The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Got skunked yesterday.

Wife had her baby shower so we went out trolling and deep dropping. Weed was scattered everywhere which made it a bitch to troll. Pulled up to between 700-850 feet and dropped for tile fish. Tide was way too strong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Skunked here too..... ran my lil boat offshore with a buddy yesterday.... about 5 miles out, motor starts sputtering / misfiring under load, so we turn-around to slow creeping back to shore.... then she stalls. Fired right back up, then ran like a champ :confused:..... prob a fuel issue / water after all the rain we had.

so then we trolled some baits near the beach and missed 2 kings that bit naked ballyhoo rt behind the hook.....(shouldve added a stinger)

then when we got to dock, I told my buddy to pull everything off the boat before I pulled it out of the water.... he didnt listen and I prob smoked the clutch on my lil burro :mad:

Falco21 likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What do you tow your boat with?

4. stinkyB

Nissan Frontier 4banger 5spd. :D

never had a prob before.... prob didnt help that he weighs 250, and we didnt burn much fuel

#1644 stinkyB, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Cman68 and bicketybam like this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well cleaned it up more the other day, pulled off the front upholstered sections and then decided to take it out yesterday. Looks like I'll be selling it after all. Had water seeping in from somewhere, didn't see anything when we took it out for a test run before I bought it. I'll check to see if it's something simple I missed but I couldn't see anything obvious. Just strange we were out for 1/2 hour the day I bought it but the water shows up after I am in the water 10 minutes this time.

On the bright side, this convinced the wife that next boat we will spend a bit more on. Just have to, hopefully, get back most of what I paid for this one.

#1645 The Waterboy, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  6. stinkyB

Yeah, I didnt want to be "that guy" and rain on your new purchase, but that's kinda why I said it..... they put carpet in those things to hide stuff..... my job involves looking at boats all day ;)
    If you dont mind, How much did you pay for it? "Cheap" boats never really end up being "cheap" in the long run..... ask me how I know :(

If you really want a decent lil boat, let me know size and (realistic) budget and I can help steer you towards which ones to look at

#1646 stinkyB, Aug 10, 2021
  7. stinkyB

How much did that cost?

Cman68 likes this.
  8. The Waterboy

Paid $1500, being all I saw at that price before this one were hulls with no engine or nonworking inboards I should have known but I'm always a sucker for a cheap price. Around here I should be able to recoup most of the money but still pissed I saw nothing when we went out on the test run. I was going to take my friends brother who works on 2 cycle engines and knows boats pretty well but he wasn't available and I can be an impulse buyer.

Not sure how it would be related to the water showing up but before I took it out yesterday but I saw some water coming out, even though the drain plug had been out for a week, cleaned out a bunch of debris and the water poured out as if the drain plug had been in the whole time.

I'll let you know when I get ready to look again, probably after the season is over when I figure prices might come down a little. Going to be a busy 2nd half of year for me so would have been nice to have something now to go out on when I get a break but if I wait a few months I'll be able to get something much nicer. Probably be looking in the $8-$12K range. Should have just rolled the money from selling my travel trailer right in to a boat I guess.

stinkyB and bicketybam like this.
  9. stinkyB

Yeah, water finds a way, especially with all the rain we've had.... add some crap in the bilge and it'll plug stuff up....at least at that price you should be able to dump it without taking a hit, but I will say a Bayliner with a Force....not a winning combo :eek: just get the motor running well, and clean the boat up for a bit and someone would prob buy it... but yes, 1500 normally is just an older hull (I almost purchased older mako 17, and a whaler hull for this price.. knowing it would be a gut and rebuild project)

8-12 should get you something decent / nice in the 17' range if you look... smaller will get you "newer" (I just paid 8500 for mine.... before everything else... and I also drove 5 hrs to miami to get it). Key West, Scout, Sea Pro, Sailfish, decent "mid-tier" boats... maybe luck into an older Whaler with a re-power, but people have been asking stupid $ for them lately (paying for the name).

I recently talked my neighbor out of buying a few different "cheap" 4k boats, (told him to think of re-sale as well in case you ever need to dump it) and he found a 2004 15' Key West in Daytona for 7500, and theyre stoked...... with the mad rush on boats this year, you'll start finding used ones again this winter as I'm sure all the peeps that bought used ones are realizing what B.O.A.T. stands for and will start dumping them if they cant do the work themselves.

If you go 2 stroke, Yamaha 90hp TLR is prob the most dependable 2-stroke ever made

#1649 stinkyB, Aug 10, 2021
    The Waterboy likes this.
  10. bicketybam

I bought a Bombardier Seadoo Challenger 2000 new back in 2001. It had the optional Mercury 250hp motor. I used it for tubing and blowing around the lakes up in the Catskills. It was a ton of fun and was pretty fast. The best reading I got on my GPS was 53 mph and on water that's hauling. The best part was that it planed in less than 4 seconds. It was very manueverable as well. They stopped making them years ago but I sure did love mine.

11. stinkyB

My lil boat:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

aside from fixing fuel tank shit.... I've added a bunch of rod holders.... "poor mans outriggers" on the bow, and 2 of those racks on the console. Bought a VHF too but havent had time to install it. (T-storm as soon as I'm done working at 5 has pretty much been a lock :confused:)

bicketybam likes this.
  12. stinkyB

faster than I want to go in a small boat.... mine will hit 40 at 5300rpms..... cruise close to 30 at 4200. Comfortable run in the ocean doing 20 (2'+ seas)

13. The Waterboy

Appreciate the info, outside looks good after I put the old lady to work on it Saturday and the engine does run good. Already had the regular low ball people throwing numbers at me expecting me to jump at their offers so I figure if the low ballers are offering $1000 sight unseen then $1500 should be possible.

For the next one I figure on keeping it 16'-20' and something I can take on the lakes as well as the gulf. Need something I can use but also get something the wife and her daughter can ski behind since they were both big skiers years back.

On that note I can't understand why I can snow ski fine but suck at water skiing, while they were both great water skiers but all they do on the ski slopes is pull me down when they are falling.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. stinkyB

15. bicketybam

It was meant for lakes, calm ones at that. Definitely would not want to be in the ocean with it. But on a calm lake it was some serious fun!

stinkyB likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

$75. My rod builder did a really nice job too. Looks like a factory rod. He had wrapped it on the right side. He didn't know that a right side acid wrap is for left handed anglers. That was the reason for the re-wrap.

17. stinkyB

Dang, that's a good deal!

18. stinkyB

yeah, different ballgame..... My buddy's dad has a 36 Cape Horn w/ triple 300 Yammies..... thing will do 50 if its flat. :cool:

19. stinkyB

Decided on a late start to run the beach with a buddy yesterday.... Had some fuel issues with the boat again :mad: (Im thinking water is getting in through tank seal maybe... or maybe crud still working its way out?)... dumped out the racor filter and we were back in business.... too late to run far so we trolled the beach for a bit. Got one decent Kingfish (15-18#), missed another. Had fun getting smoked by a bonito on my 2500 spinfisher with a litle mirrolure plug. Got in rt before the T-storms at 4...

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Headed out tonite for my annual Tile fishing Trip to the Hudson Canyon. Weather looks great with 2ft seas and a South wind which means we'll be in the shade for the hottest part of the trip. Will be on the Voyager out of Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ and will be bringing both a jig and a bait rig. Jigging in 300-700ft will be a challenge as I've never done it before. Bait wise I'll be fine with the rig I'm bringing.

This should be fun as its the first of my big 3 trips in '21.

stinkyB likes this.