The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Nothing like a Gator Blue to get me hyped up for fishing this year!!

stinkyB likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

you can get to those guys in your boat ;)

and bickety in his new kayak (those pedal ones are like cheating)

bicketybam likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That was a cool video. I've never caught a stripper and I lived a mile from the Hudson for 15 years. I just never fished for them. I was into largemouth bass fishing on the NYC reservoirs.

One for the guys that worked on my outdoor kitchen has had a kayak for 5 years and fishes the Sound in CT. He going to take me out and hopefully we'll hook up with some decent fish.

I've caught plenty of blue fish and they fight like a mofo. But their teeth destroy lures and I won't eat them. To "fishy" for me. And those teeth. You can lose a finger.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Blues are good smoked. They also make good bait for Tilefish chunked. I love the fight blues put up. I've been lucky they haven't chewed up my slow pitch jigs since those cost over $10 a pop. When I was a lot younger, I fished Spuyten Duyvil on the Hudson river. Never caught anything other than a uni royal tire as the water was really bad back then (mid 80's).. Came close to sundown and the rats were my queue to get the hell out of there. Caught plenty blues in the LI sound on boats out of City Island in the Bronx. I did see a young lady stick her hand in a blue's mouth to get her jig out once. Bad idea but to her credit, she wrapped her bloody hand up and kept on fishin..

5. stinkyB

I've never caught a striper either.... when I was a kid in LI, they were pretty much fished out, then we moved to FL. Theyre back though, my brother catches them from his kayak.
    Like Cman said, theyre good on the smoker (I'll grill them too, heavily seasoned).. bleed them once you catch them. Granted theyre not the best but sometimes when it's all you got.... especially when I was broke in my early 20's ;)
    But yes they have chompers. We get them here in late fall and spring.... prob about 20 years ago I was tossing a spoon in matanzas inlet and it was non-stop, standing on the bank in shallow water.... well one lil bastard got hooked pretty good, and as I was trying to pull the hook out, he chomped my finger and i basically had to squeeze his head till his eyeballs popped out to get him to let go. That sucked, but yeah I kept fishing..... they're fun to catch (especially on topwaters), just use your old beatup lures so you dont care if you lose em

#1825 stinkyB, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Cman68 likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I release everything I catch. If I want fish to eat I buy it. I'm not a huge fish eater and just within the past 10 years or so have I mixed it into my diet. I like cod, halibut, Chilean sea bass and tilapia the best. Anything stronger just doesn't sit right with me. I do not care for salmon at all.

One time I was fishing a small pond in a park down the road from where I lived at the time. It was full of 1 pound or so largemouth bass and sunfish. Well I was fishing a little meps spinner and something hammered it. I though for sure it was a 3 pound bass (I was using ultra light tackle.) It fought like hell for a good 30 seconds and then just gave up the ghost. It turned out to be the biggest crappie I've ever caught. It was so big that I brought it home and ate. It was delicious.

7. Cman68

When it comes to table fare, Sea Bass is ok, but I think LingCod or Cod is far better eating.. Thicker filets makes broiling far easier to manage correctly. Butter and whatever style of seasoning you prefer.

bicketybam likes this.
  8. Cman68

Looking good for Saturday. A bit lumpy but fishable.. Saturday.GIF

9. stinkyB

burned a bunch of ga$ the past two days chasing manta rays to sight fish cobia..... hooked a nice one... then he spit the jig on the 3rd run :(:mad::(

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Cman68

Weather reports holding for my Saturday Cod Trip. Might be a bit lumpy so I'm leaving my P1 (100-300g) rod and bringing my P2 (100-400g)rod. We'll be between 100-300ft so I should be good using midrange SPJ jigs in the 150-250g weights. Also bringing a bait rod just in case jigs aren't on the menu..

stinkyB and bicketybam like this.
  11. stinkyB

My last two bottom fishing trips, I outfished friends using bait with jigs :cool:

POSSIBLY.... last chance to chase rays looking for their cobia hitchhikers again on sunday. conditions will be borderline, but Probably the last chance until next year as they move north.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Tough day yesterday off the Jersey Coast for Cod. I think the Capt. gambled that the wind and water would calm down as the day went on but unfortunately, that didn't happen until the last hour of the trip. High winds, 5ft short period waves and cold air made for a really tough conditions. It also made SPJ impossible. Water Temp 47F. The fish simply weren't interested in anything. Full boat and only 4 Cod over the rail. The upside is that I practiced my retrieves and used various styles of Jigs learning how they fall, what weights to use, etc. Lesson learned? There are conditions where SPJ won't work up here in the NE. I'm thinking once the water warms above 50F, things will pick up. Kudos to the Capt for moving the boat often.

When life gives you lemons....

Tight Lines!

13. stinkyB

Dang that sucks....

Ocean is unexpectedly calm this morning.... currently debating on being "irresponsible" or not ;)

Cman68 likes this.
  14. stinkyB

I'm officially done chasing manta rays looking for cobia.... :confused::mad:

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Headed back out on May 18th for a Black Sea Bass Marathon on the Big Jamaica out of Brielle, NJ. Doing a weekday run and yeah, playing hooky too. Hopefully no googans if I'm lucky. That's the first week of Sea Bass season and googans will be out in force on all the headboats.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. stinkyB

Yeah, weekdays are a must in that scenario... good luck. I kinda missed our seabass window here.. BUT been getting the boat ready ($$ :() for big fish season. Bought a Penn fathommaster downrigger yesterday..... Been building bamboo gaffs (calcutta strong stuff). Got some mounts for the boat that to be installed

pray that May 1st is lake atlantic for my lil boat.... opening of grouper season and a new moon. Unfortunately its a sunday

#1836 stinkyB, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    Cman68 likes this.
  17. Cman68

Do you guys have any Golden or Blue Line Tilefish down your way??

18. stinkyB

yeah.... 65+ miles offshore

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Isn't that in the middle of the Gulf Stream? I can only imagine what the current is there..

stinkyB likes this.
  20. stinkyB

for us its the west edge of the stream usually..... NE FL is a WAAAAY different ballgame than south FL

Our "ledge" (the beginning of the rolldown towards the stream (where all the best fishing is) is around 55 out.... and we fish around 150-200'... the tiles and such are around 200-500 and yes, current can be cooking if you dont plan the moon phase properly but you can get lucky... often more trouble than its worth. Even another 10 miles out off jax. Basically the Gulf Stream really kicks out before Cape Canaveral

yesterday I also finally got a rod for that Boca 50.... Star Stellar lite. It was my 3rd choice on my list (wanted a terramar, I won't lie, the blue matches the reel LOL), but 1st 2 choices they didnt have (Strike Zone either had the cheap stuff, or the $$ stuff... apparently I'm not the only "middle of the road guy) but Ive had a $100 gift card burning a hole in my wallet. Theyre good rods, I have 2 lighter ones I use for inshore on my 2500s for tossing jigs and topwaters

just finished compound/waxing the cockpit of the boat... to prepare for the (hopeful) bloodbaths that are about to ensue :) (she cleans up well for an old girl... think I can use that line on my girlfriend?> :eek:)

Cman68 likes this.