The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

2. stinkyB

3. stinkyB

Dang covid.... forced me to turn down another offshore invite. :confused: Mahi migration's in full swing. The 3 of them (mostly just my buddy as he was fishing with his dad and dad's friend) had 20 before noon. (50 miles offshore too), then switched out lures to try and find Big Blue...... no luck there, but a big wahoo came up and ate off the brand new daisy chain teaser he just made :D

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why did you turn down the trip? Did you get it?

5. Cman68

I made it out last Wednesday for a little mid-week fishin. Its spawn for BSB's as I found out while cleaning the catch. I see why fishermen stay away from head boats on weekends! It was a pleasure with no googans around to tangle up everyone. Final count: 1 Silver Eel, 2 Ling and 21 BSB.

With the actual limit being 10 BSB, I thought it would be prudent to just keep what I had in the box and take it home for cleaning. No pics as I cleaned them yesterday. Now I need to make more room in the freezer for my next Tilefish trip. Got a buddy whose freezer went out on him and he lost all his fish. Told him I could help as all my fish are vacuum sealed soon as I get them home.

6. stinkyB

Yes..... over 10 days out and it still wont die :(:mad::confused:

and may is our best month for fishing by far (offshore and inshore) :mad:

#1886 stinkyB, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Cman68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Sorry to read that Stinky.. Take care bud and kick back until you're good again. If you ain't got your health, you ain't got nothin...

stinkyB likes this.
  8. stinkyB

Thanks. Feeling better, but still some lingering effects (fatigue and shit in my chest) but I Finally tested negative yesterday :)
    Ready to get after it.... but Mother Nature has been confused. May is probably the nicest month, but it's been blowing non-stop (short period chop) which has really putting a damper on my small boat opportunities.....plus it's humid as summertime.... :confused:

Hopefully a window coming for the upcoming new moon... of course its a holiday weekend so I'm sure boat ramp / nearshore spots will be a shit-show (there's been some nearshore grouper I want to get into) so I'll probably just troll. My brother may come down from NY, so hopefully I can put him on a drag screaming fish :cool:

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of the Jigging World Nexus rods? I was thinking of pairing the Penn Slammer IV 3500 with the 7' MH Nexus spinning rod.

10. stinkyB

I've heard those guys make good product (based in NJ, rods from china?)... but are you looking for a jigging rod? I would go traditional spinner rod for kayak fishing..... until you're feeling extra frisky and taking it into deep water of the sound ;)

bicketybam likes this.
  11. bicketybam

I don't believe it is a dedicated jigging rod. This is the description from the website:

"A Jigging World Nexus Spinning Rod is a great modern rod. It is perfect for inshore fishing from a boat or a kayak. The Nexus is constructed of carbon making it lightweight yet powerful. It features blank through construction and has a very sensitive tip. The guides on the Nexus are designed for fishing braided lines. It has a graphite reel seat and custom EVA fore and rear grips that are very comfortable. If you're on the hunt for inshore species like redfish, fluke, striped bass or porgies, add a Jigging World Nexus Spinning Rod to your arsenal. Add your favorite spinning reel spooled with braid and you are good to go!"

I guess I'll find out when I go to cast a swimbait for the first time, lol.

I'm looking for a second setup and TackleDirect sells Penn Spinfisher VI combos at a decent price. Again, I'm struggling with which size to get. They pair the 3500 size reel with a medium light rod. The 4500 combo comes with a 7' medium power rod. I'm leaning towards that.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. bicketybam

One more consideration. What about a live lining spinning reel as my second setup?

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

Shimano Baitrunner is the one to buy. Great for live lining or chunking. Front and rear drag settings and you don't have to trip the bail to let line out.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. bicketybam

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to order the 6000 size Baitrunner.

@stinkyB You previously recommended Star Rods. Any thoughts on their Handcrafted Live Bait Spinning Rod to pair with the Shimano Baitrunner?

Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  15. stinkyB

That would be a great combo. I have a big baitrunner (8000) for offshore.... have caught some solid fish on it. Super smooth.
    6000 is still pretty big. This will be good for big stripers / trolling. Will be too big for inshore sight fishing / tossing lures from the yak regularly

I have 2 2500 spinfishers for inshore (and a 6500 for offshore) on Star "Stellar Lite" rods. I think the penns may be a little "tougher" but definitely not as smooth/precise as the shimanos

As far as sizing.... I'd say the Penns run bigger. My 6500 spinfisher (older one v?) is about the same size as my 8000 Shimano..... and the 2500s are about the same size as a 3000 shimano. Daiwa's are similar

#1895 stinkyB, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
  16. bicketybam

Awesome. I appreciate the help. I would use the Nexus for casting and this setup for trolling/live bait. I like to fish with 3 rods and I already have a slow jog rod (Goofish.) I would like a conventional reel for that, no?

17. bicketybam

18. stinkyB

19. bicketybam

What should I be looking for? And why the emphatic no. I saw it as a recommended reel for that particular rod.

20. stinkyB

I'm super skeptical of these off-brand China reels that the specs/price seem way too good to be true......good luck getting warranty work done if needed. There's gotta be a reason theyre never sold in real tackle shops / sites.

And don't use Amazon for ANY recommendations, nor those websites with lists that link right to amazon listings either ;)

if you're shopping online.... www.Tackledirect.com :cool:

btw, how much is that gomexus?

#1900 stinkyB, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
    bicketybam and Cman68 like this.