. MaximusD163

Your answer doesn’t make sense

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This was the guy. Max nailed it and we chased a mirage of awesome energy instead.

He'll coach the Jaguars or Broncos to the playoffs next year.

17. MaximusD163

Sometimes being right is not fun.

I’m not 100% out on this staff yet, I can see the bigger picture of it all, but I still would have preferred Daboll.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I want to see someone with experience of being a head coach but honestly I really don't think its going to make much difference until they sort the QB and other key positions - no-one could win with this team

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The real problem here is Woody and Chris don't know anything about football. They certainly shouldn't be the ones hiring the GM and HC. They fail at it time and time again. I hope JD and Saleh work out. I think both will get at least another year and probably 2. If it comes down to cleaning house again does anyone trust the Johnson's to hire the right people who can turn this franchise around. Maybe the league can help the Johnson's in recommending someone to come in as President and let them hire the next GM/HC if JD and Saleh don't work out.

NY Jets68, cmcm750203 and abyzmul like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember years ago I read this piece on Woody Johnson about how he went on a motorcycle trip with a bunch of other rich assholes and he was "finding himself". Now these guys were referring to Woody like he was in an awkward kid phase but I'm pretty sure the fuckin dude was in his forties.

This guy never had any real responsibility in his life and bought a football team to give him some sense of responsibility outside of organizing charities and playing tennis. It's like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, the NFL Years.

The more I come to terms with the reality of that, the less I can realistically expect from the team.

NY Jets68, REVISion and cmcm750203 like this.