The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yep.
    We tried that too.... unfortunately the spots I headed to had the biggest headboat in town posted up on it :mad:

Wednesday's another day

Cman68 likes this.
  2. stinkyB

Big brother schools him again.... 2 upper slot trout on topwater plugs

We're headed out on my buddy's dad's boat tommorrow..... hopefully something big with blue stripes shows up

bicketybam likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

5. bicketybam

Guys were following him in a boat. They took him and the kayak back.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. bicketybam

Question for you guys regarding braid. I use this Suffix 832 for my freshwater stuff. Is that ok for saltwater or is there a specific saltwater braid I should be looking for?[​IMG]

7. Cman68

Not really. Usually with braid you'll be using either mono or a flourocarbon leader as braid has no stretch as you know. I tend to go with brighter colors as I'm on a head boat and I need to be able to see my line against the backdrop of seawater. Your Sufix 32 is a great line, but that green may vanish against seawater. I now go with burnt orange or light blue braided lines. Anything hi-vis will work. Don't worry about the fish seeing your line as the length of leader will offset.
    Of course some brands are better than others. You do get what you pay for so stay away from the cheaper brands. Also stay with 8-strand braid too. Less isn't enough and more is overkill IMO. Yozuri, Momoi, PowerPro, Sufix at the top. Nomad, Hercules, Spiderwire at the mid to lower end. You'll be able to tell by the "bleed" of color which ones are higher quality.

#1927 Cman68, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    bicketybam likes this.
  8. stinkyB

Ive seen that video before (I think I my have even posted it here) pretty F-in awesome....

Suffix is good braid.... I've become partial to Daiwa J-braid. I dont mess with "Hi-vis" bright colors aside from mono on trolling rods as we'll often have 100+ yds of line out, and multiple lure spreads... other than that "vanishing in seawater" seems like a good thing to me ;)

btw.... we saw one marlin yesterday... but he didnt eat :(

Then bottom fished for a little bit (current was ripping) but we got 10 nicer Triggers... then moved inshore and got 2 big snappers

bicketybam likes this.
  9. Cman68

Its not so good when the guy next to you crosses your line because he can't see it. Again, I'm on a headboat whereas you guys aren't. From about 50ft on down color tends to fade so fish really can't see color at those depths. With 10-20ft of leader, they 'll never see the main line. The high vis is for my benefit and the guys fishing close by. Easier to untangle too. A lot of guys in jersey go with Yellow followed by blue then Orange. Every now and then, you get a guy with black line. He's the guy always tangled up with somebody.:D

#1929 Cman68, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  10. Cman68

Good read on line visibility at certain depths.. I can tell you for a fact the water off the Jersey coast is nowhere near as clear as this video.. :)

#1930 Cman68, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  11. bicketybam

I fished off a group boat once. Never again.

12. Cman68

Well, if you have options, I wouldn't fish headboats either.. As it is, I'm fishing with quite a few folks on a big assed boat for 8hrs usually.

13. stinkyB

fair enough

14. bicketybam

I'm starting to get some tackle for striper and fluke fishing. I didn't realize that the jigs didn't come with hooks. They are 150 g slow pitch jigs. What size hooks should I get for these jigs? Also I'm assuming I'm going to need the rings as well. Can someone help me out?[​IMG]

15. bicketybam

@stinkyB @Cman65 Any help? I want to get this stuff ordered so I can start some striper fishing. I appreciate the help.

16. Cman68

Johnnyjigs.com. . YouTube will show you how to assemble jigs, assist hooks, split rings and swivels. Sound complicated but it really is easy.. johnnyjigs.com also has a instructional video on this too.

bicketybam likes this.
  17. stinkyB

bicketybam likes this.
  18. stinkyB

Ran my boat out yesterday..... brought this kid thats been begging me to take him for awhile.

Netted bait fairly quick. (probably overloaded livewell). Started run offshore. Seas were a bit tight for 17' boat, so we stopped at a wreck around 6-7 miles out (originally had intentions to go 16). Sardines were thick.... open livewell and dead pogies :mad: (not sure if wire got knocked loose pounding on way out or kid just put too many baits in there (only 15 gal).....

tried to troll the remaining livebaits we had without much luck.. Then got baitwell working again, and sabiki'd a bunch of sardines..... which were getting whacked by Cudas and "endangered" red snapper (I've never seen snapper just free swimming like that) I had one take my sardines on the sabiki rig on my 2500 spinfisher to the bottom... almost had him but eventually 10# line just gave out on bottom. Also broke off a hoss on the bottom rod (80# leader wore through.. probably rubbing on structure). Did catch and release a small one or two

No luck on king mackerel as everything else was chomping our baits... and big cudas started showing up, kid got a nice bonita (false albacore) on the flatline on my baitrunner. All in all a fun day, but not meat int he box (which wouldve been nice to offset fuel), but listening to the radio chatter, apparently none of the "pros" (charter captains) were having good days either, so that made me feel better ;)

Never tossed out slowpitch jigs as I didnt want to feed expensive pieces of metal to all the cudas swimming underneath us.... summers here

#1938 stinkyB, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    bicketybam likes this.
  19. bicketybam

Not sure if you guys have heard of or watched John Skinner but I bought his online bucktail fishing course. It covers everything bucktail from fluke to stripers. Really good stuff. He fishes eastern Long Island and the west coast of Florida where he spends his winters. His first fluke video had him fishing Moriches Bay.

He also has his own line of bucktails made by S&S. @Cman65 have you ever used them?

Cman68 likes this.
  20. stinkyB

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my brother jerks off to his books

bicketybam likes this.